NBRSA 2012 Agenda item on creating an experimental class

On the positive side of the current rule change, a 1000 yard type stock with a flat rear end parallel to the forend in a 22 short 100 does sound very interesting.........

Not really. If the 1000 yard stock -- or for that matter, the same pattern used in a rimfire -- had a definitive advantage, it would have shown up by now.

If improvements are to come, one place might be if the center of mass in a rifle could be at the center of the bore. For example, anyone who's looked at Varmint Al's modeling has seen that the stock forearm leaves the front bags -- upwards -- before the bullet clears the bore. And that the loading on the rear bag is variable. Not to mention the stress the scope is subject to on firing. Lots going one, there.

But consider a rifle where the center of mass is on the center of the bore. Now the rifle should come straight back. Less stress on the scope, less influence on the rifle by the bags. But if the pundits are right, you also lose the ability to tune the barrel for velocity variations. Ah. But if the barrel taper can be reversed, gravity will pull the muzzle down rather more, allowing for some upward motion when fired. How will that interact with the equal center of gravity? I don't know.

All sorts of stocks become possible, such as Shelly Davidson's tinker-toy (without the need & perhaps compromises to stay legal with current rules). Or, a barrel blocked rifle, where the scope is on the block, and where the block, or a short extension, serves as the forearm.

Nor would these designs make a rifle a bench rifle only. Not that hard to make a shoulder fired rifle with these designs, if they prove to have advantages.

Etc.

Wayne Campbell and I talked yesterday about this "Item 10" proposal and feel the evolution into something beneficial may take a few years to work out to something we want to keep in the rule book.

So, in the meantime while we thinking about an "experimental class" and while we we're blue-skying, think about a handicapping or classification system within this slot. Could we not use this developmental effort to offer other incentives to grow participation in the sport.

The Sporter agenda item was submitted by the Gulf Coast region....

OK, fine, but my original question was about the SW regions Item 10 about eliminating of the Sporter Class from the Nationals. Was there any action taken on this or was it combined with Item 1 of the Gulf Coast proposal?

Larry, sorry about misstating what region the Sporter proposal came out of. It was the Gulf Coast region.

The SW region submitted a proposal to do away with Sporter and create an experimental class; which didn't pass (can't remember if it was combined wth the Gulf Coast agenda item, was voted down or died from a lack of a second).

Last edited:
The SW region submitted a proposal to do away with Sporter and create an experimental class; which didn't pass (can't remember if it was combined wth the Gulf Coast agenda item, was voted down or died from a lack of a second).

Well thank you Joe. Someone is finally answering my original question.

Back