Need advise on a beefier Arbor Press

Markhor

Yesterday while seating 30BR bullets in fairly new brass, a bit tight, my one year old Arbor press jammed up.
When I opened it up, I found that two of the teeth had sheared off. I will be sending it back to Sinclair on Monday.

After this experience, I am thinking of looking at getting a beefier Arbor press. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

I am sure their was a flaw I.e. the teeth were not hardened or their was a crack already in the wheel.

Ed

Not really overkill Jerry because one can shove the handle back a way and use the short end.
But Ed; Was it the 30BRs that messed the mesh of the gear or was it a flaw? You don't need a lot of pressure to seat 30BRs.

Russ Haydon shooterssupply

Yesterday while seating 30BR bullets in fairly new brass, a bit tight, my one year old Arbor press jammed up. When I opened it up, I found that two of the teeth had sheared off. I will be sending it back to Sinclair on Monday. After this experience, I am thinking of looking at getting a beefier Arbor press. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Ed, Let Sinclair replace it. I'm sure they'll take care of it. Based on the looks of theirs, it looks exactly like Harrell's: http://harrellsprec.com/index.php?crn=205&rn=382&action=show_detail which wouldn't surprise me if Harrell's actually made it for them. Otherwise, if you've lost confidence in Sinclair's product, you might want to go with a K&M arbor: http://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/arbor-press/arbor-press.html

In any case it sounds like a materials flaw which sometimes happens. Staying with the same size and weight has many advantages including portability. All three companies are known for quality equipment. I have plenty from each one of them. :)

I liked the press and have a lot of Sinclair tools with zero issues. I am sure the replacement press will be fine.
I agree the Harrell's press does look identical to Sinclair.

I want to get a backup press incase I run into another issue at a critical time. I want to make sure the press that I get gives me the neck tension feel.

Thanks,
Ed

I have a Jones that is really stout, but I think that you would have to find a used one, because I think that he stopped making them. I have used mine with a Wilson FL die, just to see if I could, and how it would work out. The press did fine.

Henry Harrell makes a damn fine press. He does not cut corners. I used to work for Harrell's so I would know first hand. He does not make arbor presses for Sinclair. He does however make a heavier version of his press (at least he used to).

Give him a call and ask about it. Tell him what you need it to do and he will do what he can to meet your needs.

I had a bruno's press that broke, I called them and was told that they updated the design, and basicly I was out of luck. I replaced it with a K & M unit and never looked back.

Back