n133

Loads listed in any loading manual are generally developed for the few factory rifles or rebarreled and lightly modified factory guns chambered for the PPC. As such, these loads will conform to pressure standards that mfgs consider safe.

The high pressure loads used the world of real Benchrest competition are another matter completely. Super strong actions, aggressive extraction camming, specific dimensions of the chamber and very controlled case sizing are mandatory for this type of high pressure loading.

Good shootin' -Al

On this and other accuracy forums I would guess that all that most shooter/reloaders use a manual for is a safe starting load to begin a pressure test with. Personally, the first thing that I do with a new powder is to do a one shot per load pressure investigation, with bullets a little longer than touch, starting low, and working up in increments based on case capacity. For a PPC sized case, my increment is .3 gr. I keep increasing the load until pressure signs tell me to stop. I FL size my brass for each shot. When I see a little more pressure than I want for my top load, I note the previous one as maximum for that ambient temperature and humidity. I do this loading at the range. I do this shooting over flags, on a day that has shooter friendly wind, on the same target, with the same aiming point, noting where each shot prints. This usually gives me a bonus of finding one or more clusters that are the basis for my two three and five shot tests. Generally I use a bullet that has proven accurate in the rifle with other powders.

Back