New Range

HovisKM

NRA Life Member
Hello rimfire guys,

I have a question for those who shoot rimfire. I am building a new range in southern Indiana (zip 47581). I can equip this range for rimfire shoots also at very little cost. My question is, what organization should I go with in this area of southern Indiana and secondly, is there really enough interest to pursue it.

Looking for advice. The range should be ready to go in late spring or early summer next year. It will be a 18-20 bench range.

Hovis

You can go with the three major games, IR50/50 is a weekend game, once a month, I think you can do RBA during the week along with ARA. RBA has different games with sporter only, 3 gun and UL, and IR you can do 3 gun in am and UL in the afternoon. As I understand it you can have evening games under the lights in ARA.

I'd look for what the shooters at the other ranges in the area are shooting, so you can attract those shooters for your matches. I know there's some ARA in Indiana, not sure about the others. You can go on the home page here and look up the ranges in your region and get contact names of some match directors. Best of luck with it, whichever you choose.

In Indiana, you'd be lucky to get enough entries to turn on the lights for RBA and IR 50/50. It's ARA territory but there are several south Indiana ARA clubs already. Check their scheduals and coodinates events if you decide to have shoots.

Hovis,

The range set up for all of them is the same. RBA and IR50/50(which I prefer) also shoot 50 meters in major events (State/Regional/Nationals). ARA has more shooters in southern Indiana. It only requires one gun and has unlimited weight and scope power. We are shooting ARA and IR50/50 at Red Brush Rifle Range near Evansville (pictures at http://www.redbrush.org ). Take a day off from the range Sunday and come on down...IR in the morning and ARA about 11:00.

Send me an email if you need more information.

Jim
IndianaJames2000@hotmail.com

I would go with ARA for now your only about 35 miles from Livonia, In.
They shoot ARA there. I would say you would get a bigger turn out for ARA right now.

I agree with EAL. ARA is the game of choice in Indiana. Nothing against Indiana James, but Red Brush is the only club shooting any of the other 2 disciplines....to my knowledge. Many clubs have set weekends for their matches year in and year out, so set yours to the best you can for least competition for competitors. Call the other match directors and ask questions (I'm one), and listen to their testimony. Best of luck Hovis. I'd love to see another rimfire club.

John M. Carper

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys,

I have been leaning toward ARA every since I thought about having rimfire matchs. Simplicity of guns, night shoots (I plan on having lights), etc. The only rimfire shoots I have shot were ARA over by West Washington, Bill C. had invited me over and I shot his XP a few times.

I've been to Red Brush a couple of times with a friend. I believe you guys have been pouring new bench tops with their forms. I used the same forms to pour mine. There is another club down by evansville that has started shooting centerfire BR also. I was there during their last shoot.

The one thing with shooting rimfire at my range is that I will need to find someone to actually run the matches most of the time as I won't be there. After spending this much money on a range, I really don't want to see it set idle most weekends.

Hovis

Back