New Barrel with tooling marks

rjgonzo

Rick in AZ
I just recieved a new barrel from a custom barrel maker. I paid almost $500 with futes. Today I scoped it with my Hawkeye and all the grooves have "chatter" looking tooling marks. It is a cut rifleing barrel. I don't want to name the maker. Should I worry about it? I've never seen this in a benchrest quality barrel.

As long as the maker is the one who cut the flutes'! Just send it back.

I have a medical scope that I use as a bore scope. You soon find that the name on the outside does'nt mean much when you look on the inside. They certainly do not all come the same. The name makers' make a excellent product, but a flaw can get past them.

Thanks for all the help. I have never bought a barrel from this manufacturer but they are supposed to be very good. The reason I posted this here was to get oppinions on how much you guys think this will effect the accuracy. I'm not sure if the vendor with be forthright about my concern. I don't want to burn a bridge by making a fuss.

There was a post some time back on Snipershide, similar to this. The fella that owns or manages rock creek barrels posted that he simply replaces any barrel that comes back with a few tool marks, if thats what the customer wants. He then stated that he personally shoots those returned barrel himself and whoops butt and takes names, With those supposed BAD barrels. Hard to say what i would do if i had a barrel that didnt look perfect, but so far i haven't had to even worry about it. I dont have a bore scope so i have no idea if my barrel has tool marks or not? I just shoot them!! Lee

The reason I asked if you had compared to another barrel from the same manufacture is this. The first time I looked at a Krieger with a bore scope, it scared the begeezes out of me. All of those length ways tool marks!! I could see them just full of copper.

I was comparing it to typical button rifled barrels, which have that slick glazed look.

But, those marks in a Krieger are a product of the cut rifled proccess. And, as I soon learned, it didn't make a bit of difference. The darned things shoot "lights out"........jackie

Thanks Jackie, I have not looked at one the his barrels before. but the tooling marks are perpindicular to the bore. The grooves look like a railroad track from one end to the other. I guess I will return it. I'm worried about excessive fowling.

My first barrel. I thought I screwed it up. Shooting in March 30 degrees or so. Gunsmith thought the barrel was trash.
Fired one shot. Cleaned normal. Forgot the copper cleaner. Fired 3 more shots. Cleaned after each one. By the 4th cleaning the patch came out the bluest I had ever seen. Dried barrel and looked down the barrel. Did not need a bore scope. The barrel was full of copper. It started 6" from each end. And I mean full of copper solid.
Got home let barrel warm up. Got the copper cleaner out. And soaked the barrel. Eventually got all the copper out.
Next day called gunsmith. He said let the cleaner soak for 10 min. or so. But, that barrel was trash. I could not afford a new one. So I shot it.
Over 3K rounds. And last Oct. I set a range record at WWCCA.
Got my first HOF point, also. At Holton, MI. Labor Day Weekend.
Just shoot it. But, it's your barrel.
But, ya know that used to linger in the back of my mind. Not good when you are watching flags. Mirage and flags.....

Last edited:
One thing I have learned about barrels--though if you read another post--well never mind--shoot it first--and if it does not shoot--then look inside--if it looks like the moon--contact the barrel maker--if you get a lot of crap--which in my experience is not usual, but highly irritating when it does happen--then count it a lesson learned and a FF barrel--you might then read the match results and EQ lists in the various organizations news-- or in PS--then try a different barrel brand---and when someone asks you about ___ barrels--don't be shy

Last edited by a moderator:
Some times a bore scope allows you to see too much! I've had barrels that looked pretty scary inside but they shot well and i've had some that were pretty and would not shoot. The ones i've had that would'nt shoot usually had a tight spot or a reverse taper. In that regard a bore scope won't help a bit. One time I got .17 barrel from Douglas and I could see an obvious imperfection about half way down. I got ahold of Tim Gardner and his advise was to shoot it and if it did'nt shoot to send it back. It shot extremely well. I rest my case!

Wow great replies! Thanks

I spoke to the barrel maker and he said that the tooling marks are common with his barrels. He does not believe in lapping aggressively because it decreases the life of the barrel. He does admit that some of his barrels fowl. He suggested I chamber and shoot it and if I have any problems he will lapp it again for me.

This reminds me of an American Spirit Arms AR15 Varmint upper I bought about ten years ago. It had a massive burr at the gas port inside the barrel. I called the company and they said it would be gone in a couple of rounds. Well, it still isn't pretty inside but it is unbelievable how well it shoots.

One barrel that rather fits the description complete with tight and loose spots was purchased by a friend as a Numrich reject for $12.50 many years ago.

We were laughing running patches thru that barrel after blueing.

Headspaced on a Model 98 action this prechambered barrel in .22-250 was shooting 52 Speers and 35 gr IMR-4064 ten round groups outside to outside that were under 7/8 at 100 yards. This was in a SILE stock and with a Weaver K-10 mounted.

Dead silence - I had learned something new.

Bob liked to bargin and when asked "what do you want for that 22-250 ?" his responce was "What will you give me?"
The first offer of $250 was too good as he had about $125 in the whole package.
No bargining -sold.

Glenn

Rick. Barrel maker has a point. And he should know.
The best part of that barrel is prolly there, very shortly.

Back