need a little advise. Kiff bolt??

skeetlee

fellas i have an old rem 700 bld delux in 222rem. the rifle is in excellent shape but i want to do something a little different with it. I have wanted a 22-250AI now for about 3 years and i am thinking now or the near future is the time to make a move. My question is about the bolt. My bolt is a 223 bolt face and i need a 308 bolt face for the 22-250. My rifle is from the late 60 or early 70's so it should be a pretty decent rifle ( i guess anyway. it seems everyone likes the older rifles for whatever reason) I dont know what it will cost to have this bolt face opened up and a new extractor installed so i dont know if that is an option or not? The other thing i thought about was selling this bolt and buying a kiff bolt in 308. I think thats going to cost around 150 bucks. I could probably sell the old bolt for 75 to 100 bucks, I think anyway?? I dont know much about these kiff bolts, like if they need fitted or trued up? the action hasn't had any work done to it so the receiver face will need trued anyway. thats another 150 bucks. I plan on putting a shilen #17 barrel on this rifle, but i guess that really doesnt matter for this topic. So what method would be best cost wise and performance/ accuracy wise. Have the original bolt re worked or buy a Kiff bolt? Any ideas? Thanks Lee

I don't think you can get a new bolt (complete) for near $150. If I remember right Greg Tannel charges $125 to open the bolt face and sako extractor then you would really need to have the firing pin bushed and turned to .062, about another $70 and you still have the stock bolt handle and the bolt isn't precision fitted to your action. If you can sell that bolt for a reasonable price, then throw in the rest for the Kiff...You may get out with both arms intact that way and have a much nicer bolt.

I think we could work out a trade for a bolt; I have four stock 308 size Remington Bolts, body only, with the extractors intact and the anti-bind cut in the lug. They do not have the firing pin assembly but yours will fit. Email me with your request and we can exchange some info.

Jim Kobe
Jkob60@msn.com

Kiff Bolt

There are a few things about using a Kiff bolt that you may or may not be aware of. Kiff bolts are made with extra metal at the rear of the lug so they can be fitted to the action. This will require some precision machining to fit properly. You will also need to have a bolt handle attached to the bolt after the bolt is fit to the action. You will also likely end up with a single shot. Although I've never tried I doubt a .22/250 will feed from a .222 magazine. A .22/250 magazine assembly won't fit a 700 .222 action without altering the cutout on the bottom of the action. How do I know all this? A few years ago I had the bright idea (I thought) of using a Kiff bolt to use a 20 Tac barrel on an early 1960's 700 action, originally a 6mm Rem. I had all these issues although the magazine issues were the reverse of what you want to do. Kiff bolts are high quality items, but may not be as easy to swap as you might think. Good shooting! Vic

Skeetlee:

A recommendation I would have is to buy a Remington 700 bolt with correct bolt face (.473") for your 22-250AI project. Keep original bolt you have now.

In my experience, a Remington 700 bolt with factory ejector and extractor functions just fine.

Going price on a used Remington 700 bolt is about $185.00 if you can find one.

Have both bolts tuned when having action tuned. This would give you the ability to easily rebarrel back to .222 or any wildcat based on a .222 case in the future.

Old Cob

Back