Need some help with a 6BRX problem...

Is your barrel a .236 or .237 bore? A .236 will affect the load,pressures,and velocity.Just thinking outloud.

matts 52 . . .

He did report that

"My LG barrel is a Krieger 5R 30” HV and my HG is the same but straight 1.25. They’re both .237/.243."

I can see having ONE gun that acts like this.....I refer you the the "exploding gun" saga!! But to have Two different guns/bbls that use the same loads, have the same "sweet spot" ect.....and then BOTH have the same "problems"....Wild stuff.

And, I can tell you one thing for sure right now.....I can't help you!!:eek:

Tod

Bullet Jacket Thicknes=To much Pressure?

Could Berger have changed the jacket thickness on your bullets compared to what others are using? :confused: Different bullet here, but blowing primers with a thicker jacket.
Another interesting result was that while we were shooting the thicker jacketed bullets both barrels produced several blown primers. The .257 barrel produced 14 blown primers and the .256 barrel produced 5. There were no blown primers while shooting the regular jacket bullets. We did chronograph five shots using regular bullets at a MV range of 2,996 to 3,024 fps. The chronograph was not working later in the day so we could not check the MV produced when shooting the thicker jacket bullets
http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?49336-Berger-bullet-failure-test&highlight=

Charles--
It would seem that if your primer pocket expansion is not from oversize chambers, it must be from too-high pressure. Your velocity is on the low side for the powder choice and charge, so the pressure spike has got to come from the bullet's resistance to travel down the bore at a fast-enough rate. So either your bullets are too-large or the bore is too-small. Applying Occam's Razor here, it's got to be the bore.

You say both barrels are Krieger 5R .237, but maybe they are not. You might get them checked with a pin gauge, but it could be something else about the Kriegers that is causing the resistance. Either way, you probably won't want to replace both fresh barrels. So your options are reducing friction with moly-coated bullets or bore coating, or using a slower-rise powder. In my own 6.5x47 comparisons of Varget to RE-15, I found a very noticeable difference in recoil between the two at the same velocity rates. The Varget slapped back much sharper and quicker.
Jerry

I have switched to RE15 and am testing it now. It does seem to give me less presssure. According to Quickload it should be about 3,000psi less than my Varget load. Looks promising.

Charles

Back