New bullet choice?

tiny68

I am going to make an FTR match this year and bring my M700 308W with a 26" `barrel. I have done a fair amount of shooting in the 300-500 yd range with this rifle. Max range has been limited to 600 yds. I have used the 168 SMK exclusively but know it is not suited for 800-1000 yds. Considering the 175 SMK, the 155 Lapua, or the 155.5 Berger. This is a factory Remington barrel with no chance of reaching the lands. I seat the 168 SMK with a 2.950" COAL and still have a 0.035" jump. Which bullet would you recommend? Lots of Varget and RL-15 available, but would consider other powders.

Thanks for your experienced input, Tim

Short barreled bullet choices for F/TR long range

Hi,

Saw your question and thought I might have a little to add. With a 12 twist 26" barrel, bullet choices that will make 1k above transonic are rather slim. Your best bet, in my opinion, is the Berger 185 LRBT. You might be able to generate something around 2700 fps at the absolute top. That will get you to 1k at mach 1.17 or so at sea level on a 60 degree day. If it is significantly warmer, or higher altitude, you should be able to get there, no sweat, above mach 1.2

I would also explore the 168 hybrid bullet by Berger. With a G7 of .266, it is a fair bit better than the 175 SMK and you can launch it at the same speed or faster. If you can get to 2800 fps, you would be able to make 1k at mach 1.18 or so. The 155 hybrid also has a pretty high BC. I haven't run the numbers for it yet though.

All of the listed bullets will "make it there." It really depends on how much oomph you have available to propel them. Every rifle is different.

In the end analysis, you are the only one really capable of judging which bullet is best for your rifle.

I hope this helps some.

Agreed the 26" 12 twist barrel is the limiting factor on your top velocity and bullet choices. You are likely limited to the various 190 grain bullets or below as far as year-long stability to 1,000 yards. In mine (12 twist 26") I ran 175smks but that was at least 5 years ago. Newer powders and bullets have opened things up for you. Specifically the 185gr offerings. Do not turn your back on the newer smk 155 gr. offering. It has proven itself very consistent and cost effective. Berger has lots of offerings as well.

If you move to a 10 twist and at least 28" of barrel length, then look VERY HARD at the 210 Berger and 208 AMAX. Stuff the case with RL-17 and you have got yourself a very nice long range round.

good luck

Jeffvn

My experience with Bergers is that most perform best when shoot from the jam. With my current barrel, this is my limitation since it is a factory throated. I haven't done a chamber cast to measure the freebore. I have been shooting my Savage rifles too much. I was actually thinking the M700 was a 1:10 twist. You guys are right on, it is a 1:12. When it is time for a replacement barrel, I will screw a 1:10 back on. With this particular barrel, I am driving the 168 SMK at 2700 fps with RL-15, but that is max load in the rifle and on hot days I have a sticky bolt. I would rather go with something I didn't have to drive as hard, which is asking a lot for what I have.

I never have much such with the 155 Palma style bullets with my 1:10 Savage and had discounted them. Maybe I will give them a chance in this M700. I will order a box of the 185 Berger LRBT and the 155 SMK. Gives me a winter project.

Thanks for your input, Tim

The 185 and 155.5 Bergers actually jump quite well. The jury is still out on how far one can effectively jump the Hybrid, but indications (an my testing confirm) that .010 to .040" works quite well.

Have fun with your project.

Back