Needin' a little help here.

kim

Using LE Wilson dies, I am loading .308 Winchester, fully prepped brass with 168 grn Hornady A Max bullets. The problem is a ring forming below the tip and completely around the bullet. The case walls are cut to .014 and the ID is .306. What's happening?

Thanks

Kim

Kim ...

First things first. What's your chamber neck diameter? What was it reamed to? :)

I forgot to mention that my necks are .014 wall and .306 ID. I wouldn't think .002 would cause the problem. Maybe I'll call Wilson tomorrow and ask them.

Molon Labe

Kim

Using LE Wilson dies, I am loading .308 Winchester, fully prepped brass with 168 grn Hornady A Max bullets. The problem is a ring forming below the tip and completely around the bullet. The case walls are cut to .014 and the ID is .306. What's happening?

Thanks

Kim

Believe what you are talking about if I understand it right is an abrasion ring in the jacket material at the point where the seater stem contacts the bullet, as pressure increases on seating the stem a little factory finish is taken off.

DR

Kim ...

Pull out the INSTRUCTIONS for your Wilson Chamber Type Bullet Seater. At the bottom of the front page, third paragraph, below the word Note, it says:

"The plunger is designed to fit many different shape bullets and therefore it is acceptable for the plunger to contact a small portion of the bullet during the entire seating operation. SMALL RINGS in the tip of the bullet due to limited contact are "OK" and NO CAUSE FOR CONCERN." ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's way more than a small ring, it is deforming the nose of the bullet. I will take and post pictures tomorrow.

Molon Labe

Kim

Kim,

I recall seeing on another forum where a guy had problems with Amaxes, though his were a smaller calibre than yours.

In that case, you could see from the shots he took of the projectiles (seated & pulled) & the inside neck of the case that there was a lot of friction when seating brought about by his neck preparation. The inside of his necks were rough & his chamfering was not smoothly done so there were little dags hanging off the chamfer cut. That looked to be the issue.

On that basis & my own experience, I suspect that Amax brass might be a tad softer than some & the friction between it & the neck higher. These days, I don't have issues because I moly or boron coat my projectiles, so I'm guessing that if your case necks are smooth, some lube like graphite might slick up the seating enough to avoid the problem.

John

Kim,
As your cases get reloaded more and more, the case necks get quite hard. Then they become stiff, and it requires more pressure to seat your bullets.

Another thing to consider is how you chamfer the necks. I recommend using a VLD reamer. The improved angle does a better job of starting your bullets during seating, and it eliminates bullet shaving. It's also important to clean the inside if your case necks. I use a spinning steel bore brush for that.

You can also reshape the bullet seating stem in your die, so it will fit the particular bullet you're using. Just spin the bullet, and use valve grinding compound to remove any sharp surface that now contacts the bullet.

Check my website for more reloading tech tips WWW.LARRYWILLIS.COM

- Innovative

Thank you, gentlemen, as always some good information here. Some ideas here that should work.

Molon Labe

Kim

From your description, the nose of the bullet is interfering with the seating plug. Drilling the center of the plug and then finishing with lapping compound and a bullet nose may solve your situation.

Back