New guy, caliber question

gkgeiger

I'm ready to buy. I know the make and model I want, I just can't decide on caliber. I've been told (by long time shooter and club member) to buy 6NBR. The problem is, for some reason that caliber is over $200 more to buy the gun and of course the ammo is twice as expensive as .223. I will be reloading at some point but not at the beginning. I'm sure some of you have deliberated this. I guess the question is, how much more accurate is 6NBR then .223? This gun will be used solely for Groundhog matches at 100/200 yds. Thanks for replying to my rookie question. By the way I'm 72 and cost is important.

depends on the size of your target.
at short range, 223 is fine with hand loaded ammo, tuned for
the rifle. never shot any factory 223 ammo.
same for 6br...hand loaded ammo is great.
a lot depends on the twist.

you need to tells more about each rifle, and your target.

The rifle I'm looking at is a Savage 12LRPV with a 9 twist. This is what the target looks like. I took this from accurate shooter site.

I my opinion you should be fine in the 100/200 matches with the correct ammo for the 223. If you were going to 400/500 I'd opt for the 6br with the 8 twist for heavier bullets.

at 100/200 i would shoot 50-55 vmax
if windy maybe heavier like a 68/69.
75 vmax maybe too long for a 1/9.
you will have to try and see.
223 should do well with
QUALITY AMMO.

Find an old 788 remington in 223, 222, or 6mm rem they shoot great out of box but I would replace trigger. Timney makes a good one. have ll the 788s except 44 mag

groundhog matches

GK -

Howdy !

Factory ammo being as $$$ as it can be, perhaps the " point " at which you start reloading is..... now ?

Loading your own is one avenue towards controlling shooting costs, and also towards finding/developing the most accurate loads.

It's a matter of keeping a handle on cost invested in the reloading gear.

With regards,
357Mag

Not being sure just what range

you will end up shooting I would opt for a fast twist 6mm BR shooting 90-105 gr range bullets. JMHO.

What a great choice for shooting paper at 100/200 yards.
Esp when he said costs was an issue.

"This gun will be used solely for Groundhog matches at 100/200 yds"

you will end up shooting I would opt for a fast twist 6mm BR shooting 90-105 gr range bullets. JMHO.

Well, I have a 12 LRPV in 6br 1-12" on the way. That what 99.99% of the club guys shoot, so I found one and made it mine. Now I need to buy some reloading equipment, a scope, and scope rings and I'll be ready to show my inexperience.

Several more things to consider

The best shooters at your club can recommend front and rear bag options as they are just as important as the rifle and bullet selection. You will need a 36x scope to see bullet strikes at 200 yds on the small goundhog targets without having to buy an expensive spotting scope. Both the Weaver T36 or Sightron 36x are excellent scopes for the money <$400. At my club shoots one needs to be able to produce sub 1/2 moa 5 shot groups consistently to be competitive. Good luck.
Rich

you said money was a concern, so now the bad news.
you need to spend money on quality optics to get the full benefit of the rifle.
you need a quality front rest and rear bag to get full benefit of the rifle.

having been a member of the buy cheap and move up club, i can tell you
do not do it. buy 1st quality the first time.
a heavy front rest will allow repeated shots, a light rest will move.

honestly you could have spent less on the rifle, and with the right support equipment
been ahead of the game.

esp if this is a used rifle.

Rifle is new. I already have a Caldwell Rock Br (not the best but good enough) with Protektor bags. I'm shopping for a Weaver T Series XR 36x, but most places are out of stock. I'm always looking for the best deal, and usually find a way to get what I want. .

Funny thing

What a great choice for shooting paper at 100/200 yards.
Esp when he said costs was an issue.

"This gun will be used solely for Groundhog matches at 100/200 yds"

how someone starts shooting one format, then begins to expand their disciplines. If someone is going with one gun, it best be adaptable to many situations. imho.

AND THAT IS WHY YOU TOLD HIM TO SHOOT 95-105 GRAIN BULLETS at 100/200 yards ??

keep tap dancing.

how someone starts shooting one format, then begins to expand their disciplines. If someone is going with one gun, it best be adaptable to many situations. imho.

Back