New H&R 5200

Calfed

I recently glommed an H&R 5200 at an auction. Very similar to my H&R M12, but with a walnut stock.

HampR5200h.jpg

HampR5200-1.jpg

HampR5200a.jpg

HampR5200f-1.jpg

HampR5200c.jpg

A buddy is putting on a small bore "match stick match" on Monday, so I used a Viani scope mount and mounted a B&L 6-24 scope on this one. I took it to the range yesterday along with a Remington 513T that I will be using (my younger son will use the H&R).

Both rifles shot well, but as the practice session went on, the H&R developed a habit of not extracting the shells. Toward the end, every shell had to be pushed out with a brass rod from the bore.

Anyone know what could cause this?

Depending on the ammo could be a wax build up in the chamber, rough chamber, Or just that particular type of ammo. These have a relatively tight match chamber, although I do not know the specific dimensions. Had a friend with a Annie that during cold ( below 30F) unit would always fail to extrac and after about 20 rounds you could not even chamber another. Never a problem in people friendly weather.

Could be right about this...the bolt was somewhat difficult to turn when chambering a round...I assumed it was a "match chamber" issue, but I haven't cleaned it since I got it. Also, it started out working fine...after 70 or 80 rounds, the problem started.

Thanks.

I'm guessing you've got the mother or all carbon/lead rings in the chamber. Also, the last thing you want to be doing is repeatedly pushing any rod from the muzzle, pry them out with a smalll screwdriver,etc

Gave the chamber and bolt face a good cleaning last night and will report back if it solved the problem.

I cleaned out the chamber, bolt, and barrel and got far fewer failures to extract.

I've got a couple of M12's and compared the spring tension on the extractors on the 5200 to the M12's...M12's seemed to have more tension.

My son and I shot the match yesterday, he with the 5200, me with a scoped Remington 513T. I mounted a Bausch and Lomb 6-24X scope on the 5200 and a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10X on the Remington.

Untitled-13.jpg

Untitled-11.jpg

It was pretty cold (low 30's) for these parts and it seemed to have affected the zero of the rifles. Winds were light and variable. We had to re-zero the rifles a bit to get them back on target. The match was shot off a sand bag front rest, no (except for your hand) rear rest At 50 yards.

Here is my son's warm up target. Unfortunately we turned in our official targets.

Untitled-10.jpg

The bullseyes on the left and right were to warm up and re-zero the rifle. The center group was a 5 shot (.403") group to confirm the re-zero. You can see some of my son's match stick hits as he settled in on the target. He was using the CMP black box practice ammo.

I'm kinda interested in what honest-to-God target ammo would do.

Last edited:
Mr Calfed,

There is an outside chance you may have a dimple at the top of your chamber caused by dry firing the rifle. This will cause erratic or no extraction. It is possible to "Iron Out" the dimple or burr if you have one. Brownells sells a tool for this particular situation. I have a rifle that, because of the pin having been modified, caused the Dimple. I was able to Iron out the dimple several times until I was able to have the situation in the bolt corrected. Since then, No problems :).

Last edited:
Thanks, Pete.

I'll check that out. My son only got two failures to extract during the match out of maybe 50 rounds fired. So it is much better than it was.

Back