New Hermes

O

oldpup223

Does anyone know where I might find a power spindle to use instead of the scratch type?
I already have a motor so just need the spindle. I don't really care if it is not specifically for my model or not as I can make it work, I think. I have a TX 62 model.
Thanks
Denton

Ebay has them occassionally...but the price gets crazy...usually $125-$200...

For New Hermes knowledge and parts. Carl Clouse-972 226 3700. Carl is getting on up in years, but worked at New Hermes for many years and has a stock of some parts.

Thanks to all that answered but I have already contacted Carl and he has fixed me up with everything I need.
Denton Smith

That's good to know - I was given an old New Hermes engraver a couple of years ago, along with a bunch of fonts. But from what I've heard, the ATF wants to see chamber info engraved more deeply than I can scratch with the point that came installed on my machine. I'll give Carl a call....

Are you sure flatlander? I don't think you have to engrave or stamp anything on a barrel. Would you point out where it is written? I do it to keep a possible future owner from trying to chamber the wrong cartridge. This has been brought up before and I have never seen it written in a book by the BATFE.

Butch,
I got that from another local 'smith here who'd been through an ATF audit last year. They've been doing an awful lot of such audits in this area - in fact, they put out the info that they intended to audit every FFL in the state within the next year. I missed the informational meeting the ATF hosted at Dodge City a year or so ago - had it in mind, but didn't make myself a note to attend. But regardless, I've spoken with several friends - either FFLs or gunsmiths, or both - all of whom have been audited within the last two years, and that's where I got that little tidbit.

You know, I hear things like that from time to time, but have not seen it in writing. I'm looking for a crook in Dodge City. His name is James Linthicum. He has taken off with a few folks rifles.

Whoa - Jimmy the Brush is gaining notoriety far & wide. Never met the guy, but from what I hear, he's quite the artist - in more ways than one. Some folks I know commissioned him to do a bronze statue, paid him in advance, and never did get the bronze. Friend I just spoke with says yes, he's heard that firearms have also gone missing. I do believe he's burnt all his bridges in the DDC area, but the last my friend heard, he's still around.

He is also know as a stockmaker. Carl Kramer of the Dodge City Police Dept. has visited with him and is putting several cases together on him. He has been evicted from his residence on Brightside. His folks live in Okla.

The only thing that I could not get from Carl was a 5/8" set of fonts that I wanted and I also would like to find an old broken cutter shank to try to use. I want to drill and install a #1 center drill and try that for a cutter. I may be able to find a piece of 11/64" drill rod and use that.
Denton Smith

Everything you want is probably on Ebay...just search "New Hermes"

Just remember that when you buy fonts from anybody, get an inventory of what comes in the set. You need to make sure that you get sufficient fonts to be able to do your work. Had a friend that was so proud of the price on the set that he bought. When he received it the socalled set only had one each of numbers and letters. That ain't a set.

You might be able to get cutters from Bellco. They have carbide cutters that have different size radius cuts on 1/8" diameter. I've used a .010" cutter with power head for engraving on barrels that were to be teflon or cerakoted. As to the depth that the engraving has to be, it just has to be .003" deep. I'd like to see how a BATF agent measures scratched engraving to ascertain that it's shallower than .003".

Last edited:
For engraving cutters, check out Antares online also. I've bought cutters from them for my Famco. They produce solid carbide split point cutters in about any diameter and point dimension you might want. I've had the best luck with .005" tip and 30 degree angle. They don't get too wide in the lettering when engraving a little deeper.

Back