My PPC action is finally done

Thanks Fred. Right now it weighs 13 pounds, 5 ounces. Devcon and paint will put it over the HV limit so the barrel will get chopped. I cut it 22.5" to start which is a little longer than I like. The plan is to land around 20.5 - 21.0".

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

After a year and a half and more hours than I can remember, my PPC is finally done. Here are pictures and the build specs:

Action – Martin BR
Chamber – JGS 1046 (basically a 1045 with a 0.264” neck)
Barrel – Shilen, 6 groove 13.5 twist. Heavy varmint contour
Barrel Length – 21.5”
Stock – McMillan Edge HV
Stock Paint – TCP Global single-stage. Warm graphite. The primer is grey epoxy.
Bedding – 3 home built pillars. Compound is aluminum Devcon and the barrel is completely free floated
Trigger – Bix’N Andy set to 2 ounces (recently upgraded from a Jewell)
Scope – 40x March
Rings – Harrell’s doubles, medium height
Scope Base – home built one piece dovetail
Total Weight – 13 pounds, 4.9 ounces (I plan to shoot HV and score). The weight was verified on two scales

I want to thank the members that gave advice over the past 18 months. Words can’t express how much I appreciated the help.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Thanks guys. As for the bolt, we've always done them with a flat face. I shoot pretty slow and pick my shots so it hasn't been a detriment. If my style ever changes I may make a second coned version.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

All I can come up with is...Beautiful Rifle!

I hope it shoots like the hammers of hell and wins everything in sight...and then some!!!

I finally got the bedded rifle to the range and shot some test groups. Unfortunately I didn't have time to tune so I went pre-loaded. But the gun shows promise, even with a very light charge of LT-32 (26.9 under a 68 gr Ultra). I also forgot to reset my seater and was jumping the bullet quite a bit. Next time I'll start jammed and work back. Even so it returned low to mid 2's all day:

The glare was pretty bad so I'm eager to get a roof over the bench. That'll happen in the next two weeks. After that I'll adjust loads at the range using 2 or 3 shot groups and a sighter target.

Again I want to thank all the members that have helped along the way. Your advice has been most welcome.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Back