Nascar history

C

Cheechako

With all the fanfare over Jimmie Johnson's 4th title, we've overlooked a piece of NASCAR history that we all witnessed - Michael Waltrip actually led one lap.:rolleyes:

Ray

Ole Michael

Ray, it's amazing he didn't wreck while doing it.

Looks like the #42 Car and the #14 Car have something to work on this Winter. That being, deciding which one will put the other into the wall first during the 2010 Season.

Do you think "Danika" will make it in NASCAR??. Bad things happen in the middle of the pack, and that is where she usually is.

Congrats to the #48 Team. Four in a row. And, everybody is wondering what it will take to keep it from being five. Aside from banning Chad Knaus for life, NOTHING..........jackie

Danica is certainly going to be the butt of a lot of new jokes, and some old ones too. And it will be interesting to see who her first pushing contest is with.:eek:

Ray

as PC as nascar is these days, I feel sorry for the one who dumps her, they will be going to the trailer for sure. Steve

Last edited:
Be interesting to see how she adapts to the big heavy dogs called stock cars. Most of the really successful drivers have a lot of dirt experience in their background that I don't think she has.

My man Tony could be the one.
Butch

Oh dear God...another Tony fan. My wife "became" a Tony fan about 3 years ago after driving the #20 car at the Richard Petty Driving Experience in Las Vegas. I haven't talked to her since.

He'd be a lot faster if he'd lose 50 or so pounds.

Maybe he's pregnant.

Justin

You ever heard of 'left side weight' or the phrase 'low and left' ?

No...but I think I understand the concept. The extra poundage gotta help the car turn left...Gordo makes a helluva pivot point.

"Negative on the track bar adjustment...just give Tony another Double Whopper with cheese and a milk shake".

Guy can drive hell out of a car, though.

Justin

Why?????

With all the fanfare over Jimmie Johnson's 4th title, we've overlooked a piece of NASCAR history that we all witnessed - Michael Waltrip actually led one lap.:rolleyes:

Ray

Why do you pick on Michael? Someone has to finish in the middle to the back of the pack, not all of them can win. Anyway Michael is one of the best interviews in NASCAR. Also he has had some of the most spectacular wrecks in NASCAR. He will be due for another win in about 4 years.

Was it Richmond or Rockingham where MW had a huge impact that basically tore the whole front of the car off right about at the dash ?? He was fortunate that there were no more impacts as there wasn't hardly any frontend structure left.

Ever since

I got my new flat screen and HDTV about 2 months ago, I have never watched so many sporting events on tv in HD. Sports left me when I moved out of Winnipeg and the Jets were moved to Phoenix.

Now I am watching NFL and CFL football and trying to watch NASCAR all at the same time. Throw in a hockey game with that and yes I cannot wait to watch the ladies curling in HD.

Yes, I have rediscovered NASCAR and enjoy it. At times it is like watching paint dry but can be exciting waiting for the big one to happen.....

This past weekend even though it was nice to see #48 win his fourth in a row, with the help of the entire team and Hendrick Motorsports, I would have loved to see Mark Martin steal it from him.

Something about seeing the wiley veterans kicking the guys as+. I am one of the young ones but I still like to see the veterans kick a++.

Oh yah and Danika, not to hard on the eyes. The only thing that could make her standing in the winners circle better is being presented the trophy by Sarah...... ;^)

Calvin

Was it Richmond or Rockingham where MW had a huge impact that basically tore the whole front of the car off right about at the dash ?? He was fortunate that there were no more impacts as there wasn't hardly any frontend structure left.

It was Bristol around late '80 early '90s. Then another driver did the exact same accident after one of Brunton's boys "forgot" to put the pin back in the gate.
This is still a clip of both accidents on youtube.com. I've been around racing for a long time and 2 of the most scary accidents you will ever see.

As for watching NA$CAR anymore... I'm not interested in the fender cars that go round and round for 450 laps then proceed to wreck everyone to get to the front. You want to watch some real racing, go to your local short track and watch the NA$CAR modified division. lightweight, big tires, lots of horsepower, and no aerodynamic tricks. You simply race side-by-side to see who wins. And it is NA$CAR's oldest division, they jsut don't advertise them because when the modifieds race on the same track as the cup cars the modifieds are faster and better racing. NA$CAR doesn't like their "premier" divisions being shown up.

Steve

Mike's Bristol accident

Mike Harmon's same Bristol crash

I would have loved to do a roadrace version of a Nascar modified and I have thought about a street legal one but all that is behind me now:(

I would have loved to do a roadrace version of a Nascar modified and I have thought about a street legal one but all that is behind me now.

CRB,
You are never too old!! Check out this street legal '35 Chevy coupe. Wouldn't mind riding around on a Sunday afternoon in this old modified.

1935 Chevy street legal modified

FYI: NA$CAR just scheduled a road race for the northern modified tour at Limerock Park in Connecticut for 2010. And they ran at Watkins Glen back in the early to mid '90s. Steve Park qualified on the pole for the first Watkins Glen race in the modifieds and that is what caught Dale Earnhardt's attention that lead to him ultimitely hiring Steve Park for his DEI #1 ride in the Cup series.

Also check out the website of our vintage racing club Southern Ground Pounders Racing Club. Lots of old interesting toys that we race on tracks around NC, SC, and VA. Your never too old!

Steve

I may be wrong, but I thought I heard while watching the race that next year there will be no Waltrips in Sprint Cup. First time since 1972.

Tom

CRB,
You are never too old!! Check out this street legal '35 Chevy coupe. Wouldn't mind riding around on a Sunday afternoon in this old modified.

1935 Chevy street legal modified
Steve

I injured my neck in 2000 and can't lift anything over about 25 lbs without inducing numbness and migraines so it's not age it's rough living. I fight my gearhead disease nearly everyday.

When I read '35 Chevy' of course I'm thinking an old upright modified. That thing looks awesome but the seating position might be a bit too severe.

As far as the vintage cars, a bud used to have an old Edmonds 4 bar midget with a Chevy II motor. We had it set up with side draft Webers running on gasoline to avoid all the methanol fuel system headaches. We had a nearly flat 3/8 mile dirt track we could rent and play on. There were 4 or 5 V8-60's; a genuine Kurtis Kraft Offy powered midget; a flathead powered sprint car from the late 30's.... Once or twice there would be 4 or 5 mini sprints and sometimes some dwarf cars.

John's Edmonds [ or is it Edmunds ??? ] was of course faster than any of the old stuff [ full modern cage helps ;)] but I couldn't beat the mini sprints. Those wings were too much to overcome and they wouldn't take them off :mad:

crb, you mean one like this without the offset.
http://www.wlbsite.com/photo/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=0

I keep thinking a similar frame without the offset and a Chevette body from the firewall back would make me a nice street car.

My idea was to use a Plymouth Arrow body with a 2nd gen Camaro front subframe and the rear end and leaf springs out of the Camaro. The Arrow has the correct fastback profile and is RWD so you already have the trans tunnel taken care of. I would cut up the body as little as possible so you have working door windows, WS wipers, stock gas tank, defroster and heater, radio:D,etc. Retain the PS off the Camaro.

Back