Nardini Mascote MS 1440 S/E Geared Head Precision Lathe

What is the general opinion on these lathes for barreling work?

I am not a machinist nor a gunsmith, just an individual looking to learn how to operate a good lathe and eventually do my own barreling work. To start off would be on AR service rifle barrels and chambering fully contoured and threaded Garand and M1a barrels from Krieger.

Inspected one, not me really but a machinist friend did the thorough inspection. The tool has a tag that shows final inspection of 1995, and the overall condition is above average, no visible gouging on the ways, compound is undamaged and runs well, the electrical box looks almost new, no corroded connections or broken wires, the gears show no damage, but the only thing that we were not able to do is turn on the machine and make some run out measurements and test cuts.

The original owner (not the current seller) used this machine to products for the high tech industry, cutting mostly aluminum and 316L small pieces.

I do not know anyone locally who has a Nardini, I thought I would post here and get feedback on how these machines are for gunsmithing.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you all for the responses. Be assured if and when I get my own lathe, you guys will be bombarded with endless questions. So many things to learn.

The thought of buying this, PM-1340GT, for more money, but the safety net of the 3 year warranty is kind of appealing and not knowing whether parts for the Nardini are even available, coupled with my total ignorance of lathes, maybe the new one is a better option for me.

Thoughts?

http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM1340T.html

Most of the pre threaded and contoured M1 and M1A(M14) barrels are short chambered and can be done without a lathe useing a pull thru reamer. That is how the service teams(AMU, USMC) do them.

the spindle bore is only 1.2" dia...so anything bigger in dia would have to be done across the bed, which in my opinion is harder more time consuming than thru the headstock.
you will be fine with ar bbl...depending on the length...but even that can be tooled to work.

stool, you are incorrect. You must have miss-read whatever specs you dug up. The spindle on a MS-1440 has an internal nose taper of 1:20 (probably what you miss-read) and a spindle bore of 1.81"/46mm.

Most of the pre threaded and contoured M1 and M1A(M14) barrels are short chambered and can be done without a lathe useing a pull thru reamer. That is how the service teams(AMU, USMC) do them.

Thank you.

I could order un-chambered threaded and contoured barrels though, if I were to venture using my own reamer, right? That would be later on for me to start chambering expensive barrels. My plan is to practice on some old shot out 20 inch service rifle AR barrels and 14 heavy contour barrels. I have a few of them of each and I can have some of my buddies donate a few more before I will start cutting on virgin barrels.

Gents,

Assuming the used lathe is in good shape and worth buying, is it prudent to spend the extra 2K and get a new "gunsmith" lathe, either the PM or Grizzly, and enjoy the warranty?

How important is the weight of a lathe, the Nardini and another I am looking at are close to 3K pounds, whereas the PM-1340GT and the equivalent Grizzly are almost half the weight and that includes the bases? What am I getting with the weight? Not important for chambering and threading barrels?

Thank you.

What is the general opinion on these lathes for barreling work?

I am not a machinist nor a gunsmith, just an individual looking to learn how to operate a good lathe and eventually do my own barreling work. To start off would be on AR service rifle barrels and chambering fully contoured and threaded Garand and M1a barrels from Krieger.

Inspected one, not me really but a machinist friend did the thorough inspection. The tool has a tag that shows final inspection of 1995, and the overall condition is above average, no visible gouging on the ways, compound is undamaged and runs well, the electrical box looks almost new, no corroded connections or broken wires, the gears show no damage, but the only thing that we were not able to do is turn on the machine and make some run out measurements and test cuts.

The original owner (not the current seller) used this machine to products for the high tech industry, cutting mostly aluminum and 316L small pieces.

I do not know anyone locally who has a Nardini, I thought I would post here and get feedback on how these machines are for gunsmithing.

Thank you in advance.

I have a 1340 Nardini. I have always been happy with the accuracy of the machine. With the addition of a VFD a couple years ago it is a pleasure to run. It a little long through the headstock. On shorter barrels you have to steady rest them. It will hold .0002 runout on chambers. Cuts threads like a house a fire. Needs a DRO.

yes i misread their print..it says 1.21/32.......not use to decimal points with fractions....

so dia is good to go.

Where did you get the print? It would appear the spec of 1 21/32" would still be incorrect. 1 21/32" = 1.656" but the spindle is 1.81" (the Nardini manual actually says 1.13/16"-46mm). I am not quoting a spec from somewhere off the internet, I have an original Nardini manual sitting on my desk. I can also put my hands on a real MS-1440E anytime.

Last edited:
I see. Your example is an early generation. They must have increased the spindle bore on the next generation. You can tell your example is an early generation by the triangular shaped plastic speed change knobs. The later generation uses a cylindrical all steel knob with a steel lever. The earlier triangular plastic knobs have a habit of cracking with the plastic sometimes coming off the metal core. I believe Nardini made three generations of the MS-1440.

Second gen: http://www.parts-recycling.com/Comm...ardini-ms-1440E-geared-head-lathe-photo-3.jpg

Third gen: http://www.lislesurplus.com/misc/Nardini-ms-1440-lathe-with-dro-chucker-turning/picture-2.jpg

Last edited:
A heavier lathe is always better than a lighter one. There was a thread on practicalmachinist.com about making concrete benches for the south bend lathes during WW2 to allow for more accurate work.

A heavier lathe is always better than a lighter one. There was a thread on practicalmachinist.com about making concrete benches for the south bend lathes during WW2 to allow for more accurate work.

Thank you!

That is good to know as I factor it in my decision. Maybe will do a quick cost of ownership, not just base on price, and make the decision between the Nardini 1440, a 13x40 Turnmaster and the PM-1340GT. For a total newbie with no experience whatsoever in running a lathe it is a hard decision.

Thank you!

That is good to know as I factor it in my decision. Maybe will do a quick cost of ownership, not just base on price, and make the decision between the Nardini 1440, a 13x40 Turnmaster and the PM-1340GT. For a total newbie with no experience whatsoever in running a lathe it is a hard decision.

It's probably too late for this summer but every year there are summer gunsmithing courses at the Junior college in Trinidad Colorado. They usually have a basic machine shop class on the schedule. One summer I took four consecutive classes there bookended with two rifle matches. My wife said I will never do that again. :eek:

Here's their machine shop

View out the back door

Nardini Mascote 1440

I see. Your example is an early generation. They must have increased the spindle bore on the next generation. You can tell your example is an early generation by the triangular shaped plastic speed change knobs. The later generation uses a cylindrical all steel knob with a steel lever. The earlier triangular plastic knobs have a habit of cracking with the plastic sometimes coming off the metal core. I believe Nardini made three generations of the MS-1440.

Second gen: http://www.parts-recycling.com/Comm...ardini-ms-1440E-geared-head-lathe-photo-3.jpg

Third gen: http://www.lislesurplus.com/misc/Nardini-ms-1440-lathe-with-dro-chucker-turning/picture-2.jpg

Hi Snyder:

I'm considering buying a MS1440 complete w/2 chucks, follow rest, steady, tailstock chuck, coolant pump, splash guard and live center. The lathe is in very good shape and based on a full description that I had (but lost) I know about the Timken bearings, extra weight, dual oil pumps,precision and quality of construction of these Brazilian lathes.
I remember that the "E" has 18 speeds and the plain MS only 9 all other features being the same. I'm in Toronto, Canada and a former local Nardini dealer offers the original manual (no parts). This machine based on your description is a first generation but the knobs so far are intact. I've owned large heavy duty lathes before and know about the goodness of weight, area in which the Mascotes excell, being overweight for their size. If you wish to share any comments based on your experience with these lathes you can write to me at scrdmgl@gmail.com and it'll be appreciated.

Cheers

Jorge

Back