New front rest. Pics up!

Boyd,
Both of my Bald Eagles have a drilled and tapped hole in the rear leg. It looks to be 1/4"X20TPI and a pointed screw is in it.

Very nice skeet. Your buddy is a very skilled machinist! I bet the originator of the coaxial rest probably doesn't even sell them. He should have patented the entire concept!

The coaxial adjustment came about way before rests came out. How about a joystick gaming handle or the joystick used to operate a large variety of equipment, just to name a couple?

No I'am not...but if they will make a big difference I will need to get a set. Do they hold better and still maintain smooth operation?
eww1350,
I believe guys do that because they are pinning the rifle! If you use it in the traditional way and your pinnning the rifle agaist the stop , it would be pretty unstable,whereas you put both feet to the front when you pin the rifle only the single rear foot comes off the bench!
RAG are you using Butch Lamberts newer style tension screws? I just put a set on my Gen ll at the Cactus and it made a world of difference. $25.00 well spent in my opinion.

RAG,
They hold my 13.5lb gun just fine and I think they could be tensioned a bit more for a heavier gun and yes they are very smooth in movement. I wish I had bought them several years ago.

Boyd,
the second picture is certainly interesting, from the way it looks and the position of other things on the bench it almost looks like he is operating the joy stick with his right hand? It is interesting to hypothesise the why's of doing it that way and it looks like the centerline theory has merit, its interesting enough to me that I am going to try that at our next monthly match, to see if the gun rides the bags better.

I would have to take a guess that in the second picture posted by Mr Allen, that the gentlemen in the picture will not use his right hand to operate the joy stick. Unless he is pulling the trigger with his left hand? Lee

I'm confused. The gentleman is set up to shoot right handed. Yes, he would use his left hand on the stick. He has a right right receiver. It would be very hard for him to shoot as a left hander set up as he is.

Butch'
I am the one that looked at this incorrectly! If you look left of his wrist I saw what looked like wooden objects that looked like they were blocking his access to the joy stick. Upon a closer look you can see that the wood is actually lower than the bench top, which leads me to believe its a range stool! No doubt he is using it as skeet said. Looking at the edge of the bench under the trigger guard one might say that the reason for skewing the base is that he is aligning the left edge of the rest with the left edge of the bench?

Yes, that was the point of my posting the link. His rifle is undoubtedly pointed on line to the target, and it looks like the inside rear corner would be about to the outside of the bench. By rotating the post on the rest base, he can place the whole setup so that the rifle is easier to reach.

George,
The Gen 11 Farley has plenty of travel and I don't think the stick rotates. If it does you can use a straight stick like Skeet's and it doesn't matter if it turns.

George,
I have found setting up the coaxial rest properly makes a big difference. Your rear bag settles after a couple shots. Doesn't matter what rest you use in front. What works for me is to center the joystick side to side and in the lowest position. I do push the butt of my gun rather forcefully into the rear bag. Now I make adjustments with the rest so the rifle is aimed 2" below the target. After a couple sighters it is aimed at the bottom of the target. You now have the use of the full movement of your coaxial rest.

I think he is picking up the bolt and going to insert it in the receiver before making to many adjustment, if the command to insert bolts was given. ( 2nd picture) Randy

Last edited:
one thing i never did like about farley was the way the stick rotates because of the dog leg in it and lack of travel ....i see you friend thought of that ...ps everything is a copy of something else ..i like your friend copy better :D

The advantage to this is that you can rotate the handle to quickly adjust the vertical reach to keep your hand firmly planted on the bench top whether you're shooting on the record or the sighter target. It's really an advantage and I wouldn't want it any other way.

I think the best set up is Butch's top on a JJ or Sinclair base you dial the bottom in and do the rest with the top. It is the best of both worlds.....jim

The advantage to this is that you can rotate the handle to quickly adjust the vertical reach to keep your hand firmly planted on the bench top whether you're shooting on the record or the sighter target. It's really an advantage and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Or you can just set up properly on the target were you dont have to move the handle very much. I dont mind the straight handle but then again i though the dog leg handle was ok to. Lee

It may be better to not try to cover an entire target with a Farley. I have had problems in the past throwing shots when I got too hard into the corners. I adjust the gross elevation on mine now to try to eliminate that.

Back