my m77/22 biuld rifle.

D

derek casey

034.jpg
033.jpg
032.jpg
i baught this rifle 3 years ago for $200. my friend told me it shot like crap. he didn't lie at all. i ordered a shilens barrel for it. i have a nikon 4.5x14x40mm on it. i'm putting my 6.5x20x40mm nikon target scope on it tonight. i could get better groups with a lighter trigger, and a better shooting bench. the one i have in the basement now is made of plastic and wiggles alot. not good for trying to get good groups. i'm getting a weaver t36 for it in a month so i hope that works out for it. i might even try a tuner out on it as well. the top roll is federal gold medal. all groups are 5 shots. the rest are wolf mt. they are all five shots but the bottum left is 10 shots of wolf. if i don't get called out in the morning i'm going to find a better table and try more match rounds till i find one it really loves. hope it isn't pmc match cause they stopped making it!!LMAO!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're just starting your journey into benchrest. Have fun! Open wallet & watch money fly away. Don't get too frustrated.

Jard makes a pretty good trigger for that gun. I have a couple of 77/22's and one of them has the Jard. It breaks clean at 6oz. That will make a huge difference in your groups. It also looks to me that your sand bags are pretty sloppy. You may want to try to add more sand to stiffen them up. The Shilen barrel should be a great improvement on that rifle. Have fun.

yeah the bags are a little loose. i've got to pick up a bucket of sand at work this week. i've shot some in our local game club, but they are talking about dropping the .22lr's. i think that is a bad bad ideal. more people can afford to shoot .22lr's than centerfires. i'm going to get a annie for my next match rifle. then maybe a remington. i'm just playing right now, but i'm doing it in a very serious way. i want to place higher this year if they don't stop the .22lr matches.:D i really don't think the ruger can be a serious match rifle, but i'm ganna gice it a try and see. i have close to 125 rounds down the barrel since i put it on. ganna play some more today because there is no wind again.:eek: i have to reset the scope cause i put my 6.4x20x40mm nikon target scope on it last night. now i should be able to see the bullseye better at 50 yards. can't wait to see the weaver t36 on it in a month or so. i'll also try more types of match rounds on it. this rifle was fun to biuld but i really don't see it doing well in matches. it might but time will be the desiding factor.

it was another wonderful day here in kentucky. no wind so the day was ment for shooters!!! i got out the ol table( and i need a new one. this one wobbles and moves when you shoot.)and benchrest and bags. i used 1/2 inch targets at 50 yards today.
targets003.jpg
targets001.jpg
targets006.jpg
targets005.jpg
targets004.jpg

Looks like the Wolf was working the best for you. Some of those are pretty nice groups.

i really believe a new bench that doesn't move and wobble would help me out a great deal. it wants to move when you put a round in it or try to get your cheek weld right. it folds up in the middle and is unstable. i think the wolf was working pretty good as well. but until i get a new table i won't be able to tell for sure.

ruger

I had one of these rifles w/a green mtn.stnls. fluted bbl. it shot about like the second set you showed I could never better that . I finally traced it to the 2 piece bolt& wasnt smith enough to fix it. Good luck

there is alot of slop in their bolts. i didn't use anyshims and set it back alot to tighten up the bolt. now you have to put pressure on it when you close it. there is no slop in it now. it is tight. i really think the table moving is what is hurting me the most right now. i'm going to get a annie to use in matches cause i just don't think the bolt is the only problem with these rifles. heck my box stock savage will out shoot it. i was getting .1's&.2's with it last summer. i just don't think the ruger will do it.

I built my dad a 77/22 with a Shilen drop in barrel, he shot for the first time last week and was holding sub .5 in groups @ 50 yds with crap Rem ammo.

it does shoot alot better than before i put the new barrel on it and will do alot better if i have a better table. mine moves and wiggles when you shoot. and i have to clean the barrel after about 55 shots cause it starts going south bad. i'm not used to rimfires doing that at all. i'm thinking the tighter chamber and barrel is the reason behind this. but i like it much better, but i don't know if it is match ready yet. i think a tuner might really help as well.;)

I built a 77/22 for my grandson. Stoned the existing trigger and it breaks a 2 lbs. I put a 16" muzzle heavy Volquartsen barrel and stock on it.
Shoots .750 five shot groups at 100 yds with Lapua Midas+. about 1" with eley black box. Is your barrel free floated? I found it shot much
better supported in the stock about 3" from fore end. Action torqued to 35 inch lbs. I didn't touch the bolt.

Back