Neck Turning Tool for Lathe Mounting

I dont understand why anybody who has a lathe would want to use a manual neck turner chucked in a lathe? As soon as you expand the neck it is going to loose a bit when going around the mandrel! Just single point using the same dia. as your bullet, the way Jackie does it!

because i am nowhere near as good as jackie on a lathe,
i do not turn big lots
i use my lathe as a powder source to rotate the case, and
hand hold the cutter
works for me
your mileage may vary

I dont understand why anybody who has a lathe would want to use a manual neck turner chucked in a lathe? As soon as you expand the neck it is going to loose a bit when going around the mandrel! Just single point using the same dia. as your bullet, the way Jackie does it!

because i am nowhere near as good as jackie on a lathe,
i do not turn big lots
i use my lathe as a powder source to rotate the case, and
hand hold the cutter
works for me
your mileage may vary

I don't turn big lots either, last was 100 220 Russians.
When you look at the whole process the hardest part is turning a caliber specific mandrel, then a spud to push the case onto the mandrel and maybe the coupler to pull the case off of the mandrel or use a 21st Century case holder as shown in the first few minutes of the video.
Not in any way trying to be a smart arse but how will anybody become more proficient with their lathe if they don't make the effort. Just straight forward lathe procedures. Easy peasy!

I was not trying to upset anybody by what I posted! However if you want to check your results, all you need to do is turn a mandrel to your exact bullet dia. then put the case on and single point it!, then put a dial on it and check for runout! Net resize one of your cases that you use in matches! And put it on the mandrel and check for runout! That is why I use the lathe! Just trying to help out other shooters!

but i do 25 to 50 pcs at a time in most cases.
i am happy with my process.
at 72 i have not stopped learning, but my vision(only one eye) does limit what i enjoy doing.

I don't turn big lots either, last was 100 220 Russians.
When you look at the whole process the hardest part is turning a caliber specific mandrel, then a spud to push the case onto the mandrel and maybe the coupler to pull the case off of the mandrel or use a 21st Century case holder as shown in the first few minutes of the video.
Not in any way trying to be a smart arse but how will anybody become more proficient with their lathe if they don't make the effort. Just straight forward lathe procedures. Easy peasy!

I did some years ago on my lathe

BUT, I enjoy doing them by hand. I use a 1/2" drill motor to turn the cases and hold the Pumpkin in my right hand and one go, have them done. I've heard guys say some of the best groups they ever shot were when first firing cases they had made so I don't bother to fireform then, just shoot e'm and keep going. There have been a lot of pros and cons on all of this over the 20 odd years I've been shooting Benchrest. I, like many others, have developed a belief system for what I'm doing and let the rest go. I don't do that many cases anyway.

Pete

Last edited:
Back