new brass

G

ghylton981p

I am new to benchrest shooting but have been shooting and reloading years now. I just purchased 100 new Lapua 308 cases and am wondering if someone would give me an outline of how they prepare there brass for reloading.

dies

My rifle is a factory Remington VSSF 308. My dies are a redding neck size only and a Forester micrometer adjustable seating die.

For a factory setup there's no "preparation" to do :) just load 'em and shoot! Nothing you can do to them will make them "better."

From then on try to keep sizing to as minimum as possible......

al

next steps

For a factory setup there's no "preparation" to do :) just load 'em and shoot! Nothing you can do to them will make them "better."

From then on try to keep sizing to as minimum as possible......

al

If I wanted to get into benchrest shooting where do I start?

You'd have to start with a dedicated or at least somewhat purpose-built rifle. Of course you can shoot any rifle off of a table and call it "benchrest" but it's not...... Bench Rest means something. Bench Rest is like the Top Fuel division of rifle shooting, ACCURACY rules at the expense of all else. You could also build a hotrod to drive around and call it "racing" but a real race car is purpose-built, not road legal. True benchrest is the pinnacle of accuracy and requires enough specialized equipment that the rifles used are somewhat limited for real world usage. I'm not saying you won't hunt with a BR rifle but they gener'ly don't hunt too good :)

First of all go to IBS and NBRSA websites and check for matches within your driving range....even if you decide not to compete it's worthy IMO to go to a match just to
SEE the stuff.

Next you have to understand that except for a couple weird exceptions you WILL NOT buy a Bench Rest capable rifle from any manufacturer. One specialized rifle that technically _could_ conceivably place in a small BR match would be a 22PPC USA and 6PPC USA rifle as built by Sako for about 6yrs in the early 80's, if the barrel is still good. I sold one a couple yrs ago that was still easily shooting 1/4" groups, enough to occasionally get you on the board at a BR match. There have been a few tight-necked Coopers that exhibited decent accuracy, and a few other custom-shop rifles that through serendipity came out "tight" or "straight" but these are luck of the draw.

For a rifle to actually exhibit the accuracy required for any type of bench rest shooting it must be built to tighter specifications than are possible in mass produced guns. Even the Savage rifles sold for 1000.00 and MARKED "Bench Rest" don't shoot well enough to BE actual Bench Rest capable.

You want to get a taste of REAL accuracy my advice is to go to the classifieds here on this site or over to Shooters Corner, 'The List' and buy a used setup. For raw intrinsic jaw-dropping accuracy at 100-200-300yds get a 6PPC. For anything capable of winning accuracy at longer range my advice is to pay a little more for a proven winner. Accurate long-range rigs are about 20:1 harder to find than accurate PPC's. Also much harder to gear up and learn to load for....

Also, keep hanging out here, keep asking questions, clarify your wants/needs........... this is the one site in the world where the actual record holders, gun builders, barrel makers, stock makers, accessory makers hang out.

enjoy
al

Thanks

You'd have to start with a dedicated or at least somewhat purpose-built rifle. Of course you can shoot any rifle off of a table and call it "benchrest" but it's not...... Bench Rest means something. Bench Rest is like the Top Fuel division of rifle shooting, ACCURACY rules at the expense of all else. You could also build a hotrod to drive around and call it "racing" but a real race car is purpose-built, not road legal. True benchrest is the pinnacle of accuracy and requires enough specialized equipment that the rifles used are somewhat limited for real world usage. I'm not saying you won't hunt with a BR rifle but they gener'ly don't hunt too good :)

First of all go to IBS and NBRSA websites and check for matches within your driving range....even if you decide not to compete it's worthy IMO to go to a match just to
SEE the stuff.

Next you have to understand that except for a couple weird exceptions you WILL NOT buy a Bench Rest capable rifle from any manufacturer. One specialized rifle that technically _could_ conceivably place in a small BR match would be a 22PPC USA and 6PPC USA rifle as built by Sako for about 6yrs in the early 80's, if the barrel is still good. I sold one a couple yrs ago that was still easily shooting 1/4" groups, enough to occasionally get you on the board at a BR match. There have been a few tight-necked Coopers that exhibited decent accuracy, and a few other custom-shop rifles that through serendipity came out "tight" or "straight" but these are luck of the draw.

For a rifle to actually exhibit the accuracy required for any type of bench rest shooting it must be built to tighter specifications than are possible in mass produced guns. Even the Savage rifles sold for 1000.00 and MARKED "Bench Rest" don't shoot well enough to BE actual Bench Rest capable.

You want to get a taste of REAL accuracy my advice is to go to the classifieds here on this site or over to Shooters Corner, 'The List' and buy a used setup. For raw intrinsic jaw-dropping accuracy at 100-200-300yds get a 6PPC. For anything capable of winning accuracy at longer range my advice is to pay a little more for a proven winner. Accurate long-range rigs are about 20:1 harder to find than accurate PPC's. Also much harder to gear up and learn to load for....

Also, keep hanging out here, keep asking questions, clarify your wants/needs........... this is the one site in the world where the actual record holders, gun builders, barrel makers, stock makers, accessory makers hang out.

enjoy
al

Thank you for your response. I am an avid pistol shooter and have been reloading 20 years this year. I in my travels picked up a Remington 700 vssf in 308. It had been in the safe collecting dust for a few years and I decided to play with it a little. I was impressed and had some fun playing with it. Now I am curious as to were to take this new found interest. Do I need to have this gun built up or start from scratch. Where to jump on the merry go round is my next decision so I opted to register here ask a few questions and try to save some frustration and possibly some money as I am not made of that either. Any advise would be appreciated.

You should keep

Thank you for your response. I am an avid pistol shooter and have been reloading 20 years this year. I in my travels picked up a Remington 700 vssf in 308. It had been in the safe collecting dust for a few years and I decided to play with it a little. I was impressed and had some fun playing with it. Now I am curious as to were to take this new found interest. Do I need to have this gun built up or start from scratch. Where to jump on the merry go round is my next decision so I opted to register here ask a few questions and try to save some frustration and possibly some money as I am not made of that either. Any advise would be appreciated.

the Remington as a great deer rifle, long range varmint rifle, etc., and buy/build a dedicated BR rifle AFTER you attend a couple BR matches in your area. There are any one of a number ways to go as far as the rifle is concerned. Shooters Corner has a plethora of used BR rifles for sale. One of my first group guns came from there. Or you may well find a rifle for sale at a match. Then there is all the equipment that goes with the sport. Another reason to attend a match or two. And you will be pleasantly surprised with how open most BR competitors are. We have nothing to hide.

Also, cruise through the archives here. Over the years there have been a number of great threads on getting started. You will have to sift through a bit of chaff, but it will be worth your while. There are no instant answers, but this is the best information resource on the Web. As Al stated, this is where those who participate in BR hang out. Check all the different forums here.

David

Have you attended a Benchrest Match yet.

Are your interest in putting 5 bullets in the same hole (Group) or would you prefer to shot the X out of the middle of the target (score).

Also are your interested in short range 100-200 yard or long range 600-1000 yards.

Knowing these answers will help to determine which type of equipment is needed.

Starting out with good used equipment is not a bad way to get started as some of these guys just have to have new guns every years and sell which was new last year.

Keep an eye on the classified section and don't be afraid to search 6BR site as well.

As you can find some great deals on both sites.

I hope this helps and hope to see you on the range some day.

Also the Super Shoot is in North Lawrence Ohio from May 21st-May 24th for a Great Short Range Group Match and if you show up the weekend before you we see most everyone practicing before the match begins.

Russell

PS any questions feel free to contact me.

I'll second the idea of buying used for short-range benchrest. Rigs with BAT or Kelbly actions can be found for under $2K. A re-barrel job if needed and some quality glass gets a foot in the game. Of course then there's the equipment side of things. Dies matched to your chamber, a neck-turner, the benchrest itself with bags, competition grade bullets, powder, brass, and primers, measuring instruments, etc, etc.

Not trying to scare you away but it involves a lot of time and money to get into the sport (trust me, I'm starting the journey myself right now). But it's worth it if you want to learn about precision shooting at the highest of levels.

BTW, if 100/200 yard is you goal you can't go wrong with a PPC. BR and 222-based cartridges are strong seconds.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

You will learn more visiting a match than talking about it on the web. You just flat don't know the questions to ask and we don't know you well enough to anticipate the harder ones.

With that said, I see that you are in Central KY. You are smack in the middle of UBR territory. It's a great group with an easy way to get started.

So, my suggestion is to visit the http://www.ultimatebenchrest.com/ site, pick a match to visit, call the match director to introduce yourself and go.

You may like it and want to get started. You might say "That's NOT what I thought benchrest was". No matter what, you'll be well on your way.

I'll sweeten the pot. If you like what you see at the match, pick another match on a weekend that I'm not tied up and you can share a bench with me, shoot one of my competitive rifles, using my ammo, on my rest and bags, over my flags. I'll coach you as much or as little as you want, answer any questions in a non-biased way and even buy your lunch (which is an inside joke as most UBR matches provide lunch with your entry fees).

You'll find no better folk that benchrest shooters. They'll give you the shirt off their back...while they are beating your brains out in the match.

If you have any questions or want to take me up on this, feel free to PM me through the site here.

Best regards,

Greg Jennings

Last edited:
Conversely...

You'll find no better folk than benchrest shooters. They'll give you the shirt off their back...while you are beating their brains out in the match.

They won't want to...but they will. Just sayin'

I'll be a candidate as well. You may not want to fool with me as I've got a bunch of stuff that hasn't been used in years but if I can find it, you're welcome to use it...and I'll watch out for you along the way. Might take me a few minutes to figure things out but I know some folks that would help us out as well.

Pick some warmer weather and a match that's close to both of us and we'll show up and give 'em as much hell as we can! I live in Spring City, TN so pick a match within 3 or 4 hundred miles from us both and let me know. That's not Spring Hill or anything else...it's Spring City. Also, I might mention, I have the 100/200 yard benchrest stuff so if you're interested in something else shoot me a word or so. I know some folks that shoot other deals or can find somebody quickly....I think.

Thanks

You guys are greatly appreciated with all of your advice. I havent made up my mind to jump in just yet. I will go to some events to get my toes wet. I have too many interests as I stand now. But all of the positive posts on here have been well received and the hook is getting in me pretty deep. I am going to look at the for sale guns on here do some research to see how costly it is to get involved in this sport maybe soon Ill be shooting with some of you. Thanks for your help!!!!

Back