Neck turning speed

I want to buy a electric screwdriver for use in turning my necks which one would you guys suggest? I only see a few that have a variable speed,is that necessary or not.

They work very well. I used a variable speed drill running at low rpm's with my lymann neck turning tool, (use with trimmer). Keep your mandrel oiled so you do not gawl the inside of the case neck...
Dan

Too Fast is bad---much over 4OO rpm and you will build excessive heat on the mandrel even with a good lube. This will in turn transfer unwanted heat to the brass giving you an albeit small but inconsistent cut because of the heat. Brass is more sensitive to heat than the steel mandrel that you are inserting into the case. Use the lube and be consistent when you kiss the front shoulder and then bring it back off the case.

Also make sure your mandrel is the correct diameter---the mandrels that are for my competition rifles brass were actually turned to ensure that I have the correct diameter required for a not too tight and not too loose fit.

I turn at 140 rpm by chucking the long stem of my K&M tool with one of Ron Hoehn's carbide mandrel in my floor model drill press. I have the expander mandrels turned down to .001" over the turning mandrel and get a snug fit on the necks and very nice consistency. Don't try that tight fit on the standard mandrel or it will pick up brass.

Actually the last I did was on Speedy's use to be case lathe at 450RPM. Seemed about right. You go to slow and you thread them.
Butch

I did have to feed the turning tool very slowly, both directions. I was able to clean up the 'threading' by slowly removing the tool.

I will try higher speed !!

I turn at about 450 rpm. It is important the pilot is not too large or it will heat up and score the inside of the neck. I use a drill press and a Forester trimmer. I can turn and trim to length at the same time and once set up I can do a lot in a short time. Slow feed down and a slow feed up...

trimmer4.JPG

I turn mine much like Dennis. The slowest speed on my drill press is 470 rpm and seems about right. It is very important that you lube the case neck inside and out. I use PG2000 and dip the neck in a very shallow puddle before each case is turned. Feed on and off at a rate that eliminates the "threading" mentioned above. Be aware that feeding too slow burns off the lube, galls the neck and raises temperatures considerably. Once you get the hang of it you'll have a consistently warm (but not hot) mandrel and cutter all the way through a large batch of cases.

I use a Makita 1/2" 540 RPM Variable speed drill and never come close to running it full speed. I'd guess and say I'm doing my cases at around 200 rpms.

Get yourself a Lee 3 Jaw Chuck and you're in business. Don't forget you need the mandrel part to go with the chuck and that's sold separately. That part is sold with another gizmo for neck turning that's more like the typical shellholder locking things that are common. The Lee stuff works great with a VS drill.

Back