Need a F/TR rifle built. I have a few questions

V

va78

I know plenty of smiths that would build a killer rifle.....But I would like to try and build it off of a Model 70 reciever. I'm sure most of you will say it's not a good enough platform to me competitive with, and if this is true I'd like to know why? I'm pretty positive you dont need a custom action for this or at least I hope not. A good barrel with a good square action, trigger control and good loads should be what's most important right? Anyway's what are you guy's using or what is the most popular equipment in the FTR class.. I have 1750 to spend on the rifle and I already have good glass.....

...But I would like to try and build it off of a Model 70 reciever. I'm sure most of you will say......

.........I'm pretty positive you dont need a custom..............

.........Anyway's what are you guy's using or what is the most popular equipment in the FTR class......

What do you want anyone to say?

Maybe some input..i was told in another forum that alot of guys use remington actions..was my question not good enough for a worthy reply?? I asumed I would get an educated answer.

The 10 ring is ½ MOA at 1000 yards & the X ring is ¼ MOA. You need components that will desirably put all the shots in the 10 & a goodly number in the X. There aren't a lot of people would include a Winchester action in that mix, as I see it.

Of course, if you only plan to shoot short distances, you might just manage.

Sounds like a savage m-12 f-class is what you need. By the time you get it set up with base, rings, bipod, bag ect. you may make your budget. These rifles will shoot when set up right,just ask team savage.

Chuck.

Mess not in the affairs of dragons,for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

I know plenty of smiths that would build a killer rifle.....But I would like to try and build it off of a Model 70 reciever. I'm sure most of you will say it's not a good enough platform to me competitive with, and if this is true I'd like to know why? I'm pretty positive you dont need a custom action for this or at least I hope not. A good barrel with a good square action, trigger control and good loads should be what's most important right? Anyway's what are you guy's using or what is the most popular equipment in the FTR class.. I have 1750 to spend on the rifle and I already have good glass.....

If you look on the Great Britain F Class website at www.gbfclass.co.uk there is a write-up on last year's European F Class Championship - probably the biggest F Class shoot in the world. The equipment list for the top ten F/TR shooters shows three Barnard P actions, two Savage, three RPA (a Brit made action) a Scherf (German) and a Stolle. The Stolle won.

Vince (UK)

If you want to FTR, the Stolle Panda F-Class is at the top of the list. I build the Jeff Rorer Series rifle. It includes a Stolle Panda F-Class action 20 moa dove tail base, McMillian Long Range Prone stock, w/ 4 way buttplate, thumb wheel adjustable cheek rest, anschutz rail under the front. Kelbly 30mm 4 screw 20 moa rings, kelbly trigger, and 32" Heavy Palma, Rock Creek 5R cut rifled barrel in either 1:12, 1:11.27, or 1:10 twist barrel. You can purchase an action wrench and barrel vice and switch out your own barrels. The base cost of these rifles is $4,200-$4,400.
Nat Lambeth

I have a remington 700 I trued and when I took it to the range the guys ribbed me (all in good fun) and claimed you need a custom to win. I went on to win the next club match at that range! In my view build it and have fun. The worst that can happen is you have a gun that will not be competative on a national level but might get you above some of the customs (hopefully) in the club level matches. At best (very best) you might win some club level stuff and do well the rankings in the national level comps. I just would not expect to be the best shooting gun at any match, then do the best I could. Have fun with it. If it is all about winning you gotta pay and that is still no gaurentee. I say build it do the best you can and have fun. It does not matter if you own the best it matters that you are getting to the range an having a good time with good people.
I also do respect everyone elses oppinion and believe they are correct, I just want to come at this from a diffrent angle and encourage VA78 to build the gun but not have expectations that are not realistic.
Brandon

Maybe some input..i was told in another forum that alot of guys use remington actions..was my question not good enough for a worthy reply?? I asumed I would get an educated answer.

If you're looking for comments, here's one: good luck with your project. Post results when it's finished and you've thoroughly tested its capabilities.

I have built a couple of F-TR/F-Class and you can do it without breaking the bank i am firm believer that you don't need a full blown custom to compete. Make sure your stock is comfortable to shoot with.Brass-Bullets-Barrels are the three things that make a great rifle. the action and other things like that are a plus don't get me wrong but they don't make up for ability to read the wind and plain shoot. if you can keep your bullet speed at 1.2 mach at the 1000 yard mark and can pickup on the wind changes then you are good to go.

With that being said i would true up the winchester action throw a good barrel on it like a shilen, mcgowen, pacnor or others. make it around 28 to 30 inches. Prep your brass choose a good bullet and work up a load.

One more very important thing is a GOOD bipod something with a very wide base

If you want to build off of a Model 70 go for it! You don't need to spend $1000+ on a custom action to be competitive. Find a gunsmith who's willing to work with what you have...

I've been shooting a Model 70 for a few years. Won my share of local matches, I hold two national records in Fullbore (15 shots at 600 yards). It's more the indian, not so much the arrows. Good Luck!

Back