neck clearance

what do you use or it in your br rifles.also what are your thoughts on this subject.have been looking over t j jacksons articles and dave scotts also in presion shooting.it is said you need to have less then .001 total to get groups in the zeros at 100 yards.

That's not been my experience because it's difficult to do correctly. It's like barrel threads. A little loose doesn't hurt a thing but a little tight can cause problems. I like .002" total in my PPC. .003"-.004" on large calibers.

Barrel Torque

That's not been my experience because it's difficult to do correctly. It's like barrel threads. A little loose doesn't hurt a thing but a little tight can cause problems. I like .002" total in my PPC. .003"-.004" on large calibers.

Dave,

would you be kind enough to elaborate on a little tight. i personally torque to 50 lbs using anti seize. Panda actions

I wouldn't worry too much about shooting zero's. Not many shooters ever shoot one in a match, even in trigger pull conditions. In fact, not that many shooters shoot in the one's . Put some trigger time testing in , with different bushings and see what your rifle likes. I'm just a self proclaimed middle of the pack shooter, so that's about all this advice is worth. Consistency and agging is what its all about. In your neck tension , reloading , and shooting. Spend the money on a resizing die that matches your chamber and shooting a ppc will be a better experience.
It takes a great barrel, bullets and tune to shoot a zero.

yes,
not likely to take advice from someone that thinks 1's are rare in competition, and no zeros too...
sorry been there seen'em.

I wouldn't worry too much about shooting zero's. Not many shooters ever shoot one in a match, even in trigger pull conditions. In fact, not that many shooters shoot in the one's . Put some trigger time testing in , with different bushings and see what your rifle likes. I'm just a self proclaimed middle of the pack shooter, so that's about all this advice is worth. Consistency and agging is what its all about. In your neck tension , reloading , and shooting. Spend the money on a resizing die that matches your chamber and shooting a ppc will be a better experience.

Good advice!

Dave,

would you be kind enough to elaborate on a little tight. i personally torque to 50 lbs using anti seize. Panda actions
Mr Weikart, there have been many discussions over the years concerning the proper CLEARANCE to use when machining barrel threads. This clearance, ie the "space" between the threads and the action is what Dave was referring to..... basically the same dimension, on the same plane as neck clearance. It was not a reference to "tightness" as in torque.

A little bit of luck also helps!

Right on the money Kurtis

We all like to shoot small but the agg wins the day.
I doubt mr rsmither has ever shot a sanctioned BR match. (aka keyboard shooter) Otherwise he would totally understand what you are saying.

Richard

Neck clearance

Mr Weikart, there have been many discussions over the years concerning the proper CLEARANCE to use when machining barrel threads. This clearance, ie the "space" between the threads and the action is what Dave was referring to..... basically the same dimension, on the same plane as neck clearance. It was not a reference to "tightness" as in torque.

Thank you kind sir, I appreciate any and all advice, part of the learning curve

Neck Clearance

what do you use or it in your br rifles.also what are your thoughts on this subject.have been looking over t j jacksons articles and dave scotts also in presion shooting.it is said you need to have less then .001 total to get groups in the zeros at 100 yards.

I run 0.003 total which allows me to swap from BT and FB Bullets and still have roughly 0.0025” clearance depending on the bullet specs - pressure ring etc

I used to run 0.002” and the extra clearance I run now is not hurting at all.

I actually don’t know anyone who is running 0.001” or fitted necks

Cheers
Michael

Just look at the date of that article. A LOT has changed since then. It is still interesting to read and one good takeaway from it is pay attention to details.
Joe

I run 0.003 total which allows me to swap from BT and FB Bullets and still have roughly 0.0025” clearance depending on the bullet specs - pressure ring etc

I used to run 0.002” and the extra clearance I run now is not hurting at all.

I actually don’t know anyone who is running 0.001” or fitted necks

Cheers
Michael

NOT meaning to change the subject, but does using BT or a FB change the clearance?

i shot the last three cactus classics, and have match wins at ben avery.

We all like to shoot small but the agg wins the day.
I doubt mr rsmither has ever shot a sanctioned BR match. (aka keyboard shooter) Otherwise he would totally understand what you are saying.

Richard

Back