My first screamer

Lee Martin

I first shot a purpose built BR rifle in 1986. After 29 years of dabbling I finally got into the zeros. Plenty of low 1's over that time but never a screamer. That changed this past Saturday:

Crude measuring at the range:

Measuring under magnification. Dad and I both put the widest span at 0.326" (or 0.083")

Of course it isn't official and it's only one group. Nonetheless it was rewarding. Load specifics:

• 28.1 grs of LT-32 (150.5 Culver)
• Velocity – haven’t chronographed it yet but I’d guess 3,300 fps
• 68 grain FB Bart’s Ultra just touching the lands.
• Brass – Lapua, turned 0.0095"
• 0.0015” neck tension – 0.261” bushing
• CCI BR-4 primer
• Shoulder bump = 0.001”
• Loaded neck = 0.2625” on a 0.264” chamber. 0.0015” clearance
• Average wind = 0.8 mph during the five minutes it took to complete
• Temp = 50.3, Humidity – 48.4
• Free recoil

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

I first shot a purpose built BR rifle in 1986. After 29 years of dabbling I finally got into the zeros. Plenty of low 1's over that time but never a screamer. That changed this past Saturday:

Crude measuring at the range:

Measuring under magnification. Dad and I both put the widest span at 0.326" (or 0.083")

Of course it isn't official and it's only one group. Nonetheless it was rewarding. Load specifics:

• 28.1 grs of LT-32 (150.5 Culver)
• Velocity – haven’t chronographed it yet but I’d guess 3,300 fps
• 68 grain FB Bart’s Ultra just touching the lands.
• Brass – Lapua, turned 0.0095"
• 0.0015” neck tension – 0.261” bushing
• CCI BR-4 primer
• Shoulder bump = 0.001”
• Loaded neck = 0.2625” on a 0.264” chamber. 0.0015” clearance
• Average wind = 0.8 mph during the five minutes it took to complete
• Temp = 50.3, Humidity – 48.4
• Free recoil

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Very nice group Lee

Dan Honert

Lee, I am saying here (with danger of being labeled an obnoxious person) what many shooters are thinking about your group. That is, in my opinion, it is not a "zero" group. Look at the group that I shot in the SS last May and guess what it measures and how it compares to yours. I hope this does not come off as some type of attack on your shooting ability and keep up the good shooting and your "zeroes" will materialize in competition. Good shooting....James Mock

PS- my group was also shot with Bart's bullets (68gr BT) and I used a BAT/Leonard with 13.75 twist Bartlein barrel and Valdada 36X scope. My load was 30.1 gr. of '09 N133 and Fed 205 primer. The bullets were ~.008 off jam. For the record, my group was a 0.121 as measured by George Kelbly, Jr., who has plenty of experience measuring groups.

Attachments

• A zero group 001.jpg
    A zero group 001.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Lee, I am saying here (with danger of being labeled an obnoxious person) what many shooters are thinking about your group. That is, in my opinion, it is not a "zero" group. Look at the group that I shot in the SS last May and guess what it measures and how it compares to yours....

For the record, my group was a 0.121 as measured by George Kelbly, Jr., who has plenty of experience measuring groups.

Could it be that your calipers are not set at the widest point of your group and that George Jr wasn't using such a large magnifier?

Lee, I am saying here (with danger of being labeled an obnoxious person) what many shooters are thinking about your group. That is, in my opinion, it is not a "zero" group.

Not obnoxious at all. In fact, when I pulled it from the backer I figured it was in the 1's. I mean, it isn't the prettiest of groups. But dad and I measured the thing from every angle and the widest point is 0.326" - 0.328" (dad sees 0.326", I get 0.328"). Here's another close-up:

The 12:00 to 6:00 portion isn't as close to 0.328" as you'd think. Both of us pegged that span at 0.319". And each time we're measuring a hair beyond the black.

Regardless, it doesn't really matter much: 1) it wasn't shot in competition so it isn't official, and 2) it wasn't scored with the proper instrumentation. Zero or no zero, I'll write it off as a good cluster.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
Lee, I'm sure you know this, but measure the sighter hole, measure the group, and subtract what the sighter hole measured. As far as I'm concerned, if you say it's a zero....it's a zero.

Dam fine group, that at least is for sure!!!
Nothing much better than tooling up, and spending precious time working on a barrel chamber, and then have the reward of little bitty groups down range!! Im sure as handy as you and your father are, the barrel work was done in house?? Good on you my friend!! Lee

Lee - yes, it was done all in-house to include the action:

The gun is showing promise but the guy touching the trigger has a lot to learn (especially on the flags). I'm having fun with it though and look forward to competing in the near future.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Hunter, I am not doubting George's measurement. I knew mine was not a zero, but I set the calipers the same as Lee had his set in the picture. A zero group does not have any wings like mine and Mr. Martin's do. It is a fine group and so is mine...but neither are "zeroes". James

Last edited:
Screamer

That's a very Serious looking set up, I'll bet you'll be shooting plenty of groups like the one posted. dogdude

Back