Modeling clay for bedding

tiny68

What type of "modeling clay" do you use to fill in the voids while bedding? Are talking play-dough or something more application specific?

Thanks, Tim

On Dave's recommendation/posts I tried Play Dough, and it's great! Comes off very easy. Regular clay sticks and is a pain to get out in small places.

Be very careful with Playdough. It contains a high concentration of NaCl and will promote rusting. The salt was added to discourage small children from eating it. I use modeling clay and it is not as easy to remove but does not have the salt. Good shooting...James

Dave, This Dan in Tn. thank you for shipping that action so quick, It looks great! everything I expected this is my first custom action and I am already pleased with it.

Be very careful with Playdough. It contains a high concentration of NaCl and will promote rusting. The salt was added to discourage small children from eating it.

Good tip, though sodium chloride (table salt) is very soluble in water. Just wash stuff off & dry it -- unless you've got a wood stock, I suppose. While NaCl is not soluble in rubbing alcohol, rubbing alcohol has a lot of water in it, and is kinda "self drying." Best to use water...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_chloride#Aqueous_solutions

Last edited:
Is there a particular plumbers putty you guys like? The stuff I use is pretty soft and sticky, sticky enough that we call it "pipe goop."

Or are you referring to a caulking of some sort, like glaziers caulk?

al

For what it's worth, here is the recipe for play-dough. Seems pretty easy to make, & I guess you could just leave out the salt? (cooking is not one of my strengths...)

No-Cook Playdough Recipe

Ingredients:
1 cup salt
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup water
2 Tablespoons oil
A few drops of food coloring

Directions:

1. Mix all ingredients very well and store in plastic bag or covered jar.

EDIT:

My wife says the salt will stiffen the dough. Might not work without it, except you could probably use cornstarch...

Last edited:
When I was building my rifle last winter and was ready to bed my stock, I decided that I HAD to have modeling clay. You know, the stuff we used to play with as kids. Not Play-Dough.....CLAY.

Well......I looked around and the only place that I found proper modeling clay (yes, it even smelled like the stuff we played with as kids) was at a craft store. I think it was a "Michaels" crafty store. Yes.....one of those places my wife shops in and I wouldn't want to be found dead in.

Alas....I found it, bedded the gun.....turned out perfect....I'm happy.

Jerry

Is there a particular plumbers putty you guys like? The stuff I use is pretty soft and sticky, sticky enough that we call it "pipe goop."

I use the stuff from the big box stores that comes in a small plastic tub. It is like clay you can roll it into a rope and place it where you want. Sometimes when you first take it out of the tub it is real stiff but softens when you work it. Just the opposite of when .............. well I better not go there.

al
The stuff you use to set a drain pipe into the sink or tub. It's a little softer consistency than clay.

Attachments

• plumbersputty.jpg
    plumbersputty.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 217
aHAA, NOT pipe goop..... my pipe goop, soft and sticky like anti-sieze and comes with a brush..... is not this thick. I'll go get some of this thicker stuff :)

I've used play-dough for 25 years and have never had the first problem with rust.
Here's a thought. Maybe it's because I (we) all use release agent. I use Johnsons paste wax. It's an old trick for weather proofing firearms. Several coats of wax and water runs off.

Dave

Back