New to 2 oz triggers

For what it's worth, I'd like to add a couple of points/facts:

1: the "new" Savage target action is not the same old Savage model 110 action of yesteryear and in the hands of a good gunsmith like Fred Moreo it can be set up to shoot competitively.

2: a shooter in an IBS sanctioned group match won at least one class using a rifle sporting a Savage action. This was reported in the match results in PS some time ago. We had pretty much this same discussion in the Factory/Hybrid forum where this was also mentioned.

Life.....

Well I just nailed a deer on the way up to see my dad tonight. It tore the car up pretty good. I know have to recover from a $1,000 deductable. This definitely puts the aquistion of a BR gun on the back burner.

Any how, hope to meet some of you at a match some day. Tim

I finally got around to making some adjustments today while waiting on the insurance adjustor.....Madza 6 = 1, Deer = 0. However, since the deer did $5,200 in damage I think it really won.

Anyhow.... Using 1/3 oz fishing weights on a string with a lightweight hook on the trigger, I determined the trigger was set at 1 2/3 oz. I took the weight up to a full 2 oz. It would still slam fire if I closed the bolt aggressively about 15% of the time. I increased the engagement screw about 1/4 turn. That did the trick. I tried to slam the bolt closed over a hundred times and never got a slam fire. The trigger breaks between 2 and 2 1/3 oz. It still has a tiny bit of travel in it, but I am going to try to shoot it this weekend before adjusting the travel.

It feels pretty good. Maybe some of you Jewel experts can judge the SSS Evolution trigger compared to a Jewel when I pull it to a match next month.

tim

It feels pretty good. Maybe some of you Jewel experts can judge the SSS Evolution trigger compared to a Jewel when I pull it to a match next month.tim

Yep, I'd like to try it. I'd think you'll be OK in the 2OZ range and of course no slam fires. Have heard good things about the Evolution trigger but of course only when SSS has performed the proper timing.

Sorry about the car, glad no one was hurt.

cale

Back