New Ackley

dragman

Just got a new 22-250 Ackley with a krieger barrel 26" with an 8 twist. I am gonna try the 77 and 80 grain bergers? what kinda speeds do you think I can get?? I am hoping for the 3400 range.

dragman
You know the 22-250AI has always interested me. I havent ever owned one but i read about it all the time, and i would really like to own one before to long. I just worry about barrel life a little. I guess they arent so hot in that department. Do you have your Ackley on a bench gun or hunting/varmint rig? What range will you hope to shoot with it? Just curios. Thanks Lee

Hot 22 barrel wear

I owned a 220 swift built on a rem 40X years ago. Fitted a 26 inch shillen to it. Used a twist that would be suitable for 55 to 60 grain bullet. Ran it fairly hot which is what using a 22 cal like that is for. It went from being able to agg in the low .3's to nearly an inch in 1500 rounds. The second barrel did the same thing. That cured me from using hot 22's. I am thinking a 22/250 Akley improved might be a barrel burner too.
I will be interested to know how your barrel holds up.

Andy.

Just got a new 22-250 Ackley with a krieger barrel 26" with an 8 twist. I am gonna try the 77 and 80 grain bergers? what kinda speeds do you think I can get?? I am hoping for the 3400 range.

For comparison, I'm getting 3425 with 75 VLD's in a 23" Rock.

You should hit your goal in 26" with the 80's.

Start with H-4350.........

Just got my 22-250 AI up and running, its 27". Ive tried 75 amaxes and can get 3400 fps and can go more. Ive tried 80 Bergers and get 3350 fps with room to go. Ive found the accuracy with the amaxes to be better just under 3300 fps and the Bergers also shot well just under 3300. I have fired only 80 rounds so some more load development is in order.

thanks all. this is my second 22-250AI first was a 12 twist VLPS. it shot really well I should have never gotten rid of it. this gun is gonna go on a hunting sporter style stock not a bench stock.

We got 4000fps with 77gr SMK but they were coming apart in a 7 twist, went to a 9 twist and they stayed together. Pressures were too high, these were shot in a 24" pressure barrel on a Universal Receiver.

this gun is gonna go on a hunting sporter style stock not a bench stock.

As is mine.......

002fhq.jpg

dragman,
Try RL-22 along with the 80 grn. A-Maxes. I've got a 1 in 8" Kreiger chambered in .22-250 A.I. that shoots them very well. I don't have my load data with me but that combo. has dropped many groundhogs at ranges from 250 yds. to over 500 yds. The A-Maxes work very well on varmints.

I owned a 220 swift built on a rem 40X years ago. Fitted a 26 inch shillen to it. Used a twist that would be suitable for 55 to 60 grain bullet. Ran it fairly hot which is what using a 22 cal like that is for. It went from being able to agg in the low .3's to nearly an inch in 1500 rounds. The second barrel did the same thing. That cured me from using hot 22's. I am thinking a 22/250 Akley improved might be a barrel burner too.
I will be interested to know how your barrel holds up.

Andy.

Andy,
It's a barrel burner but thats the cost of doing business with those velocities. I bought a slightly used Kreiger 1 in 8" Kreiger that was chambered in .22-250 A.I.. The throat was not bad (approx. 300 rds.) and I had a new chamber cut by the original smith and re-crowned. This barrel has performed very well and I've been monitoring the wear with a borescope. I'll shoot this barrel out and use it for fireforming.

Just not worth it

My trouble is with the barrel burners is that I am too lousy to cough up the cost of a new tube every 1200 rounds. It was impressive to see varmints evaporate from the explosive force of projectiles travelling at those velocities but I got the same results with a .243 launching 75gn bullets. What's more I was for ever adjusting the load to accommodate for barrel wear which wore out the tube as well. I am over the hot calibres these days.
Andy.

Just got my 22-250 AI up and running, its 27". Ive tried 75 amaxes and can get 3400 fps and can go more. Ive tried 80 Bergers and get 3350 fps with room to go. Ive found the accuracy with the amaxes to be better just under 3300 fps and the Bergers also shot well just under 3300. I have fired only 80 rounds so some more load development is in order.

My 9" twist LRPV which is a factory .22-250 shot the 75g Hornady HPBT into tiny little groups at ~3,300 fps when it was new. That was a hot load, but it was sure accurate.

Fitch

Back