New Eley Edge and Match

Dave S

NRA Benefactor Member
Recieved my test lots of Eley Edge and Match today and I have not had time to range test them yet. However, I did weigh a box of each lot # to see what kind of quality control I was looking at. After weighing one box each of two different lots of Eley's new Edge, I found the following.. In each of the two lot#'s, the difference between the lightest and heaviest round was 50.9 - 51.7 grains for a difference of .9 grains. My opinion, for what it is worth, is that this is quite a spread for quality match ammo..

When I weighed a a box of each of the three lot#'s of Eley Match, I found the difference in the lightest and heaviest rounds to be 50.9 - 51.2 grains for a difference of .4 grains. This is the range that most of my good match ammo weighed..

Like I said, I have not range tested these lots yet, but I am concerned about the quality control on the Edge ammo.. It may be "killer" ammo, but with the spread I found, I would guess that there will be some high/low shots in each box..

Not a very scientific test, just my findings, so take them for what they are worth...

Dave

Cover the spread

Dave,

I used to weigh all my ammo till I started coming up with .01-.02 grain difference on multiple boxes of Ely and RWS. Gotta be a better measure, but those weights disparities don't sound good for Edge.

As to test lots....I guess that's measured in cases today....if you buy a couple of boxes, the rest is gone before you receive your shipment.

A buttload of money will solve that problem. So, my poor ass will sit on the sidelines.

Gerry

Dave,

I used to weigh all my ammo till I started coming up with .01-.02 grain difference on multiple boxes of Ely and RWS. Gotta be a better measure, but those weights disparities don't sound good for Edge.

As to test lots....I guess that's measured in cases today....if you buy a couple of boxes, the rest is gone before you receive your shipment.

A buttload of money will solve that problem. So, my poor ass will sit on the sidelines.

Gerry

Gerry:
I don't weigh all my ammo either, usually just one box from each case, just to check the variance. And I am in the same boat you are. I can guarentee you that I did not buy a case of each lot number..:D

Dave

Dave

Did you notice if any of the bullets didn't have properly formed tips on them? There were two in the box I checked that would probably add .5 grain to the weight of the bullet. Haven't tested them yet, either.

Jim

Eley Match Availability

Dave, who is selling Eley Match and Edge ?
Bob Pekaar

Eley Ammo

Thanks Dave. I searched his site numerous times and all it says is "out of stock".
Bob Pekaar

It's hard to trust

Did you notice if any of the bullets didn't have properly formed tips on them? There were two in the box I checked that would probably add .5 grain to the weight of the bullet. Haven't tested them yet, either.

Jim

I measure all my ammo from the front driving band to the front of the rim. What I have found regularly is there will be a few rounds in each brick that will be WAAAAY off. I suspect it is those rounds that are inserted at the end of the line into the boxes that don't get completely filled. Interestingly enough as well, I sometimes have found whole boxes in a case that are WAAAY off, like they didn't come off the same machine.

It would seem to me as easy for the for the Filler to take a box or two out of the same lot and fill the slack boxes instead of some random ammo from who knows where that is gonna go some place where it ain't suppose to.

Weighing ain't gonna how ya much, in this case.

Peter Principle

I measure all my ammo from the front driving band to the front of the rim. What I have found regularly is there will be a few rounds in each brick that will be WAAAAY off. I suspect it is those rounds that are inserted at the end of the line into the boxes that don't get completely filled. Interestingly enough as well, I sometimes have found whole boxes in a case that are WAAAY off, like they didn't come off the same machine.

It would seem to me as easy for the for the Filler to take a box or two out of the same lot and fill the slack boxes instead of some random ammo from who knows where that is gonna go some place where it ain't suppose to.

Weighing ain't gonna how ya much, in this case.

Hey Pete, I got's to know....how much is "waaaay"? And which direction? Bullet is seated too deeply, or not deep enough...relative to the baseline norm? And I was wondering....how much weight is added by the lubricant...if you have ever measured this.

I gave up with the measurements years ago, when i figured handling it two or three times was worse than the results of the measuring. Scale is gone, rim thickness gauge gone.....all I got left is my Starret. Sounds like I may need to put it back in use.

I appreciate your post. Good afternoon.

Gerry

Hey Pete, I got's to know....how much is "waaaay"? And which direction? Bullet is seated too deeply, or not deep enough...relative to the baseline norm? And I was wondering....how much weight is added by the lubricant...if you have ever measured this.

I gave up with the measurements years ago, when i figured handling it two or three times was worse than the results of the measuring. Scale is gone, rim thickness gauge gone.....all I got left is my Starret. Sounds like I may need to put it back in use.

I appreciate your post. Good afternoon.

Gerry

WAAAAY OFF = .015" or more in either direction. That will usually be at least .007" or so beyond either end of the run. The lube won't change my measurement more than .001" and usually doesn't change it at all. I find that most of the Eley is within .005", one to the other and some vary as little as .003" in a whole brick; a rare find though. I have chums who weigh an segregate by weight. I have not done that but when one considers how ragged RF bullets are, I question the efficacy of weighing. The measurement thing, in my opinion, is well worth doing. I have found a goodly number lately of bullets that have little in the way of driving bands present. Where will those engrave? = NOT.

I gotta agree with Pete. I measure all my red and black box from the driving bands to the top of the rim with
simple gauge I made up. One or two thousands OAL either way don't seem to make much difference. What I did find was when I get over or under five thousands there is a huge difference in the point of impact ,as much as three quarters of an inch. Lot to lot will have an OAL difference as much as fifteen thousands So in MHO it would make sense to weigh and measure if you can't account for those flyers
That's my two cents worth.

I did some ammo testing indoors with my Suhl today and tried a couple lots of Edge. Results are as follows with some lots of Eley Match too. Groups are 3 shots at 50 yards. I had no issues feeding or ejecting.

testing518_zps8d3a3fe9.png

DSCN1651_zps9b867ccf.jpg

Edge Arrived Today

Gentlemen,

Got my brick today. 3013-30096

speed is listed as 1043.

I will test it on Sunday. It has the enlarged (by .001) area where the crimp is; as reported by Mr. Calfee & others.

The black oxide coating? Marketing gimmick or ???

Has anyone else measured the length of a fired empty Eley Edge case. The one I measured from a friends rifle was .017" longer than a fired Eley Team case from my rifle. Why is the Edge case so much longer???

Last edited:
If you have a regular Eley Match chamber, that long shell will not be happy. Maybe that is why some reports of difficult chambering. Had the same thing when I tried some RWS a couple of years ago

If you have a regular Eley Match chamber, that long shell will not be happy. Maybe that is why some reports of difficult chambering. Had the same thing when I tried some RWS a couple of years ago

It might work good in the older rifles or if a lad does their own barrels, cut a longer chamber.

The additional case length could be needed to secure a tighter crimp, for better powder burn. This may be the reason why some have said that the Edge factory round is thicker by .001" near the crimp.

Edge

Just measured................. edge against match..............edge is .001 larger at crimp...........have a Hall sporter that shoots R50 well but hv tight chamber will not.............
Expect Hall will shot edge but hv will not

Edge

I dont like the way it feel's in my precision cut chamber, and It didnt shoot worth a sht. I dont trust it. That's my opinion. I was kindly given 2 boxes, and Im glad I didnt buy any. Who knows.....It may well test & perform otherwise down the road. Furthermore....I find it hard to trust a new bullet lube. jmho. Ed.

Back