Need help with gun values

J

JimmyO

I have two firearms that i need help finding values for.

The first is an Anschutz Exemplar in 22 hornet. It is currently wearing a Redfield 2-6x scope. It is in excellent condition overall, the only marks on it are a couple of small nicks on it at the base of the pistol grip and just above the pistol grip. I have looked on every site I could find and have not found any exemplars in 22 hornet for sale or that have recently sold.

The second gun is a Shilen DGA in 22-250AI. I spoke to Shilen this morning and they told me that it went out in 1976 as a complete rifle. However, I believe it was re-barreled as the barrel is stamped "barreled by Shilen." Further evidence of that is the barrel bedding is two different colors/materials.(action is one color bedding, the rear 2 inches are bedded in another color) I am not positive if this is the stock it left the factory with. Shilen records the serial number, the caliber, and when it left the factory, nothing about the stock. I have found a bunch of DGA's online but what makes this unique is that it is stocked in an exhibition grade claro(?) walnut varminter stock. It has fairly fancy checkering, including a 4-panel checkering on the forend. I have enclosed pictures. The rifle has not been shot in 15+ years and the last time it was bore scoped (has not been fired since) the gunsmith said it was excellent.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jimmy

Attachments

• DGA Forearm.jpg
    DGA Forearm.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 286
  • DGA Forearm 2.jpg
    DGA Forearm 2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 308
  • DGA 1.jpg
    DGA 1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 418
  • DGA 3.jpg
    DGA 3.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 301
  • DGA 4.jpg
    DGA 4.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 337
  • DGA 6.jpg
    DGA 6.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 307
Last edited by a moderator:
when shilen chambered a barrel it says "barrel by Shilen" on the side with the caliber and is stamped with a number punch right in front of the recoil lug underneath. I'm sure yours has a 76 somewhere in that number so that sounds like the original shilen chambered barrel to me. I've owned 3 and seen lots more just like that.

You are correct Dusty. Everything I have seen say that they weren't doing the fancy stocks in 1976 though. Any idea of its value?

Shilen DGA

Jimmy, I've got two old Shilens, they are fine rifles. One of mine has a factory fancy walnut thumbhole stock.
The markings on the bottom of the barrel contain the following information. Mine reads as follows 6T75SM and translates to: 6= June, T= Turk (employee who barreled the action) 75=1975, and
SM= Select Match, which is the grade of the barrel blank. Shilen shipped the first DGA in June 1974 and was #101; they ceased production of the DGA in 1991. One of mine is serial #210.

Mr. Stevens makes reference to "Barreled by Shilen" and the caliber designation on the barrels. No doubt this is true, but not always the case. Both my rifles are early ones and only have visible markings indicating the caliber, i.e. 222.5 or 6.5X55. No other markings other than those described above on the bottom of the barrel in front of the lug.

Dusty, I'm not casting aspersions, just sharing as much information as I can, obtained directly from Mikel Shilen during several telephone conversations.

Ones I've bought and seen sell are in the $1,000 to $1,500 range. Hope this helps. Keep me in mind if you decide to part with it.
John Kruzan

Last edited:

Theo, Thanks for the link but the Exemplar is a 5 shot repeating bolt action pistol, not a rifle. I have scoured all the auctions and classifieds for something comparable. They
Exemplars were also offered in 22lr, and those are not nearly as uncommon. The last 22 Hornet Exemplar I can find sales data on, sold over 3 years ago for $1450. However that one had a nicer 2-7 Leupold rather than a Redfield.

how much would a shilen barreled remington 700 be worth in mcmillan stock?

Dusty, It would toatally depend on who barreled and fitted the stock. Was the action trued? Was the trigger done? How was the stock bedded. What caliber is it. What model McMillan stock? How many rounds have been through it, and what is the bore condition? I have seen Shilen barreled Remingtons go from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.

shilen barreled it just like yours. when it says "barrel by shilen" they did the chamber job and action work in house. its in a paint by numbers woodlands camo mcmillan sporter stock they bedded and installed a shilen trigger in. its chambered in 7x57 and I shoot silhouettes with it. had a few hundred rounds thru it and its in the exact condition it was when it came thru shilen's shop in 1989 with no additional scratches

Based on what I've seen over the past few years, there isn't a high demand for a DGA although they are certainly a very good (Damn Good) action. I have a similar rifle with similar wood and didn't have to mortgage the house to get it. If you found someone who really had the hots for it you might get a very good price. However, I think you might struggle getting $1000 for it.

YMMV,
Rick

Back