My rifle will not shoot hot loads at all - still shoots great tough...

H

HopeToBe

First of all, it is a 6ppc and I have been shooting benchrest for years. However, getting a new rifle a few years ago it took be some time to figure out what it liked. And the main difference is the loads it likes.

Starting with the old rifle it often liked the medium to hotter loads, in colder temperatures +30 gr N133 was not uncommon, of course depending on where it shot the best. I would say that old rifle normally shot the best in the range 29-30.5 gr N133 depending on barrel bullet and temperature.

Then, when getting the new rifle - which comes from the same producer of action, stock is different - it took my a lot of time to realize that the new rifle would not shoot the hot loads. It shoots the best in the range of 27 - 28, occasionally up to 28.5. Why is that? I mean, I have had barrels that loved those HOT loads on one rifle, but bringing this barrel to the new rifle it starts to spit some bullets now and then, and will not shoot consistently before entering the low loads. And there is shot great! I have won several matches with it.

Is there any common sense to this? The actions are the same (producer), stocks are different, but that is about it really.

On the positive side, except from the fact that the rifle shoots great, is that the brass lasts "forever".

Note that this is not me trying to force the rifle to shoot hot loads, just trying to understand what is going on and if this could be explained.

A rifle is a system made up from several components. Well maybe not several. a few would be a better term.
It has been my experience that each rifle, or system, even if one rifle is identical to another, will react, and take on a mind of its very own. I have even found that some rifles no matter how expensive, or how well put together will simply not be competitive. I have found that you simply have to spend some bench time with your rifle, and learn its secrets.
There is a lot of truth, in the old saying. Beware of the man with only one rifle. There is a pretty good chance that man knows all that rifles secrets. Lee

Number 1. Who's bullets???
Were they all the same lot?
By the way. There was a 5-6 yr. period of junk Stainless for the barrels.
People don't want to buy a lot of bullets. BUT, when you find a good lot and finally get around to shooting them. THEY ARE GONE! Fact of life.
Like being married. There were some good times, there. Then she ate the wedding cake. Ain't getting any now......
5 guys at work. could not believe this is a true fact.
Now throw in the local water supply. You will never get laid again. 5 guys in Monroe County, Michigan.
You heard of George Custer. He thought, he could take on 10,000 Lakota Sioux with 240 troopers........These 5 guys all thought they could get any women in bed. Ain't even gettin the wife in bed..........

My 2 rifles will not shoot above 29.4 N133. 5 different bullets. LT-32 is too hot right now.

Number 1. Who's bullets???
Were they all the same lot?

Variaty of Bart's, Berger Column, Hottenstein to mention a few. Yes same lot, even same barrel. The barrel shoot great, and I mean really great, on both guns - yet it shoots well with different amount of powder.

I could buy the vibration element, I mean what else could it be?

PS. Secret of keeping the woman "hot"? Engaged for 12 years, yet to be married...

More than several

A rifle is a system made up from several components. Well maybe not several. a few would be a better term.
It has been my experience that each rifle, or system, even if one rifle is identical to another, will react, and take on a mind of its very own. I have even found that some rifles no matter how expensive, or how well put together will simply not be competitive. I have found that you simply have to spend some bench time with your rifle, and learn its secrets.
There is a lot of truth, in the old saying. Beware of the man with only one rifle. There is a pretty good chance that man knows all that rifles secrets. Lee

When you consider the number of components that make up a rifle and the number of subsystems within subsystems that are created when they have been assembled not to mention those of the ammunition it's a miracle they work at all let alone as well as they do. Our knowledge of the laws of physics simply isn't good enough to make any sort of prediction of what load a rifle will shoot best on and probably never will be in my life time. All you can do is test.
Andy.

LT30 is a great powder. I like it even more than I do LT32 for my 6ppc. I cam to the conclusion the very first time I shot LT30, that LT30 will soon replace LT32 as far as ppc powders go. N133 will never be replaced, but I feel like LT30 is a great second go to powder. Great stuff!! Lee

Back