Modifying Optics on rifle scope

hardrockjr

I have just gotten back into benchrest after a dozen years away. The scope magnifications have really jumped! I have a Lyman/Seibert 25 LWBR scope that is 32X. Can this scope be modified to increase the magnificantion to say 40X or 45X? If so, who provides these services?

I think you at the max on that scope. You could sell it and buy the weaver 36x for about what you would get for that old one.
I have a 20 I never modified. its still worth a few bucks. The weaver can be bumped to as much as 55X by Ackerman.

Last edited:
Can this scope be modified to increase the magnificantion to say 40X or 45X?

Probably not without it looking like you are viewing through the bottom of a coke bottle.

If so, who provides these services?

Therein lies another problem the number of people bumping scopes these days is diminished and new people do not seem to be taking up the trade. Probably because of the good supply of readily available high power scopes.

Ackerman can bump a scope to 55x he usualy likes to use weavers and leupolds.
you also get a new reticle change price was a $270 or so.
He does very good work. Dick thomas use to do them but he has passed away {rip} nice guy. Not sure about Walley Siebert .
Maybe he is gone too Hope not nice guy also,
There are a few optical boosters that you can put on the back of a scope, but that Lyman has limited eye relief.
You can loose eye relief on a boost. You must tell them just what you want. and what you expect.
You may also loose some light with a boost. Now we have leupold 45x that weigh the same as a weaver for what i'm told.
They have a 30 mm tube so you have to get new rings. Then theres the cadillac priced March scope and a few others in the high $$$$ range.
a lot to consider...

If your existing scope is solid, I think you can live with 32X. Doesn't really matter what other folks are using if you are winning. I had such a scope and it had a bit of rust on the eyepiece that matched up with a scar on my eyebrow. But...I picked up a few pine boards along the way. A piece of foam rubber and a band aid took care of the eye relief "problem".

Some of the most solid adjustments that I have ever used were those in the old Lyman All American 20x that came out in '72 ( I think). Years back, I did some checking around on what scopes had the most reliable adjustments, and based on that information, I think that you should get rid of that old piece of junk, replace it with something a lot costlier, and send it to me ;-)

Got a 45x instead

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my question on boosting scope magnification. I got a Leupold 45X instead and stayed in weight class limit so my problem is resolved. All the best, Hardrockjr

Back