New Eley Ammo?

Bob1949

I just got hold of two bricks of eley 40gt 1090fps RNL at a bargain price.
I shot several groups of five shots a 50yds that measure at ~ .500”.
Not bad considering the windy conditions.
The ammo comes packed in bulk, that is to say the ammo is in a plastic bag, inside a
box with all the eley credentials. I checked with the eley analyzer and it doesn’t recognize the lot number.
Has anyone heard of or know of this type of eley ammo?

Bob

It bulk ammo that Eley made for the CMP. The Eley analyser is for Match and Tenex only.

Bob,

Let us know how it performed on a windless day. I have always stayed away from bulk pack ammo feeling that them hitting each other in the bag or box may cause a reduction in accuracy, but I don't have any experience to go on.

Bob

Bulk Eley

Bob,
I will most definitely come back with performance information.
It may not be soon, I have other ammo to shoot first.
Here are some photos of a brick.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02046.JPG
    DSC02046.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 311
  • DSC02048.JPG
    DSC02048.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Curious, where did you find it?

I got the ammo from a fellow I shoot with.
He had a case of the eley. He let me shoot several five shot groups.
The groups looked very good, it was a very windy day, they measured between .300” to .450” at 50yds.
I picked up two bricks, he asked $45 per brick.
I don’t know where He found the ammo.
Here are some photos of a brick.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02046.JPG
    DSC02046.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 262
  • DSC02048.JPG
    DSC02048.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Posted the following at RFC as well:

As a follow up to my earlier post regarding the accuracy of the Eley CMP Standard Velocity Bulk case ammo(40 gr LRN @ 1090 fps) Lot #3117-30274, I was able to get out to the range on November 5th.

The weather was spectacular, just a few cotton-ball clouds way up high, crisp temps right at 40*, and not a draft of wind to be found. (No wind, no bs! Surveyor tape wasn't even twisting, just hanging).

I used two different rifles to test the accuracy of the ammo at 100 meters/109 yards, a CZ 455 with Lilja varmint contour barrel, and an Anschutz 1413 Supermatch. Shared the Leupold FX-3 30x40mm AO Silhouette scope between the two rifles, and both rifles were shot from a Caldwell adjustable front rest and a rock-solid rear bag. The only downfall of my ammo-testing setup was the forend on the CZ stock being relatively narrow and rounded, not ideal for a front rest but still miles ahead of anything else.

After reading an article on Longrangehunting.com several years ago regarding the statistical analysis of group shooting, I've used the 3 5-shot group average to gauge ammunition accuracy.

Using 25 fouling/sighter rounds then playing for keeps, at 100 Meters using the CMP Eley Std Vel Bulk pack ammo, the Anschutz 1413 SM averaged .433" for 3 5-shot groups, and the CZ 455/Lilja averaged .75" for 3 5-shot groups.

This ammo shoots. That's all there is to it. From here on out, if I miss I can't blame the ammo.

It was a great day, but the best part of the day was that I was spending time with my Dad doing what we enjoy.

(BTW- he shot the same ammo through his Anschutz 64 MPR in a Stith benchrest stockat 50 yards, getting 5-shot groups that would fit under a pencil eraser).

Back