Most economical method to pack a rifle with a 3" forend for shipping ?

Boyd Allen

Yes, I am aware that UPS publishes its requirements. What I am looking for are tips that apply specifically to rifles with benchrest stocks, that generally do not fit inexpensive cases well. I presume that a case within a carton is the way to go. I found these cartons. https://www.uline.com/BL_433/Rifle-Boxes
Are there better ones that I should be looking at?

A Plano SE gun guard inside a cardboard box works well. The 3" wide forend doesn't make any difference. Consider these SE gun guards as disposable. As long as it protects your rifle during shipment it's done its job. If the case survives the trip a time or two it's cheap protection. Just make sure the inside dimensions are what you need. A long range rifle will of course need a longer box than a short range rifle. I'll wrap everything inside the box with bubble wrap and tape it together. If it crosses your mind that you don't have it packed well enough, you don't. Particularly pay attention to barrel muzzles and barrels shipped in boxes. I've had rifles come in where the muzzle was sticking out the end of the box. Most times the barrel is being discarded so no big deal, but anything you can do to keep the rifle from moving in the box is a good thing. The heavier the box, the better it needs to be packed.

Last edited:
That's exactly the case I used twice this year to ship and receive 3'' inch wide BR rifles, they work great and Amazon sends them in the cardboard box.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029KH9FS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A Plano SE gun guard inside a cardboard box works well. The 3" wide forend doesn't make any difference. Consider these SE gun guards as disposable. As long as it protects your rifle during shipment it's done its job. If the case survives the trip a time or two it's cheap protection. Just make sure the inside dimensions are what you need. A long range rifle will of course need a longer box than a short range rifle.

I took your suggestion. I have Amazon Prime, and they were dangling a $70 dollar gift card to get one of their credit cards, so the case ended up being free. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Boyd

Another thing I did that probably isn't totally necessary was wrap tape around the case at each latch. It doesn't cost anything except the tape, and it makes for a more secure shipment.

Robert

Boyd,
In the last 2 months I have shipped 2 BR rifles with 3" for ends, in the same Plano cases as described, I did wrap the bolt in bubblewrap so in case it shifted it would not damage the stocks. The long carton required was impossible to find so I bought two large shipping boxes and with creative cuts and fools I covered the gun case, I also put an envelope inside with personal info. 1 went to Ill $67.00 USPS the other to Tenn. $ $77.00 USPS. I will not use UPS as I shipped a well packed Young rail to Jeff Summers and UPS driver Tossed it from his shoulder onto concrete surface, destroyed the custom wood box, bent the scope, $965.00 of damage and it took 6 months of calls to get UPS to cut Jeff a check!

I was given a tip by Jim Borden years ago....."ship your rifle in a GOOD aluminum case. NO cutouts, something stiff enough to lock the rifle into place" .....with my one GOOD aluminum case I have to kneel on it to get it latched, and dropping the box repeatedly on it's corners and ends results in no slippage. With skinnier guns I've sometimes wrapped them to make them fatter for tight fit.

I mean, you're gonna' get the case BACK.....it ain't like you're buying it just for the one shipment. For the extra 5lb you pay for shipping in a good case I feel it's a worthy value when contrasted against the worth of a BR rifle.

I think that what Jim said was very wise, since I've had rifles and barrels slide around due to poor packing, even coming out etc.....I've sent my good case out empty, shipped it cross-country just so's my gunsmith could ship it back full.

For the past couple of years I've shipped both stocks and complete rifles in heavy corrugated cardboard telescoping boxes from Uline. The specialized boxes fit together and give nearly 1/2" of cardboard around your item. Also, it isn't obvious what's inside as is the case with a hard rifle case (no pun intended). I pack the inside with newspaper, bubble wrap and Styrofoam. I've done this many times and had no damage whatsoever to the stocks and rifles. The Uline item # is: S-4921. I buy boxes regularly from Uline and got 25 of these last year. They should last me longer than I will need them. BTW- I only use USPS for shipping. It's cheaper, easier and IME, more reliable.

YMMV,
Rick

triggers are the one thing i have seen that come in damaged on several occasions. most folks dont know how to pack their stuff. good topic!! lee

Back