New Cooper

ekp

New Cooper Model 21 in 223 Rem.

I have been working with my new/used Model 21 Cooper to find the best bullet/powder combo. I believe I have. Latest trip to the range with 28gns of W748 behind Sierra 40 gn BK yielded a .117 three shot group @ 100 yds. Picture attached. This is an off the shelf Cooper with a Sightron 36 BR scope

Attachments

• 223.jpg
    223.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:
Great to read your happy with your Cooper Firearm!!!!

I have been working with my new/used Model 21 Cooper to find the best bullet/powder combo. I believe I have. Latest trip to the range with 28gns of W748 behind Sierra 40 gn BK yielded a .117 three shot group @ 100 yds. Picture attached. This is an off the shelf Cooper with a Sightron 36 BR scope

I am lucky to work @ Cooper here in Montana! I can tell you all the guns that leave Cooper are thoroughly test fired and EXTREMELY ACCURATE! I have seen our shooter shoot ten rounds, basically through the same hole in one of the test targets, that get sent out with every individual Cooper purchased! Cooper Firearms have extremely high standards! You definately get what you pay for! Each gun is HANDMADE made literally right at Cooper with great pride and care! Not only are they the elite of the elite when it comes to quality and accuracy, these firearms are Heirloom Quality that will be able to be handed down for generations to come! I'm sure you know, with all of the custom options, you can order your Cooper to be unlike any other firearm anywhere to be found or chose to purchase right off the shelf at any of our retailers like Cabelas, for instance!
Again, so glad your happy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooper Rimfire Rifles

There are at least a half dozen Cooper Rimfire Rifles here in Maine that beat up on the Custom Rigs with regularity. I have yet to see one that was a DOG. I would agree, for someone with a limited budget, a Cooper Benchrest model with a tuner is all anyone will need to compete in the local rimfire events, at least. Don't know if they are up to the PSL but they shoot danged good.

the sad thing is, well it's actually not sad for the OP at all, that is the smallest group ive ever seen out of a 223rem! Damn...I need to save some pennies up for a while, those Coopers are SEXY

what is the twist rate for that barrel, and with all due respect a WALLET group does not a shooting gun make,

Pleaase try 5 5 shot groups and show them then we can judge

Jefferson

My newest Cooper in 6PPC produced a .157 5 shot group in a 100 yd Benchrest match this summer with hastily assembled ammo. My 17 MIV Cooper has produced .250 groups in light wind conditions many times. My vote goes to Cooper for the most accurate factory rifles from this country. Sako challenges in some calibers.

Don't mean to be a sceptic here....

but one three shot group does not a true accuracy rifle characteristic make. The number of times that rifle will shoot below .200 with five shot groups will tell a better story. Sometimes the wind blows them in too.

virg

Cooper test target

I am lucky to work @ Cooper here in Montana! I can tell you all the guns that leave Cooper are thoroughly test fired and EXTREMELY ACCURATE! I have seen our shooter shoot ten rounds, basically through the same hole in one of the test targets, that get sent out with every individual Cooper purchased! Cooper Firearms have extremely high standards! You definately get what you pay for! Each gun is HANDMADE made literally right at Cooper with great pride and care! Not only are they the elite of the elite when it comes to quality and accuracy, these firearms are Heirloom Quality that will be able to be handed down for generations to come! I'm sure you know, with all of the custom options, you can order your Cooper to be unlike any other firearm anywhere to be found or chose to purchase right off the shelf at any of our retailers like Cabelas, for instance!
Again, so glad your happy!

I have seen several Cooper test targets, very impressive, at what distance are these shot? Barry

I have seen several Cooper test targets, very impressive, at what distance are these shot? Barry

I believe the test targets are shot from about 50-55 feet - roughly 18 yards.

Last year, my second son purchased a Cooper rifle (.204), which has shot quite well - consistent 5-shpt groups under .40" at 100 Yd., and a great prairie dog rig. Following that, when he wanted a .280 Ack. Imp., I urged him to purchase another Cooper, as opposed to me building him a custom actioned rig - not so sweet.:( I will reserve final commentary regarding workmanship - and pride in it - until we see how Cooper handles the deal - the chamber is the poorest I've ever observed on ANY rifle - he returned the rifle, along with three fired cases, for their perusal. RG

I've got a gorgeous cooper 22-250 I'll gladly sell because they will NOT fix the (factory defect) primary extraction problem......I shoot it with a hammer.

I bought it brand new, from the "second go-round" I think so it's therefore "not cooper's problem."

Or so the rude fellow at cooper told me.

Sorry to be a cooper pooper but I'm in business and believe customer service to be important.

al

Everybody's mileage varies, for sure. I now have three Coopers -- a Model 22 in .22 BR and two Model 21s in 6 and 22 PPC. They are the finest non-custom rifles I've ever owned. The .22 BR has been a bit finicky, but with a couple of good loads is a consistent 3/8" five-shot group at 100 yards. The 6 PPC is nearly benchrest capable. If the barreled action were bedded into a competent BR stock it would be interesting to see what it would do. I won the annual Egg Shoot at our range with this rig last year by going 25 straight on eggs at 200 yards. The newest is the .22 PPC which I have only done preliminary load work with but it is good one also and I'm very pleased with it.

I've have dealt with Cooper customer service on a couple of occasions, both with excellent results. The Model 22 was purchased second-hand, came with both the walnut and the Phoenix stock, but the screws were too long when I mounted the walnut stock. Cooper promptly sent me the correct screws. On a second issue, I needed the spring that goes in the safety linkage and was promptly sent one. I talked with at least two different people at Cooper, both of whom were courteous and helpful.

IMHO, Coopers have a strong love 'em/hate 'em contingent. They are what they are: a well-made product by a company who has pride in their name and makes a product that is competitively priced with other firearms in its category. They are not perfect, but consider that a new-from-the-factory Model 22 Varminter is about the same price as a Savage F/TR rig, a Remington tactical rig, or a Winchester "varmint" rig and tell me which one you'd rather have.

I don't think I've been in the presence of a Cooper factory target that there wasn't the argument of "They shoot 'em at 50 feet (or 68 feet, or 25 yards, ad infinitum). All three of my Coopers will match the factory target with my handloads at 100 yards. I personally don't care what distance they fired it at. The fact that they fired it, cared about what the result was, and was willing to include it with the gun is enough for me.

Wind'll get ya..!

Just have fun.... Chances are your Cooper is a SHOOTER..! NOTHING wrong with 3-shot groups..... In particular if your range gives you difficult conditions..
Yes, 5-5 shot groups tell MUCH, but IMOP if you can shoot 3 3-shot groups that are all sub .250......:eek::)

Help yourself and make or buy a few wind flags.... Those 3 shot and 5 shot groups will / can be more consistent and will help ya tune your rig to TIP TOP Accuracy.

Extreme accuracy is a bug that BITES HARD..!;)
cale

Bad Chamber - Still Shoots

My Cooper Phoenix in 6 BR has a lousy looking chambering job - lopsided leade. Any benchrest gunsmith would hang himself if one turned out like this. I called and griped about it, and disappointingly, they seemed unconcerned. However, I agreed to wring it out before sending it back. Well, it is a shooter. I will keep it. The rest of the barrel is cherry. When the lead goes, I'll have it rechambered by someone good to something longer or have it set back a bit.

Back