New 45X x 45mm Sightron with ED Glass

give the True-Bore Alignment System a shot. I ain't never goin' back to that fussy stuff!

GsT

It's on my Short List Gene!

I envy you.

BTW, since I've got you on the horn...... how does the True-Bore chuck handle tapered barrels in that 6-jaw assy? I do a lot of barrels where I'm not clamping on the parallel portion.

It's on my Short List Gene!

I envy you.

BTW, since I've got you on the horn...... how does the True-Bore chuck handle tapered barrels in that 6-jaw assy? I do a lot of barrels where I'm not clamping on the parallel portion.

The chuck is actually a separate accessory. IIRC, I bought my chuck elsewhere (still a 6-jaw) and mounted it to the TBAS. It doesn't do anything special for tapers, but you can shim them how you like and dial out any error introduced. You could also fit it with any other jaw configuration as well - I talked with the fellow that made them about using a 4-jaw (for flat-bottomed receivers)

Something clever that I saw in a Steve Acker(?) video was making an aluminum ring and bondo-ing it to the barrel, then turning the ring on centers. That's not perfectly true with the part you want true, but should be close enough to get you right into the ballpark for fine alignment.

GsT

The chuck is actually a separate accessory. IIRC, I bought my chuck elsewhere (still a 6-jaw) and mounted it to the TBAS. It doesn't do anything special for tapers, but you can shim them how you like and dial out any error introduced. You could also fit it with any other jaw configuration as well - I talked with the fellow that made them about using a 4-jaw (for flat-bottomed receivers)

Something clever that I saw in a Steve Acker(?) video was making an aluminum ring and bondo-ing it to the barrel, then turning the ring on centers. That's not perfectly true with the part you want true, but should be close enough to get you right into the ballpark for fine alignment.

GsT

OK, got it.

Thank You :)

Although I have liked Sightron Scopes

I recently had a bad experience regarding their "Lifetime Guarantee" and likely will never buy another because of it. The problem comes when the model one has fails and it has been discontinued. THEN one must buy or pay the difference between that scope and some other model with dissimilar features, etc. Not good for the consumer, IMHO.

We are in trouble with scopes and scope makers, in my opinion. One leading brand no longer accepts warranty and apparently has turned their back, having been acquired by another company and there is no place now to buy a pure 6X competition scope that is what we traditionally knew. The TACTICAL lads have run us out of consideration I guess.

Pete

Same experience...

I recently had a bad experience regarding their "Lifetime Guarantee" and likely will never buy another because of it. The problem comes when the model one has fails and it has been discontinued. THEN one must buy or pay the difference between that scope and some other model with dissimilar features, etc. Not good for the consumer, IMHO.

We are in trouble with scopes and scope makers, in my opinion. One leading brand no longer accepts warranty and apparently has turned their back, having been acquired by another company and there is no place now to buy a pure 6X competition scope that is what we traditionally knew. The TACTICAL lads have run us out of consideration I guess.

Pete

I had the same experience with a Bauch & Lomb 6x24 Balvar scope. It hazed up inside and the manuf said it was obsolete and would not honor the warranty. They did offer a trade in value for a new scope. I refused. The warranty stated they would repair or REPLACE any defective scope. In my mind they were dishonorable and I stated to them that I would never purchase another product from them. And, I haven't.

Beyond that

these companies have gone crazy with tube diameters and reticles that look like scrambled eggs. Who in the world needs all thgat gridwork and 34 MM tubes? Ridiculous, IMHO. Apparently those young folks who shoot aspire to be the sniper king of all times. I don't get it, really I don't!

Pete

............Who in the world needs all thgat gridwork and 34 MM tubes? .......

I do :) ...... Horus Vision, "Christmas Trees" (ATACR, MOAR, CMRW, TS32-S1) 40moa bases...... ya' need something more for the longrange unknown yardage stuff!

The only part that peeves me is that the starched armpit tacticool crowd drives the market.... they all want "mil dots cuz it's more better ak'rit, and stuff"

Luckily March brought out the Genesis in both..... 6-60 Genesis, 400moa of elevation and moa FMA-MT reticle, Ohhh Yeahhhhh, bring on the yards Baybieee!!!

Plus, I'm working the bugs out of a subsonic elk rifle, bring on the feet baybieee!! I be bringin' The Rainbow Of Wrath....

Pete, I shoot British match rifle (unaltered .308 Winchester in a 2½ kilogram barrel at 1000, 1100 & 1200 yards). You get some ranges where the wind gets particularly nasty & you'll see 25 MOA +- on the scope either side, depending on the day. Now there aren't a whole lot of scopes that will give you a dependable 50 MOA wind, with a certain amount of wriggle room in case the scope doesn't mount up precisely coaxial with the bore every barrel you screw in, so more is better.

For quite a time we've put up with the Leupold VXIII with it's occasional issues just to get that 90 MOA on the clock.

Elevation isn't that much issue, as many have rails built with enough lean so that the mechanical centre of adjustment coincides with the 1100 yard zero, to make the windage adjustment as robust as possible.

The bottom line is a properly designed 34 mm tube is more liable to have better mechanical adjustment potential, all else being equal.

As far as Christmases decorations are concerned, our aiming marks have MOA relatable scoring rings which allows us to hold off with acceptable precision & not have to learn how many MOA or Millierads each scratch subtends at the power we're using.

Pete

Pete

if the unavailability of quality 6X scopes continues that is something that the competitive organizations will have to think about.

Back