My New Barrel Vise

I thought I posted these earlier. It will get mounted this weekend.
1yo195.jpg

2j0cphu.jpg

Bob, The vise is but the inserts aren't. I could get them hard anodized though.
Butch

That looks great!

I also like the part of the stand I can see. Do you perhaps have a picture of the bottom of it? It looks like it's a piece of square tube welded to a plate on top. It could be welded to another plate that's bolted to the floor on the bottom I suppose, but if it isn't, I'd sure be interested to see what you did.

I bolt my vise to the mill table normally, but I could find a place for a vise stand. It would be easier to use on a dedicated stand.

Fitch

Butch,

Powdered sugar... never heard of this trick. Does this work "just as well" as rosin or is this an improvement of some kind (or is it just cheaper than rosin?).

Scott

Jim Wisner, a longtime custom gunmaker and tool maker told me that was what he used. SDid he used it because he didn't want to ruin the high dollar finishes on the barrels. He used to use rosin.
Butch

Maybe this design has been around before, but i'll post a pic anyway....works just fine for doing my switch barrels...simple, easy to make..bandsay, welder, stub barrel to index, surplus boot and an hours time...

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 454
al

it works well at 100 ft/lbs on a rem varmint contour.....i'll try it at 125 and give you a report.....thanks again for the kind words...

pdog

Maybe a little bit of a derail on this thead but.......What happens to the chamber dimensions after it is torqued to 125 lbs? I have never heard of anyone using a "torque plate" prior to chambering.
In my buisness anytime we have a precision hole anywhere near threads we always preload the threads to make sure the bore will be correct after it is torqued.

I'm going to see how I can put a couple small springs in the edges of these blocks.

Attachments

• 350470.jpg
    350470.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 263
That's a nice looking vice. The four bolts should make it grip very well . Al collets should grip well also.

Back