New BSA Martini

Calfed

New BSA Martini--New Pics

I just bought this at an on-line auction. This may sound a little nuts, but I'm not sure which Martini I got. Here are the pics ( I know they aren't the greatest)

martini1-1.jpg

Martini2-1.jpg

Martini.jpg

Description advised:

S# FG2547H. Bbl. 28" heavy. Parker Hale target sights & barrel mounted scope blocks. Adjustable butt plate with 1/2" wooden spacer. 95% original blue with white corrosion on the barrel, forward of the rear scope lock. Original wood finish with numerous handling marks. Sound mechanics. Very good bore.

I've gotten varying opinions as to whether it is a MK V or an ISU model

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Greetings. Nice rifle! I'm no expert, but I'm gonna say- MKIII

Cheers,

Mark

Calfed:
It's hard to tell from the picture if its a MKV or ISU model. I think it is a MKV because of the scope blocks. The MKV and ISU are very similar. The ISU has a lighter barrel and an overall weight of about 10.5#. The MKV is the prone rifle and weighs 11.5 to 12#.

It's not a MKIII International. The MKIII has a longer receiver than this rifle. The longer receiver accomodates an aluminum hanger for the forestock so on the MKIII the barrel is free floating. On the MKV and ISU, the forestock hanger mounted to the barrel. Also the MKV and ISU models have the vertically adjustable buttplate (as shown in the pictures) while on the MKIII the buttplate is not adjustable.
ADC

It can't be a MKIII. The barrel retaining screws are too close together. Has to be a MKIV or MKV.

Wayne

Send an email to Mac at MT Guns. He would know as he sells them.

I meant to post some pics of my Martini sooner...but here they are now:
001-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

002.jpg

006-1.jpg

It seems to be in excellent shape, sights are smooth, clicks are positive and the trigger has to be felt to be believed..range report to follow

I got a quick chance to shoot the Martini this morning. I think it is capable of much better...I had trouble focusing on the little red dot @ 25 yards. Not enough contrast.

Aguila standard velocity 6 rounds @ 25 yards
003-1-1.jpg

Federal "Lightning" ammo 8 rounds @ 25 yards
002-1.jpg

At least I know it functions now. I'll try to get a better target set up next time

IMHO the ammo you're using is like putting kerosene in a dragster.
Your rifle should be capable of one hole groups at 25 yards and less than 0.5" groups at 50 yards if fed a quality diet of Eley or Lapua ammo.
Hawkeye Wizard

Back