Need A Load For .223 Tikka T3 Tactical 1in8 Twist.

R

robbobsam

Hiya Guys,

I am looking for an an accuracy load for my new Tikka T3 Tactical in .223.

I will be using it out to 600yds and will be using it on Varmints and targets.

I was thinking of using 69Grain SMK's but if you can suggest better bullets and loads I would be very pleased to hear them. I want the ammunition to fit and feed from the magazine when touching or just off the lands.

I am like all of you guys very much into getting the best accuracy out of my rifles.

Been thinking along the lines of AA2520 or H4895, not tried anything yet but I usually try to steer clear of Varget due to the "Alledged" increased barrel wear.

Also, would the Berger 70grain VLD fit in my magazine set touching the lands ???

Do any of you guys have experience with this calibre with 70grain VLD's???

Thanks Guys.

My Tikka T3 .223 with 1-8 twist shot 80gr Noslers seated long over about 25 grs of Varget started with WSR primers very well. They will not fit in the clip.....I used a stripper clip to start each round in to the chamber....a pain but it was worth for the groups out to 400 yards. A friend who insisted I sell this rifle to him holds the light sporter "world record" at St. Thomas Sportmens Assoc. in the Ground Hog Shoots, it was shot with my handloads...............

not quite so and even you said so.
the will fit in to the stripper CLIP...
they will not fit in the MAGAZINE(it is not a "clip")

it is unlikely you will find a 600 yd load in 223 for 600 yards that will fis a standard length mag.
typicall length on an 80 gr bullet is 2.4 something....not mag length.
a 69 is just to light for 600...a mag fed 75 will get there..but not the accuracy of a 75 or 80 seated long.
and how would any of us know where the lands are on YOUR rifle.
call ask for sample bullets make up dumies and see.( a stony point type tool will help here)
2520 works well, 4895 is a pain to load but works.
since this is not "benchrest" shooting consider asking on the general or factory forum...you do have a factory rifle.

mike in co

My Tikka T3 .223 with 1-8 twist shot 80gr Noslers seated long over about 25 grs of Varget started with WSR primers very well. They will not fit in the clip.....I used a stripper clip to start each round in to the chamber....a pain but it was worth for the groups out to 400 yards. A friend who insisted I sell this rifle to him holds the light sporter "world record" at St. Thomas Sportmens Assoc. in the Ground Hog Shoots, it was shot with my handloads...............

I've got the same gun, never go 600 yards but @ 100, 52 gr Fowler/Scheider FB Match Bullets over 24.8 grs of Vithv N133 in Lapua Brass with 7 1/2 or GM 205 primers, seated just a touch longer than will work in the magazine/clip, it does really Great on whitetails with the Sierra 55gr GameKing # 1365 over 25.0 grs of H335, seated long but not too long to work in the magazine/clip, save yourself time & money, go ahead and spring for Lapua Brass,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

As mike in Co says the 68/69 gr bullets aren't the best choice much past 300 yards. Depending on the length of the throat in your rifle, and the length of the magazine you will find that 75-80 gr bullets will likely work the best. That is if the 80's will stabilize in your rifle.

The only way to know if a bullet seated to the rifling will fit in your magazine is to make up a dummy round with the bullet at the rifling and see if it will fit in the magazine. Mostly the longer/heavier bullets are meant to be single loaded and seated to something like 2.4" ± because the .223 case is pretty small for bullets of that length and weight. The Sierra and Nosler 77 gr HPBT's and Hornady's 75 gr HBPT (NOT THE A-MAX THOUGH) are designed for magazine length loading in AR's, but the 80's and heavier are the ones designed for 600 yards. For reliable accuracy they're mostly used with 7" and faster twists too.

You're going to have to experiment with bullets, seating depths, and powders to find what works best for your rifle. People can tell you what works for them, but it might not work for you, and ALWAYS start low and work up the powder charge.

Sent a PM. Ive had great results out to 400 with the Berger 70 gr. VLD in my Savage LRPV factory gun with a 1-9 twist, haven't had a chance to shoot it past 400 for now. The two times I shot it in competition it showed well a first and a second, and most were shooting the 6mm Norma. I'm very happy with it, as far as fitting in your magazine, I think you'll have to find that out for yourself, as all chambers are different and not familiar with the magazine lenght on that rifle?????

Welcome,
I'm on my fourth 223 Tikka T3 benchrest groundhog shoot rifle. The last 3 have been 8 twists. The first 8 still holds the factory 5 shot group record of 1.591” @ 500 yards at the Mifflin shoots. The gun I have now uses 77g Bergers into the lands with VV140. The two 8 twist before it shot better with VV135 and the same bullet. Varget wasn't far behind. I had McCauslin Rifles make me an adapter for the magazine so that it single feeds real nice. Be careful of taking the ejector out if you have fat fingers. The port may be too small for you to reach in. Also the stock is horrible for bag use. Unless the club you'll be shooting at permits sleds to be attached.

Back