Moving Backer Systems

A group of us are trying to resurrect registered benchrest competition in the DFW area. My understanding is that the moving backer system previously used is not functioning and may or may not be repairable.

Assuming we have to start from scratch, can someone please help with moving backer design information? I'm also researching if some sort of simple mechanical or electronic shot counter system would be feasible. Thanks in advance.

A group of us are trying to resurrect registered benchrest competition in the DFW area. My understanding is that the moving backer system previously used is not functioning and may or may not be repairable.

Assuming we have to start from scratch, can someone please help with moving backer design information? I'm also researching if some sort of simple mechanical or electronic shot counter system would be feasible. Thanks in advance.

Shot counter is easy, but if a person purposely shot past the record paper, intentional miss, it's still register the shot.

I think the moving backer (or some sort of backup group log) is mandatory, irreplaceable.

I do think setting an acoustic or optical electronic target in front of or behind the target would suffice.

A shot counter is probably not allowed by NBRSA or IBS if you plan to hold registered matches. So check into that before you get to deep in a shot counter if you are to hold registered matches. We use a dc motor backer system that travels ten inches a minute and no lag time when reversing with dc motor. Been best system I have seen. I have added a copy of pictures of the backer motor we use.

This is NBRSA rules for backer

. Backers (Moving): A moving backer strip or card will be required for 100 yard, 200 yard, and 300
yard matches in all registered shoots. When the backer strip or card fails to operate at any range
during a match, only the number of shot holes that can be clearly distinguished on the target will
be counted to determine the number of shots on the target. It is the Match Director’s responsibility
to ensure moving backers function properly to capture all shots regardless of weather conditions.

Jim

Attachments

• 20190621_142953.jpg
    20190621_142953.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 488
  • 20190621_143009.jpg
    20190621_143009.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 456
Kyle, since we are no longer holding Registered Group Matches at Tomball, the club might entertain letting you use the target frames and backer system. The backer is a straight pull slide system mounted on the target frame.

Tomball did not build the ones we use. They were acquired from a club in Louisiana some 30 years ago.

They are not in the best of shape, but they worked fine the last time we used them.

Kyle, since we are no longer holding Registered Group Matches at Tomball, the club might entertain letting you use the target frames and backer system. The backer is a straight pull slide system mounted on the target frame.

Tomball did not build the ones we use. They were acquired from a club in Louisiana some 30 years ago.

They are not in the best of shape, but they worked fine the last time we used them.

Jackie:

That’s a gracious offer we will keep in mind.

But, i’m really hoping Tomball starts hosting matches again. With Larry hosting the Crawfish, y’all should inaugurate a new match. Let’s call it the Oyster Classic. I’m not investing in a railgun just to have it sit on the shelf gathering dust.

Mike Ratigan"s book, Extreme Rifle Accuracy, has a section on moving backers
as well as setting up a range.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

Kyle,
I have a set of drawings for target frames and moving backers that have worked pretty well. You can probably adapt / adjust these to work. The file a little too large to attach so just let me know an email address and I'll send them to you. Send a PM or to the email address in my profile and I'll send them along.
Gary

Kyle, Dwayne Pullum told me that the moving backers at Tomball were too heVy and needed to be repaired or replaced and was part of the problem with them not hosting group matches there any longer. Garage door rollers and track work pretty well for the backer system to roll in. The best economical system I’ve seen has had a chain on two sprockets run by a gear motor a roller is mounted on one of the chain links and follies the chain in its loop. A cable is attached to the roller that goes to the backer frame. This is the system they had at Midland this weekend. The distance between the two sprockets is the distance the backer travels before it reverses. On the backer I took home with me on Larry’s possible record small group the smallest I could get it to measure was a .065. Not close enough to send to the records committee. Definitely a victim of the current target paper that doesn’t measure well.

Back