New .308Win barrel for custom Rem700, ONLY 300yds

)Stephan

Because of decreasing performance of my installed barrel I am interested in getting a new shilen barrel for my custom Rem700 in .308Win.
Custom is: trued action, jewell trigger, pillar bedded in McMillan A2 Stock

Can you please advice me on a new barrel, especially regarding the twist?
I was thinking about a Shilen 17"twist for shooting light bullets in the range of 100-130grs, but my gunmaker recommended a faster twist, e.g. 13".
Actually I will use this rifle exclusively for 300yds shooting, but he told me also the 13"twist will stabilize light bullets and you should be able to achieve very tiny groups.

Any comments or recommendations?

I use a 15 for 135 and 125 grain bullets. I think you could do a 16.
I think your gunsmith may have a 13 in inventory he is trying to sell.

Twist rate has long been a "discussion". Competition folks tend to get the slowest twist that stabilizes whatever bullet they intend to shoot - and that's that. Works pretty good! You'll know when you've exceeded the bullet weight limit!

Your gunsmith is maybe looking at what's available to shoot rather than having a clear perception of your intentions. If you're not gonna holler when a 17 twist won't shoot 200 grain bullets into one hole just tell him that.

Are you limiting twist rate because of torgue

I have two 30br rem 700 with 1-17 twist Krieger and Brux barrels. They both shoot well but are limited to bullets that are 1.08 inches long (135 SrMkg). I don't think you should limit a .308 to that twist, so your gunsmith is correct and shoot the 155 and beyond. 1-11 would be preferred.

He clearly says he is shooting 130's, and wants a twist based on that.
300 yds not 600 yds.
Your answer is way off base.

I have two 30br rem 700 with 1-17 twist Krieger and Brux barrels. They both shoot well but are limited to bullets that are 1.08 inches long (135 SrMkg). I don't think you should limit a .308 to that twist, so your gunsmith is correct and shoot the 155 and beyond. 1-11 would be preferred.

I don't think ritchie301's post is off base at all....just me though. Truth is, only the owner knows what's right for his barrel and all we can do is offer alternatives based on very limited information. The alternatives offered are often based on very real circumstances but that's not well explained either because of assumed knowledge.

wilbur,
The OP clearly said two things "300 yards" and "100-130 gr bullets".
and what twist.
he has mentioned this rifle and matches in previous posts.

why jump to a 600 yd design ??

Thank you very much for all the input!
My gunsmith told me that light bullets are not easy to get around here and therefore he recommended a faster twist that can be used with heavier bullets if I should ever run dry.

Since I do not shoot thousands of bullets (per rifle) each year this should not be a problem.
Again, thank you very much!

Regarding that 17" twist, can one calculate (or just lookup) a good barrel length?
I tried some Lapua "Cutting Edge" G477 Bullets over a case full of N135 and I cannot see any signs of overpressure. For those faster burning powders, does one need such a long barrel as a 24"?

I do not beleive that is a good combination
To low of an operating pressure.
Even going up to the 130 the pressure stays lo
No you will not need a long bbl
Try them and see how it works out.
I think n130 would be a better powder.
Having said all of what looks good by the book..i actually shoot
n140 with 135's with lower than optimal pressure, but it shoots very well.
Regarding that 17" twist, can one calculate (or just lookup) a good barrel length?
I tried some Lapua "Cutting Edge" G477 Bullets over a case full of N135 and I cannot see any signs of overpressure. For those faster burning powders, does one need such a long barrel as a 24"?

After taking a look at the Lapua reloading book and checking the combination in quickload i believe you are right, the pressure is a bit low.
Since I do have some N133 available I might try using it for this combination also.

Thanks again!

Get a 1-17 twist. It will be ideal for jut about any bullet from 130 down.

Personally, I would go on ahead and chamber it it 30BR. Out to 300 yards you can shoot 118-125 grn match bullets at 2950 and if you are using flags can shoot circles around a 308.

But, you might not want to do that. So, for your purpose, get a 1-17, some good 125's, some Varget or 4895, and go to town.

Get a 1-17 twist. It will be ideal for jut about any bullet from 130 down.

Personally, I would go on ahead and chamber it it 30BR. Out to 300 yards you can shoot 118-125 grn match bullets at 2950 and if you are using flags can shoot circles around a 308.

But, you might not want to do that. So, for your purpose, get a 1-17, some good 125's, some Varget or 4895, and go to town.

Jackie, I wanted to chamber the barrel in 30BR but it is not legal in this case.
We are only allowed to use "chamberings that are used in police and military applications" e.g. .308Win, .223 Rem .30-06,... Sadly it is just like that. (Tight necks etc. are allowed..)

Thank you all very much for giving me feedback.
Also I have received some feedback from bullet and barrel makers, probably a 24" long barrel with a 17" twist will fit my application best.

Thanks again,
Stephan

308 Bullets and Barrel Twist

I re-barrel a lot of 308 Winchesters mostly for F-Class and Palma. I do a few for Varmint shooters and Youth shooters.

Bullet weights 110-120 I would recommend 1:17 or 1:18

Bullet weights 120- 130 I would recommend 1:15 or 1:16

Bullet weights 140- 156 I would recommend 1:12 or 1:13 or 1:14

Bullet weights 150- 185 I would recommend 1:12 1:11.27, or 1:10

Bullet weights of 185- 200 I would recommend 1:11 or 1:10, or 1:9.8

Bullet weights 210- 230 I would recommend 1:10 - 1:9.2

The limiting factors would be bullet length and barrel length.

Nat Lambeth

I have two 30br rem 700 with 1-17 twist Krieger and Brux barrels. They both shoot well but are limited to bullets that are 1.08 inches long (135 SrMkg).Find the best shooting sticks here. I don't think you should limit a .308 to that twist, so your gunsmith is correct and shoot the 155 and beyond. 1-11 would be preferred. Find best biometric gun safe

I think it's not good choice. my opinion. And in you can find the best shooting sticks 2016 in this website

Last edited:
Get the 17 twist , it sounds like you are building a rifle for a specific purpose . Your gunsmith is just trying to steer you down the conservative path, but you know what you want, stick to it.
As to difficulty getting light bullets if nothing else just order some 125 TNT's they shoot very well for an off the shelf bullet. And no it does not need to be 24" there used to be a famous BR gunsmith in NY who no mater what length you ordered your 30 cal barrel it came back 21.5"
Dick

Back