neck turning a 6 dasher

skeetlee

I have a new 6 dasher reamer with a .266 neck and i am going to put that reamer to use here very quick. I havent ever turned necks on a dasher and i am wondering what the common practice for this is. I have a pretty good idea but i thought i would check first. Let me know how you go about this. Thanks Lee

I do not neck turn my dasher brass, but I do run turned necks in all of my other BR chambers.

If it were me, I would iron out the necks of the stock 6 BR case and turn those cases all the way to the neck/sholder juncture. This will eliminate any chance of a doghnut forming down the road.

After you neck turn the BR brass I would use step 2 from the above link to FF my brass. You will end up with new dasher brass that have been neck turned well into the sholder. I ALSO Jam the bullet hard into the lands and use LOTS of neck tention. Your biggest enemy is the brass being slammed forward by the fireing pin, giving you lots of run out in your FF'd brass.

Good luck,
Tod

Last edited:
Lee, I stop the neck turner where the new should will be formed, that will be your false shoulder. Turn it down and try it in the gun till you feel a little resistance when you close the bolt with no ejector. I give min. clearance the first time, so the case neck grabs the chamber better and after i fire form i turn again .002+ clearance on the loaded round. Don't polish the chamber more than 120 grit and get a nice cross hatch pattern. remember to clean and dry the chamber and cases with non chlorinated brake cleaner. PM. me for more info....... jim

I'm with Todd on this if you care to know.
If you turn it to the shoulder of the br then expand it to 25 cal and then run it into your dasher die until the bolt will close with a little resistance against the false shoulder you just formed then fireform with a good br powder charge you will make good brass. I never had a donut problem with brass I made like this.

6DashForm_zps26a5cbac.jpg

I turn them as 6mmBR cases, to eliminate risks of donuts, then do a second light cleanup again as 6Dasher's after they have been fired twice. And use the false shoulder method for fire-forming (+0.020" crush).

Donovan

Back