New experiment

S

shooter65

My buddy and I put some rubber shrink tube on our barrels today to see what effect it would have on barrel vibration and accuracy. Took almost 5 hrs to do two barrels. Need to clean the muzzle end up and put a tuner on it.
he did his Kidd barrel and I did my 52 barrel.

shrinktube1.jpg

shrinktube2.jpg

shrinktube3.jpg

shrinktube4.jpg

shrinktube6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a fair bit of experience "containing" barrels, but not with rimfire. With CF, heat will be an issue. With the large 1K heavy guns using large aluminum or steel tubing, we've put a water/anifreeze mix in the tube. Everything stays quite cool. With the LGs & no coolant: I had a 6 Ackley that for 10 shots or so would shoot lights-out. So five shots for sighters, a 5 shot group, and odds are you're in the winners circle. If you took more sighters, maybe not.

I tried that with a 10.5 pound PPC, and put water between the tube & barrel. But the tube was so close to the barrel at the back that the water wasn't even. That barrel setup would string shots down for the first 5 or so, then back up (still stringing) for the next 5 or so, before settling down. Needless to say, that wont work. I took the water out & things were better; there isn't as much heat from a PPC. I used that rifle for a full 2-day match, and had no issues with heat. It also didn't shoot too well, bottom of the pack. Whether that was me, the effect of the tube, the build, or a so-so barrel, we'll never know.

Moral: It may work, it may not, and don't forget heat, even in a RF. I think you'd have better luck with a tensioning or compression tube, but this is worth doing too.

Thank for pushing thing forward,

Charles

Edit: There have been some hints that a carbon fiber tube might help with vibration. Apparently some properties of carbon fiber. Of course, heat will build up; unlike the metals, carbon fiber is lousy at passing heat. The 54:1 issue of PS featured a cover photo of a .338 with a carbon fiber outer that had, the builder claimed, reduced recoil, because the Carbon fiber barrel. The builder was David Smith, who came up with the system marketed by Magnum Research. He claims "The carbon fiber suppresses vibration, but also reduces recoil by minimizing barrel flex so it doesn't snap back..."

Not that we care about recoil, but the other properties are interesting.

Last edited:
He claims "The carbon fiber suppresses vibration, but also reduces recoil by minimizing barrel flex so it doesn't snap back..."

Am I the only one who thinks this doesn't quite make sense? That or I have yet to consider barrel flex having anything to do with recoil.

Shooter- I like that you're testing a bolt action and semi-auto together. Awesome. Looking forward to the results.

Charles,

I ran into a guy last year who had a carbon fibre sheathed barrel. Unfortunately, he wasn't a worldbeater, so I formed no opinion about the success of the project.

John

Shooter 65,
Where did you find heat shrink tubing that thick and in that diameter?
I am looking for some in the 1-1 1/4" range with a thickness of 1/16" or 1/8" ( I have a piece of equipment I need to protect from a milliom kiddies - seriously)

For rimfire shooting I do not believe heat will be an issue- as long as you stay out of the sun.

From a shooting standpoint, I am interested in hearing your results. Have you had a chance to shoot yet?
Best of luck.
Steve

it's raychem, it can be bought it sheets, i've seen it i think 18 inchs by 36 inchs or so before.
it's used to seal pressurized cables and conduits.

My buddy got it from work. McMaster Carr has it.

Shooter 65,
Where did you find heat shrink tubing that thick and in that diameter?
I am looking for some in the 1-1 1/4" range with a thickness of 1/16" or 1/8" ( I have a piece of equipment I need to protect from a milliom kiddies - seriously)

For rimfire shooting I do not believe heat will be an issue- as long as you stay out of the sun.

From a shooting standpoint, I am interested in hearing your results. Have you had a chance to shoot yet?
Best of luck.
Steve

Did the test today with no tuner on the rifle. Weather was overcast and 50 degrees with light winds.

Ammo tested - Wolf Match, SK Standard, Eley Club, and Eley Blue Box 1073

No wind flags were used.

shrinktubetest40001.jpg

shrinktubetest10001.jpg

shrinktubetest20001.jpg

shrinktubetest30001.jpg

Steve, You can find the shrink tubing at a electrical supply house . We used them on underground wire repairs. Shooter65, I am not trying to hijack this thread in a different direction, just FYI. Ballard shooter

The shrink tube really helped the vertical. Testing was done at 50 yards with right to left wind.

It seems to like speeds around 1050. I have a tuner on order and will retest when it arrives. Will try Eley black and Tenex next.

10-12 years ago a friend & I tried this thinking that it may improve wintertime shooting at our indoor matches in the old Tuckertown barn by keeping the heat in the barrel. Couldn't tell any difference then and we never tried it in warm weather.

Vertical looks real good.Are you using wind flags? What kind of rest are you shooting off of? A bunch of that horizontal may be bags, wind or technique.
Keep it up. Thanks for the source info. Steve

I did not use any wind flags the day of the testing. The wind was blowing right to left.
I have a tuner on order from Dan K. which should be here this coming week. next test will be some black and red box Eley around the 1050 speed what the rifle seems to like.

Vertical looks real good.Are you using wind flags? What kind of rest are you shooting off of? A bunch of that horizontal may be bags, wind or technique.
Keep it up. Thanks for the source info. Steve

Not to be the grammar police, but I don't understand.

Is it

What we do in center fire with 6ppc is put dyno mat on first.
The[n] the shrink tube.
It works well.

Or

What we do in center fire with 6ppc is put dyno mat on.
First the [edit out repeated "the"] shrink tube.
It works well.

???

Back