Midwest Benchrest - New Southern Missouri Range

More ranges means more shooters to the sport. There will be local people who will come out to the range and try out long range shooting that would have never traveled a great distance to try it. Some will become regular shooters.

I would also think it would be more sucessful with the local people with at least some type of advertising. I traveled to Pella a few years back and did not know where the range was and could not find anyone locally that even knew such a thing existed.

As for me less than 300 miles I will be there and I wish it were even closer.

Thanks for your contribution to the sport!

Gary

Will you be on the IBS 2009 Schedule?
Yes, I will be submitting dates shortly.

....too many clubs can spread the crowds too thin....
I wouldn't disagree if we were talking about clubs every 50-75 miles, but in reality, there will be a net increase of one range- with a considerable (300+ miles) distance to other ranges. I'm also excited that there is a range being built in northern Missouri (and looking forward to shooting there), no different than those that are excited about shooting at the range that I'm building. Having a range in southern Missouri hasn't negatively impacted the surrounding clubs; in fact, the sport has enjoyed steady growth. I agree with glbreil, and intend on doing what I can to bring others into our sport.

There will be local people who will come out to the range and try out long range shooting that would have never traveled a great distance to try it. Some will become regular shooters.

Thanks for your contribution to the sport!

Gary
I agree that promoting locally will bring a group of shooters into the long range game that currently don't participate due to lack of exposure. There are others out there that share our fascination of competition, precision rifles and long distance shooting, that will get in the game after seeing what it's all about.

Thanks to all who have expressed their interest/support.

Robert
Midwest Benchrest
robert@midwestbenchrest.com

Last edited:
Progress Continues

Wanted to let everyone know that things are starting to come together. There's still a lot left to do, but I will have more control from this point forward. Initially, the 1000 yard shooting lane was logged, then was cleared, and then the dirt work began. Long story short, and approx. 2400+ cubic yards later, dirt work on the 600 & 1000 yard berms and firing line are nearly complete. Lumber for the target frames should be ready this weekend. I apologize that the website isn't up yet, but I just haven't been able to spend enough time getting it together. Bear with me, it is coming. My top priority right now is getting the range itself put together. Pictures and dates will be coming soon. Stay tuned.

Robert

Looking forward

Looking forward to making a visit some day. How many benches are you planning on initially?

Thanks
Rob

Robert was at the St Louis 600 yd match this week end and thinks that by the end of april or may he will be ready if the weather will let them finish the dirt work on the back stops.

Mike Eshleman

Progress

Just wanted let everyone know that although it hasn't been as fast as I would have liked, progress is still being made on a daily basis. After I get home from work (my regular job) and on weekends, I have been working on bench frames, gongs/frames, and pouring bench tops. Now that I'm close to being finished with each of the individual items, they just have to be "assembled". I'm attempting to post pictures, but bear with me as I'm a little rusty with this.

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

My hesitation in posting a schedule previously was that there were still a lot of variables in play that I didn't have control over (dozer, weather, etc.). I'm still fighting the weather to some degree, but at least now the rain isn't just freezing in the dirt. I had originally intended on shooting late April, and obviously that's not going to work. I'm now looking at late May / early June. I realize that a lot of guys are needing to nail down some dates, and I plan on posting a tentative schedule tommorrow or Friday night. Trust me, I'm definitely more ready than anyone else to have this finished, so that I can get back to shooting myself.

Thanks,

Robert

P.S... If ever given the chance, don't ask me to quote how long a construction project will take, or how much it will cost....:D

Tentative dates

These dates aren't written in stone, but this is what I'm looking at for IBS shoots for the 2009 season:

May 30 - 1000 & May 31 - 600
June 20 - 1000 & June 21 - 600
July 18 - 1000 & July 19 - 600
August 22 - 1000 & August 23 - 600
September 12 - 1000 & September 13 - 600

Robert

Back