Moly

I am sure there will

What is the best way to remove moly from barrel-want to shoot naked bullets.
be plenty who will come up with more intricate, complicated, involved methods than this, but I simply clean the living crap out of the barrel like it was coppered beyond recovery and then go shoot bare. Moly is NOT magic.
IMHO, David

ammonia yup

Old school Butch's (the red stuff) just wipes it out. Ain't sure about the new yellow.

Montana Extreme Copper Killer With A Bear On It will also just wipe it out.

Couple shots, it's like it never happened. I've even de-coated bullets.

I haven't put a brush into a barrel in 15yrs.....I won't ever again.

I don't know how to get moly out but will ask why you think you need to get it out...rather than just continue shooting with "naked" bullets? I'm really asking...don't know...

I tend to agree with what others seem to believe. My thinking is, give it a thorough cleaning with Butch's or even Ed's Red(which I swear by, BTW)..and shoot it. I believe it's possible that moly, as well as many other more common chemicals may get into the pores of the steel, under the high heat and pressure. Being hygroscopic, it may promote corrosion in barrels that are not maintained reasonably. By "reasonably", I don't mean any BR shooter that I've ever met, but rather, the hunter who never cleans his deer rifle.:) Aside from that...how's it shoot? That's what matters to me. I've never seen a noticeable drop off in accuracy potential this way. FWIW.---Mike

p.s.--I'll add that naked vs moly MAY take a very small tune adjustment. I've never seen big differences in velocity that I read about on the interwebs:confused:. It may be, for some. So, YMMV.

One more thing...the same applies to Danzac. I just clean well and shoot what I want to shoot after that. May take a shot or two to settle down, but nothing else I've noticed.

Last edited:
The idea is to fill-in all the cracks, hole, knicks etc.... I've been using moly, danzac on all my bullets both hunting and bench rest shooting since the craze started and never try to clean the barrel until the patch is snow white...works for me! I think that's the single biggest mistake shooters think and do when using any coating, just like the barrel would rust to pieces when you use it..clean it about the same amount as you normally would do and give it a fair shake and see what happens.

I don't know how to get moly out but will ask why you think you need to get it out...rather than just continue shooting with "naked" bullets? I'm really asking...don't know...

+2

google the Norma website....... only scientific data I know of pertaining to moly..............

bill

Sir.

ammonia yup

Old school Butch's (the red stuff) just wipes it out. Ain't sure about the new yellow.

Montana Extreme Copper Killer With A Bear On It will also just wipe it out.

Couple shots, it's like it never happened. I've even de-coated bullets.

I haven't put a brush into a barrel in 15yrs.....I won't ever again.
Please check your pm when convenient.
LASER

It comes right off my hands with soapy water so maybe some Aqua Clean or other water based bore cleaner would work .

Back