NBRSA members

I am in the process of building my own private range. It'll be ten covered benches to begin with........ And to have registered BR matches.......Exactly what type of event am I going to put on??? Could VFS be the way to get the ball rolling.....the more I think about it....the more sense it makes. Also, I want to set up a factory class...but there's another agruement waiting to fire up again.

Hovis

Hovis

Varmint For Scores main attraction is less people and equipment required to hold a fully recognized registered match. This is why it is appealing to many small ranges.
And anyone who has shot more than one or two matches and will tell you it is not easier than group just different.

As to factory class that is a fine thing to get new people interested just do not get all bogged down in what should be legal and Fair etc.
Dick

And don't look for

As to factory class that is a fine thing to get new people interested just do not get all bogged down in what should be legal and Fair etc.
Dick[/QUOTE]

National sanctioning. Just do it. The "factory gun" issue is a local one and should stay there so it remains fun. Bringing to the National sanctioning stage opens up a Pandora's box that will only destroy it.

For those that think Factory can't work may be interested in other shooting sports and Factory (aka Production) guns.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/news/team-glock-dominates-uspsa-back-to-back-nationals/

Production Nationals. You must earn a slot, pay well over a hundred bucks to shoot it.... and they have a waiting list over a hundred deep.
http://www.uspsa-nationals.org/

15 years ago Springfield was paying this guy 100,000 p/year to shoot their guns. He still wins just as much now as he did then so I'm sure they are taking care of him. Go see what he's shooting.
http://robleatham.com/

IDPA - All those guns are "factory". They have thousands of members. They have limited their Nationals to 250 shooters.
http://www.idpa.com/champ_info.asp

Don't say it can't be done - Perhaps we just don't know how to do it.

The range I'm building will be set up for out to 600yds, pistol, prone, and clays. Doubt if I do any competition except for BR, 600yd (maybe) and Tactical (maybe). The terrain would support a pretty good stalking/firing course for Tactical on about 60 acres but I don't want this range thing to occupy all my time. It's being built to support my fun, not to become a job or a money maker.

Hovis

I do not shoot Benchrest to make money. I shoot Benchrest to spend money:D.........jackie

Ditto - Jackie! And, I'm pretty good at it. :)

Just yesterday I ordered another 2,000 30 cal bullets from 10X, A 20tactical full length bushing die (midway had it on sale) and I can't remember what the other item was.

The range will be located in central southern Indiana (little town named Shoals, 47581). The range has been a two bench range for several years just for me to pratice on. But since I retired from the service, I have a little more time to shoot. Thus wanted better facilities to pratice (bathroom, overhead cover, etc) to better simulate a real range. Well, I decided on a three concrete bench range but then my wife started shooting, and loves it, then the kids are starting to shoot now, then a couple of my friends got guns, so I kept expanding it. So if we all get together to pratice, well, I actually could use more than ten benches but I only have bag setups for three people so I have to rotate the kids on one setup. Then I thought, well, if I'm gonna have over 5 benches, why not have a match. I've gotten by pretty cheap as a friend has a backhoe, tops poured for 28.00 each, a friend that had two forms for tops and a concrete mixer to mix for legs, got a bunch of recovered lumber, etc, so my overall investment isn't all that bad...so far. If everything goes as planned....I'll have about 3000.00 in the whole works with the room to expand to 20 or so benches. But as of right now...there's no power, other than a generator and no drinkable water. In the future there will be as I will be building a new home overseeing the range from a hill. Time....it's all about available time.

Hovis

Hovis

Francis

An NBRSA member has a "good idea". He presents his "good idea" to his representative, who in turn may present this "good idea" to the rest of his constituants at regional matches or at a regional meeting set up for that purpose. Since I have lobbied my fellow regional shooters into thinking my "good idea" is a "good idea", we vote on and pass my "good idea". My director goes to the Annual Meeting before the National Championship and presents my "good idea" to the other regional directors. The entire or a majority of the board of directors say this is a "good idea" and they approve it. At the firing line of the National Championship, they present my "good idea" to the rest of the NBRSA or those in attendance at the National Championship. They approve my "good idea" and it becomes law.
Why is it that if my "good idea" doesn't win the approval of the BOD, it doesn't have a chance to go to the members at the National Championship.

Why isn't it presented to the membership present at the National with the caveat from the BOD that this is a "bad idea"?

I'm thinking that you don't completely understand the membership meeting at the nationals as it affects rule changes. I'm also thinking that you're not alone and there's a reason.

From the "book":

(200 and 300 yard), Rimfire, 600-Yard and 1,000-Yard Benchrest
Shooting) must first be approved by the Board of Directors. The
rule change would then be “temporarily effective” beginning on
January 1 of the following year. The regions will have already
given the rule change a “first look”. Then during this “temporarily
effective” period, the changes will go through a “trial period”
before final ratification by the General Membership. The following
year, the rule change must be ratified by a majority of the
members voting at the National Championship Tournament in the
particular discipline affected by the change, and then shall
become effective upon ratification.

The only "approval" the membership has at the meeting is for equipment and course of fire items the board passed the previous year.

Withstanding, from time to time, the general membership meeting has been used to circumvent the entire process. The directors have allowed this to happen by not realizing that some regions (perhaps their region) are poorly represented at the general membership meeting. Typically, an item passed at the board meeting Saturday is rescinded the following Friday because it was unpopular with the members in attendance at the nationals....some 200+ members often "weighted" geographically.

Again, here's what I'm shootin' at. For discussion's sake, let's say an item is placed on the agenda, the directors determined their region's vote on the item, and the item passed at the board meeting. Given that, how could a director possibly back off the item without returning to the place where his initial vote cometh. One answer could be that adequate representation for an individual region is present but wouldn't that dishonor the regions that were not adequately represented at the nationals?

If we continue to circumvent the process based on a show of hands at the general membership meeting then we may as well cut out all this director stuff.

Last edited:
Quote:
If we continue to circumvent the process based on a show of hands at the general membership meeting then we may as well cut out all this director stuff.

Then why don't you bring this to the board as a agenda item.
put the job back in the directors hands the way it used to be.

This is gonna sound "cutesie" (not my intent) but how would I word the agenda item..."I move that we do it like we're supposed to"?

Adrian, I don't

For those that think Factory can't work may be interested in other shooting sports and Factory (aka Production) guns.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/news/team-glock-dominates-uspsa-back-to-back-nationals/

Production Nationals. You must earn a slot, pay well over a hundred bucks to shoot it.... and they have a waiting list over a hundred deep.
http://www.uspsa-nationals.org/

15 years ago Springfield was paying this guy 100,000 p/year to shoot their guns. He still wins just as much now as he did then so I'm sure they are taking care of him. Go see what he's shooting.
http://robleatham.com/

IDPA - All those guns are "factory". They have thousands of members. They have limited their Nationals to 250 shooters.
http://www.idpa.com/champ_info.asp

Don't say it can't be done - Perhaps we just don't know how to do it.

want to belabour the "factory" issue, but you are using ENTIRELY divergent disciplines as examples. Pistols (IDPA, USPSA, IPSC,etc.) hardly fall into the same category as benchrest. Do you let Coopers go up against Rem 700's? Do Remington or Winchester or Savage custom shop rifles go up against 722 .222's? They are all production rifles? They are all "stock"? Are they on equal footing? As a National Santioning body that is working on the ULTIMATE OF ACCURACY, why are we trying to decide how many angels dance on the head of a pin. Let the "factory rifle" issue lie within the clubs that want to deal with it. Foster it, suggest it, DON'T sanction it.

actually you could have coopers and remchesters shoot with bats and farleys. other games have figured out how to serve the small budget person very sucessfully. you would have to convert to a money system . the secret is to pay some back to the remchesters. membership would double in 5 years. a small shoot with 25 bats and 25 savages could have a payout of 5000 dollars and the winner would pocket over a thousand. drop back a couple tenths in the agg and split up 800 dollars among the factorys. they will be back. and everyone of them is a potential buyer of a a full blown rig. that will advance the sport. many will want to move up to the big money. more ranges, more gear sold, more work for smiths, etc. bullets would be in short supply, powder nonexistant, barrels would take 3 months. but it would change our way of life because we would have to start locking up our stuff all the time. if an organization were to embrace this it would really grow.

i shot in april and paid 50$ per day to shoot. we had over 50 shooters. 50 times 100 is 5000$. take half the pot and split up 40,30 20 and 10 percent for the first level and that is 1000 for first.750 second, 500 third and 250 fourth. start the second level .2 or .3 back in the agg. the second level could have 30% of the pot and if split 40,30,20,10 would have 600 for first,450 second,300 third,and 150 fourth. the third level could be another .2 or .3 back and could have 20% of the pot and with the same split would pay400,300,200,100. if the winner shoots a flat .2000 then the second level would start to pay at .5000 if .3 is chosen and .8000 would start the third level. surely some factory guns could be around those numbers. the club would cut the pot for expenses and profit. the guy with the savage that gets 300$ for second in the third level and gets more money than the fourth place in the first level will get drunk and crow for a week at how he got more that all those customs.

Back