Neck Tension?

Rick , I guess you are right short range guys don't use a GD503 to weigh powder to +-.005,They don't measure bullets, Weigh primers don't worry about neck tension. You can get away with about anything and it will work up close, your big worry is the wind.... jim

Maybe you are finally getting it. For short range it's not the high dollar scales, the hours doing mindless stuff like weighing primers and powder to the kernel and all the other mechanical stuff. It's not luck either. It's the skill to read the wind and knowing where to hold and when to pull the trigger. Do I need to repeat???? "It's the wind stupid". (paraphrase ) No insult to Jim intended. I have loaned out Tony Boyer's book, so I can't go and look it up and could be wrong. But I don't recall the most successful benchrest shooter in history doing all that stuff, with the exception of paying some attention to neck tension, which most all of us do.

Rick

You left out...

...come to a score match and show us all how it's done. The UBR Nationals are 8/31 and 9/1.
If all those details are what matters, and if Jim's 1000 yard gun shoots like I've read many times, we might as well stay at home...but I'll be there, just to see. I've been shooting sanctioned matches for well over a decade and I've yet to see a single long range rifle/load/shooter win a single one. I've never even seen one get a smell of winning, yet we are doing it all wrong.

WELLL, Actually,

Much could be potentially gained if Short Range Shooters made perfect ammo. Gauges to measure seating force are superfluous to simply measuring the OAL of loaded rounds, measured as closely as one can to where the bullets will engage the lands when they are fired. If every round is the same, exes will multiply or have the potential to. It really doesn't matter how much force was needed to place the bullet exactly where it needs to be or how much neck tension is present as long as the neck tension holds the bullet where it needs to be held. Powder weighed exactly and bullets presented exactly are the two most important things next to knowing what wind flags say. There is something to be gained by being more precise, otherwise, groups wouldn't say they do. Bad reads on wind flags will kill it all, however.

I, somehow feel compelled to throw this on here every so often or after each time I prove it to myself whenever I change a load or bullets and see the results on paper. I realize, like old Chester A Riley from years ago, most people's heads are made up on the subject.

Pete

Last edited:
Much could be potentially gained if Short Range Shooters made perfect ammo. Gauges to measure seating force are superfluous to simply measuring the OAL of loaded rounds, measured as closely as one can to where the bullets will engage the lands when they are fired. If every round is the same, exes will multiply or have the potential to. It really doesn't matter how much force was needed to place the bullet exactly where it needs to be or how much neck tension is present as long as the neck tension holds the bullet where it needs to be held. Powder weighed exactly and bullets presented exactly are the two most important things next to knowing what wind flags say. There is something to be gained by being more precise, otherwise, groups wouldn't say they do. Bad reads on wind flags will kill it all, however.

I, somehow feel compelled to throw this on here every so often or after each time I prove it to myself whenever I change a load or bullets and see the results on paper. I realize, like old Chester A Riley from years ago, most people's heads are made up on the subject.

Pete

Perfect ammo......what a concept. You mean to tell me that I am actually supposed to measure this stuff instead of just filling a case full of whatever is on the bench and raking the top with a knife blade? And actually measuring how long this thing is? Well, I'll be dipped in $hit...after seventeen years of doing this stuff somebody shows up and tells me what I should have been doing all these years. Will wonders never cease. :rolleyes:

Rick

It's been done several times

...come to a score match and show us all how it's done. The UBR Nationals are 8/31 and 9/1.
If all those details are what matters, and if Jim's 1000 yard gun shoots like I've read many times, we might as well stay at home...but I'll be there, just to see. I've been shooting sanctioned matches for well over a decade and I've yet to see a single long range rifle/load/shooter win a single one. I've never even seen one get a smell of winning, yet we are doing it all wrong.

6BR, 105's 8tw bbl, seen it clean up on the ppc at 200. But then again I just shoot group.

Richard

6BR, 105's 8tw bbl, seen it clean up on the ppc at 200. But then again I just shoot group.

Richard

Actually, when we started UBR several years ago we did have a guy with a 6 Dasher that won a few matches in Modified Class, but his scores weren't competitive with Custom Class. Now and then we have a few shooting Savages in Factory that shoot the fast twist with 105's, but again they aren't competitive with custom rifles. Recently, there have been a couple of guys shooting 1-10 twist 6 BRAs with 80ge bullets that have done well. The ultimate hasn't been created yet, but the consistent winners have been light bullets with slow twists. We are always happy to have long range shooters come and compete. But in the past eight years of UBR, they haven't had much if any success that I can recall. OTOH-some of our regulars compete in club level 600 yard matches at one range and win more often than not. But again, this is a small sample.

Rick

Back