New .6 rule POLL

I would like to start a poll here in regards to the new .6 rule. If everyone, who wants to do so, would just reply to this in a short, to the point answer of yes I like it...no I don't like it...or something needs to be done but not this...I would appreciate it. I am doing this as a result of MANY phone calls over the past two weeks.

I also will be contacting each 1000yd club shortly to form a short term, exploratory group to look at this from each club's perspective. This, along with the poll, should give us a far better idea of how to handle this.

Thank you.
-------------------Jeff

Jeff, I wish I could give you a straight up or down yes or no. Maybe us old-timers who know all the history should just fade away. You know how it use to be -- .5 points for a relay win, 1 or 2 points for a match win, depending on how many guns competed. IIRC, The whole points system came from Williamsport, and everybody ran about 10 shooters per relay.

As the number of clubs increased, so did the variations in the number of shooters per relay. North Carolina at Hawks Ridge had 8 to 11, some of the clubs ran as few as 5 shooters per relay.

It was really hard to get the new system we have now, where number of points was determined by the number of shooters bested, but it was fair, or at least, fairer.

Now we have a least one club with 20 benches, who, for reasons that make no sense to me, want to not only shoot all the benches (that makes sense), but refuse to call that shooting two relays at once. IIRC, there was even an established precedent for the two-at-one-time, the old Iowa club.

So limiting the number of points you can win in a relay does bother me -- it strays from the old fairness notion -- but it seems to have come about to solve a problem that doesn't need to exist.

Either decision we make, I think we'll come to regret. Now there are logistical reasons (people for pit duty) that mean we shouldn't have a too low limit on the number of shooters per relay. With 5 shooters on a relay, you don't get many points for a relay win, but evening out the number os shooters on a relay makes pit duty possible. But we could set a maximum -- say 12 per relay. We would also allow multiple relays to be shot at one time. So if you have 15+ benches and no problems with pit duty, you could always follow the rules, use all the benches, and there would be no need to to set a limit on relay points.

Whether or not we'll ever again see a club like the old Hawks Ridge, with 70+ shooters for each gun, I don't know. But it was that size that prevented the 600 yard system of 4 target aggs. Our sport (IBS 1,000 yard shooting) has evolved a certain way, and unless we want to start all over, modifications in the rules should be made cautiously, preserving the original intent of fairness.

Charles Ellertson

No. The more people you shoot against, the more points it should be worth. The best of 20 must be worth more than the best of 12..
Henry

Hi Charles,

So I will take your post as...something needs to be done, but not this.

I want everyone to be careful not get this thread running off in another direction, just trying to find out the general "feel" of the shooters. Not asking for ideas on a solution at this point.

Thanks.
---------------Jeff

No. The more people you shoot against, the more points it should be worth. The best of 20 must be worth more than the best of 12..
Henry ------------------------------this is it exactly !!!!!!! Dave Holland

I do not like it. As it stands now it discriminates against clubs and their shooters for no other reason than they have more shooters in a relay. You beat more shooters you should get more points.

Dave Tooley

To make sure I have the definitions strait..

Old rule....Points based on number of shooters in relay.

New rule....Maximum of xx points, regaurless of number of shooters.

So...it's old rule for me....points based on number of shooters per relay.

It seems to me that the only reason this rule was put in is to FORCE clubs into shooting smaller relays, even though there is no rule.

I like the fact that Harris runs LOTS of benches...makes for a quicker day. I realy don't like getting home at 4AM.

I DO wish they would split each relay into 2 seperate relays...ie Pella....bench 1-10 = relay one, and bench 11-20 = relay two...but it is their range and no rules are being broken. I kinda like making shoot offs, and those boys up there shoot WAY to good to make it possable to REGULARALY make the shoot offs, especialy with big relays.

Sorry, I know you said short and sweet.....So..I'm a little long winded. ;)

Tod

Last edited:
If we do not fix this problem to make all clubs equal you may find you only have clubs with 20 benchs left. We have always had some clubs with 20 benchs and it never was a problem in the past 15 years why is it now? In the past the clubs always had respect for each other. Some clubs cannot have but 10 to 12 benchs due to the space they have.

This comes from the by-laws if the IBS.

Section 2.
The standardization of an international basis of the entire bench-rest
shooting program to the end that targets, ranges. Scoring methods,
records and match procedure will be uniform and comparable.

Clubs are equal and shooters are equal only if points per competitor are equal. If you shoot against 20 you have 1/2 the chance of winning a relay than shooting against 10. So to be fair, it should be worth twice the points to not penalize large clubs. We shoot against the 2010 IBS champion and the Hornady team. Are they considered unworthy competitors? To comply with Section 2, the new rule must go.

Last edited by a moderator:
The field needs leveled. Some of the clubs here at max number of benches they can have.so do you tell them too bad and take their chance to grow their numbers of shooters do to the lay of the land.if you think it is hard to shoot against team hornady,you should come here and shoot.

It is equal between shooters at the club with 20 benches. It is not equal between clubs that do not have the abuilty to put 20 benchs in. Pa. has been in long range shooting for 44 years why do they not have 20 benchs. Maybe they have been all wrong for that time. May you guys out in the midwest know something they don't . It brings in more shooters to run relays with 10 to 12. There is no one in the sport that knows more about runing 1000 Yd. matchs than Pa they have over 40 years at doing it.

Then allow two relays to be added together with one winner to double your points. Some shoot just one club while others have the time and money to shoot somewhere each week. No one is saying that that is not fair. I enjoy shooting. Let's keep it fun.

Back