New front rest. Pics up!

skeetlee

Fellas,
A good friend of mine has been busy in his garage and he made me and a couple other fellas a new rest. I think it is simply amazing what one man can do with a Lathe and a Mill. I would give anything to have this ability.
Here is a quick run down of the rest,
The rest weighs 35lb so it is heavy. I like the weight as i pin my rifles, and this rest wont move like all the others i have had over the years. I really cant tell you much about how it works other than it resembles a Farley on the inside. The bar you see that runs across the front is the squeeze adjustment for the bag. i think this is a great improvement over the Farley. On my old Farley the bag adjustment screw would hit the support post restricting movement. The rest also has tons of movement. Way more than my gen 1 Farley. Way more. You will notice the cut out for the handle is square and not round. Not really sure what else to tell you other than this rest is really slick. We do have a couple improvements we need to make. that is to be expected really on a project of this scale. The side plates for the bag are not tall enough, and we also have a slight bit of slop in the main adjusting baring. Howard already has these upgrades in the works. The slop in the the main baring doesn't effect anything, other than we wish it wasn't there. Howard is a perfectionist and these types of details dont go unnoticed. I am really impressed with this rest, and thats saying a lot. I didn't think i would ever give up my old Gen 1 Farley, but i think this rest has it beat. So with all that said i will post some pics for your enjoyment. Let me know what you think. Lee

rest2005.jpg

rest2004.jpg

rest2008.jpg

rest2007.jpg

rest2006.jpg

Last edited:
Great-looking rest. Hope it doesn't infringe on any of Farley's design because I really appreciate what they've done for us shooters. That aside, it is a great piece of work. I want to try the so-called "triple-sandbag" set-up that's on the SEB NEO rest, only with larger bags. That looks to me to be the most flexible set-up for a front rest that might be used for Hunter, VFS or F-Class.

Keep up the good work.

jim
My buddy made everything top to bottom in his garage.
Butch,
I dont know Joe Kubon.,nor do i know of his rest design. What does his rest look like? Any pics? Thanks Lee

Last edited:
Aside from a couple of small differences, the Magnum Metal and the Farley look very similar. Which came first? Does one have any advantages over the other?

Jerry

Pretty close isn't it butch. I like mine better though. I had an old Gen 1 Farley, and i really liked that rest. I didn't think i would ever buy another. There were a couple minor issues i didn't like about my Farley. One being the lack of movement, or range of movement. With the old Farley i had to be set up perfectly on a 100 Yard score target, or i couldn't clean it without moving the main height adjuster. Also the bag tension screws got in the way if i needed to move to the far left. This new rest i have, has a ton of movement and the bag tension adjuster is awesome. I can even adjust one ear at a time if i need to. Thanks for sharing Butch, I hadnt ever seen one of those rest. Lee

This rest of mine does not have reverse movement. If you move the handle up the cross hairs go up. Lee

Which one did you copy Butch,the Magnummetal or Farley? Is one better than the other?

Joe Kubon copied neither. The Magnum metal came out much later. I assume you have taken none of them apart or you wouldn't have posted what you did. The Gen11 is much better than the Gen1.
Lee, if you look at a Magnum Metal you will see what your Bud saw.

Not sure what you are referring to Butch. I do know that my buddy has never seen one of those rest. he is a high power shooter and not up on the benchrest type of stuff. He did take my Farley apart and looked it over real good. then he made his own rest. Yes i am sure he gained some much needed knowledge from the Farley. Not a big deal as far as i am concerned. He made some improvements as well. Much better overall travel and a much smoother operation on the handle. No round center rather a square center for better travel. The bag adjustment is unique as well. Much heavier also.
As far as the magnum rest. they look ok but i paid the same for my rest, and it looks like mine is made much nicer. Butch, your rest is also very nice. I just need a heavier rest for the way i like to shoot. I just wanted to share this with everyone. I didn't intend for this to become a "mine is better than yours" or a "your a copy cat topic". I just simply though some of the guys here might appreciate the workman ship of the rest i have. It truly is very nice! Lee

Very nice skeet. Your buddy is a very skilled machinist! I bet the originator of the coaxial rest probably doesn't even sell them. He should have patented the entire concept!

Skeet,
That's a really nice rest especially the way he set up the tension device for the bag , my only question is about the button sitting under the joy stick at the rear is that the rear foot and does it adjust? It looks like it is at a permanent height and just the 2 front feet adjust, am I seeing that correctly? I have the gen2 farley and when you want to tension the left side sometimes you have to crank up the elevation to get at the tension screw. I wonder if a farley could be modified to your friends system? I also like that he put a handle on the front of it! Just noticed the tiny bubble level nice touch.

Can anyone tell me the purpose for twisting the base on a Farley rest?...I see this in many of the photos of the Super Shoot and other photos posted on the IBS website...Just curious...??

By the way Skeet...I have Gen I Farley rest that I took apart and improved the movement and precision by replacing the square alignment rods with precision ground dowel pins...I was able to use the original tension screws and cured the uneven lift it had...now it is really smooth and precise...

Eddie in Texas

Other than the stop is in the correct location,I don't see much difference. Are they smoother and hold better? Will any of them hold a 10.5 and 22Ibs rifle and still be smooth and hold at the top? It's been pretty difficult to get my GenII adjusted to hold a heavy rifle at the top and remain smooth enough to make fine adjustments with one rifle much less when wanting to use rifles with a 10-12Ibs spread.

eww1350,
I believe guys do that because they are pinning the rifle! If you use it in the traditional way and your pinnning the rifle agaist the stop , it would be pretty unstable,whereas you put both feet to the front when you pin the rifle only the single rear foot comes off the bench!
RAG are you using Butch Lamberts newer style tension screws? I just put a set on my Gen ll at the Cactus and it made a world of difference. $25.00 well spent in my opinion.

Although I have not seen those particular pictures, I think that a good guess would be that the shape of the benches and the position of the targets in relation to the CLs of the benches may be the reason. In the past, I have read about, and seen pictures of the outboard leg front legs of Hart and Bald Eagle rests being drilled and tapped for a leveling point in the middle of the leg, because of these factors (Which may be unique to Kelbly's range). With the rest in normal configuration, the rear bag would have to be too far from the edge of the bench for the shooter to comfortably reach the butt stock, and the rule that requires the muzzle to be in front of the bench prevents any other solution.

Back