Most Accurate American Made .22 RF ....????

I believe there is a price point on the rifle using bluebook, if so Rem 540x or 540xr ( first 2 generations) might make it. I think that the original series of the 541S might fall outside the price point. Savage MKll was also highly favored. There was also a mention of a weight restriction 7.5lbs? if so a lot of what was mentioned in other posts won't conform either. The 540 series might not also, but would be legal in the cmp section unless the same weight restriction applies there also. Does anyone have a link to a full set of rules?

Oh geeze, I missed the weight thing ;)
Remington 580
Marlin 80? (had an 81DL that was as accurate as my Anschutz 1422, both are sadly gone).
Pretty pathetic, but I haven't owned that many American made .22's I'd feel were even marginally competitive in benchrest, least not in that weight class and budget (sigh).
Heck of an eye opening question.

Barnyard benchrest target has 20 bulls for record, you can see a target at Chief City Shooter's Club web site, they are in Pontiac, IL. I'm not sure if they have the rules online; but what I remember is Sporter Class, rifle must be made in America, cost less than $500, must be a repeater any type action, weight with scope 7-1/2lbs, scope 6X max, ammo must be american made cost less than $5.00 box. The CMP class removes the weight, can be a single shot, scope 12X. Pretty sure that's the basics. thanks, Douglas

Douglas,
not meaning to hijack the thread, but what CMP game are you describing? Only one I've heard of is rimfire sporter, a 3-p event with deliberate and rapid fire stages.
Thanks,
warren

the CMP class i'm refering to is wrapped within the Barnyard Benchrest game out of Chief City; same target, any rifle sold by CMP, 40x, 52d, 82g, etc. thanks, douglas

As far as sporters goes I have several 22's-Winchesters-Remingtons -coopers-kimbers -anschutz etc. But my all time favorite is my remington 40x sporter with a 5 shot magazine from the 70's.

Here are the rules

From the Sanamon County Rifle Associatons Web site . . .

Barnyard Benchrest is a .22 cal 50 yard benchrest match. It does not require the costly equipment of some of the other divisions. It is a good place to start out and see if you like the shooting sports. Equipment listed below:

A North American made .22 RF rifle with original stock, barrel and trigger. Any type of action is allowed. The rifle must retail (as of 12/07) or have 1999 Blue Book (100% condition) for $500 or less . Glass bedding, trigger job and re-crowning of barrel allowed. No barrel tuners. Rifles must weigh 7.5 lb. or less with scope. Rifles will be weighed prior to competitor’s 1st 2008 Match. Winners will be spot checked. Scope must be 6.5X or less (variable OK if set at 6.5X or less). Ammo must be Ameri-can made and have a list price of $5.00 per 50 or less. (No Federal 711B will be allowed with the dimpled case ). No wind flags are allowed. Any sand bag style rests may be used. A front bipod may be used, but will be considered as part of the total weight of the rifle.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They also have a set of rules for the more expensive rifles sold by the CMP:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CMP Benchrest is shot with the same target and timeframs is the Barnyard Division. CMP stands for the Civilian Marksmanship Program which is a program through the United States Military, for training in marksmanship skills. CMP Division allows for higher prices rifles and scopes with higher powers.

Any .22 RF target rifle purchased through the CMP (or civilian equivalent rifle). Above rules apply except: no weight restriction, no $ limit on rifle and 12X or less scope (or variable set at 12X or less).

Barnyard and CMP benchrest was invented by Steve Hollock at the Pontiac range. He is now deceased. They wanted to introduce benchrest to the average shooter that didn't want to spend the money for the expensive equipment required for IR RBA and ARA. I heard Steve once say that Barnyard and CMP is what kept the club going. Half the fee's collected are kept by the club and the other half are divided up between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for each target. They also give pins for the top 4 places. Each year we have the Barnyard and CMP Nationals where we shoot 5 targets. We have a much larger turnout for this than the IR and RBA. They shoot this afternoons after the IR or RBA. Some of us shoot both and shoot the whole day. We often have 12 - 15 shooters in the afternoon. If you go tt:
www.chiefcityshooters.com
and click on schedule you will find the official rules for both Barnyard and CMP.

Barnyard and CMP benchrest was invented by Steve Hollock at the Pontiac range. He is now deceased. They wanted to introduce benchrest to the average shooter that didn't want to spend the money for the expensive equipment required for IR RBA and ARA. I heard Steve once say that Barnyard and CMP is what kept the club going. Half the fee's collected are kept by the club and the other half are divided up between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for each target. They also give pins for the top 4 places. Each year we have the Barnyard and CMP Nationals where we shoot 5 targets. We have a much larger turnout for this than the IR and RBA. They shoot this afternoons after the IR or RBA. Some of us shoot both and shoot the whole day. We often have 12 - 15 shooters in the afternoon. If you go tt:
www.chiefcityshooters.com
and click on schedule you will find the official rules for both Barnyard and CMP.

We also have people that start with the Barnyard and CMP and then after finding they really like this type of shooting they then progress into IR and RBA. This is what happened in my case. I tryed CMP late in the season and the next year I had a new 10.5# and a used sporter for IR and RBA. I have been full bore now for 6 years now after swallowing hook, line and sinker.

Gene, thanks for the link, clears thing up. I guess I was mistaken about the sporter class rifle had to be a repeater. I think I had in my mind because I don't see anyone shooting a single-shot bolt action; most guys use a repeater bolt action. maybe the reason is there are no single shots that meet the other criteia? I'm thinking of some of those old Remingtons or winchesters would do better?

Anyway, long time no see, i hope all is well with you; I got a new 40X being built as we speak.

Thanks, Douglas

The rules say any action can be used. Single shots are fine as I use a 580 Remington which is single shot. The problem with the old Remingtons and Winchesters is its hard to get the trigger down for effective target shooting. The 580 series of Remingtons you can drill and tap the trigger to make adjustible so you can get it down to to the 1.5# range.

I had (have) a 581 with 2nd action screw, glass bedded, trigger job, weaver T-6X and with 711b, not even in the ballpark being competitive, my guess is barrel. However, it is my best little tin-can shooter. I should try to find a nice 580. thanks, Douglas

I think 580's are better shooters. Action is stiffer as it doesn't have the cut out for the magazine. They are hard to find though.

580 my next gun show search, they're out there you gotta be patient. I been wanting a 510 smoothbore for a couple years, just found one that was made in 1961 and is the next thing to unfired i have ever seen and only $150. you just can't be in a rush. Remember Chuck Divito? he had a hongisto 581 that was a pretty good 50/50 sporter, i wonder what ever happened to that guy, i ain't seen him in years? thanks, Douglas

INo good us mad guns or ammo????

BARRETT 50 bmg good to one and a half miles lake city ammo us made but for simple Remington 700 308 lake city or in 223 good 200 yard rat gun the glass is always the cost 1903 Springfield it is barnyard and every farmer I know has on either his father grandfather or he carried I Europe or Asia (50 bmg would be Texas barnyard)

Back