New Barrel plans for next year.

dragman

I am gonna rebarrel my 6.5X284 for next year pretty soon and I am looking for some suggestions. right now I am shooting a modified F class and with a 30" pipe it is shooting really well 1.25 breach - .900 muzzle. I shot in a 17lbs and under class and I am only at 15lbs so weight isn't an issue. I know that going from 30'' to 32" isn't going to give me but 50fps but I wouldn't mind the extra weight. Is that worth the extra heat in the barrel???

If you're looking for suggestions, I would suggest you get on the stick and order. Otherwise you'll be looking at a 2013 rebarrel job. Several barrel makers are backed up on orders.

Is that worth the extra heat in the barrel???
I'd say not really, no. Being a 6.5x284, you might actually get the 50fps from 30-32, but, if this is for competition, they don't give any extra points for how fast your bullets arrive. Probably all you'll get from that 32" barrel, is a barrel that likes a powder that the bullets do not.

That 6.5 x 284 don't really need the bullet (assuming the 140 gr. type) pushed more than 3,000 fps? Probably most are in the mid 2900's! That can be accomplished from a 28" barrel.
Rich De

I will be happy with 2950. I am sitting at 2839 with this barrel and load but it does shoot really well.

Back