Midwest Benchrest - New Southern Missouri Range

ls2005019227

Just wanted to announce that a new 600 & 1000 yard range (Midwest Benchrest) is being built in southern Missouri. This range is located approximately 15 miles southeast of Houston (Just type the city of origin into this link to view the range location and calculate approximate drive times). Currently, I’ve designed this range with 15 benches, although there is plenty of room to expand in the future if necessary. This range faces N 85° E, or an azimuth of 85°, and is being built through timber which should help in protecting against the wind. There will be plenty of room to accommodate campers / RV’s, and there are several hotels within 15 minutes. I’m working on the website (midwestbenchrest.com) which will be up in the near future. I’ve been in contact with the IBS, and will post a match schedule once construction has been completed.

As a shooter, I’m building this range to be as “shooter friendly” as possible. Ideas and/or suggestions are welcome. e.g. - I’m currently trying to decide whether to use concrete bench tops (low/no maintenance), or whether hardwood (harmonic dampening) might be a better choice. Feel free to email me with your thoughts or questions.

I look forward to meeting / seeing you at a match.

Robert Ross
Midwest Benchrest
robert@midwestbenchrest.com

New Midwest IBS 1000 & 600 Range

Thank you Robert for stepping up and providing the shooters a range that is "shooter friendly". The key to being friendly is "convenience". Most of us will agree that we are limited to our budgets as to how much we can afford for the conveniences.

With that being said, I would agree to concrete benches, then you should be done with maintenance on them. A covered firing line would be nice along with a covered place to clean. Parking, unloading and setup can be cumbersome.

Attempting to please all the participants will be futile, however, with you being a shooter, you will understand the trials and tribulations that go along with this new project.

Have the vision for expansion and create a fun enviroment and I bet you will have more participation than you would have predicted.;)

Your friends from Tennessee will be the first in line when the gate is open.:D

Darrell Jones
Memphis

If I read this right...

.... the benches will be facing almost due east, which may cause some sight problems in the morning, but a great sight picture in the latter part of the day.

Also, I always said that if I could build a range, the bench tops would be wood only. But beggars can not be choosers. Concrete benches have done fine in the past. Or you can do like NC or Pa, and glue plywood to the tops.

Get it built, and I will try and bring some folks from Va for a big match.

Danny

Bench tops

At PA we have concrete bases with a plywood top bolted to the base. Then we have another piece of plywood screwed to that piece. Gets the benefits of both worlds.

Its only 651 miles from my house. Need some riders!!!!!!

I have an idea....you guys building ranges in the midwest should build them 500 to 700 miles further north!!!:D:D

I'm just sayin.........;)

Close enough!

526 Miles for me. Thats 120 miles closer than Hawk's Ridge! If the dates are good for us the MS Boys will come.
Baron

Last edited by a moderator:
count us in,,,,

only 83 miles from our future home.

We look forward to making the matches.

Thanks for putting in a range!!!!!!

Hey Rob Ashcraft...

...is this close enough to call our "home" range next year? I was thinking about one of those new WV ranges might do the trick too.

Jeff in OH

Dunno about "home"

Dunno about calling it home, but would love to make a trip there. Looking forward to trips to Harry Jones and Whitehorse in WV, World Open in Williamsport, IBS Nats in Iowa, and a trip or two to NC next year. Will see how it all plays out. Maybe find a trailer so we can load up 3 or 4 of us for the road trips.

Later
Rob

Whitehorse

Dunno about calling it home, but would love to make a trip there. Looking forward to trips to Harry Jones and Whitehorse in WV, World Open in Williamsport, IBS Nats in Iowa, and a trip or two to NC next year. Will see how it all plays out. Maybe find a trailer so we can load up 3 or 4 of us for the road trips.

Later
Rob

Rob, are the Whitehorse and Harry Jones two different ranges in WV ?? If so will
they both be on the IBS 2009 schedule in February? I would like to have
directions from Thunder Valley to these clubs. Good Shooting, Gerry Nordmann

"Intelligence is a poor substitute for Common Sense" :D

2 Different Ranges

Whitehorse is south of Clarksburg, WV. Take I-77S to Parkersburg. US 50 East to Clarksburg. South on I-79 to exit 115. South on SR 20 and watch for the signs.

Harry Jones is just outside Fairview, WV in Marion County. Many ways to get there, but the best is probably to take I-77S to I-70E. I-70E to I-79S. Exit I-79 at Waynesburg, PA, exit 14. Follow 218S into Fairview. Turn right on Main St and follow it about 1.5 mi to the range. Range is on the right.

I have GPS coordinates for both of them if you need them as well.

Both are slated to be shooting IBS matches in 2009.

Merry Christmas
Rob

Location, Location, Location

Rob, Thanks for the info. I am interested in seeing how the IBS is going to
fill out their 2009 Schedule - with all the new clubs comming on line. eek
Like you, I have to hit the World Open in July, and Pella is my home club.
Thunder Valley is a MUST a few times a year and the new Harry Jones is
going to be on my list also. The new Missouri North Club is close enough,
so I will probably go there. I like to go to a Match every other week end,
if the money holds out. With two clubs in WV, and Missouri, who holds the
State Championships ?? Too much of a good thing ???? Too bad we can't
have a club in each State. I have to see the
IBS 2009 Schedule before I can start planning.
"Badlands"

Gerry
IMO if you have the problem of more than one range alt. the state shoot from year to year.

To much of agood thing? And one in each state would be great except if you are located SW Missouri you have ARK. OKLA. KAN. IOWA. TENN. ILL. all easy drives and last count i could not find many months on my calendar that had week ends enough cover all them places.

IMO one in IOWA two in Mo. gives the shooters that travel the option of when and were they shoot weather it be once,twice,three times a month.

Robert help me with this:p

Mike E

Options / Geography

Gerry,
For a moment, I almost thought that you were complaining about having options.....:D From your post, I would venture that you have the option of travelling more than most. When you compare match results for last season between Pella and Aurora, there were an average of four individuals that drove from southern Missouri to Iowa with only two that went to every match. Unless I missed someone, when looking at the match results for Aurora last season, I didn't see the name of any consistent Iowa shooter on the list. At that rate, it wouldn't matter if the matches were scheduled for the same dates; but that's not what I want (as a shooter) since I plan on shooting at the other ranges as well. Just to keep the geography in perspective:

Portage, IN to Pella, IA 336 mi
Portage, IN to Spickard, MO 457 mi
Portage, IN to Yukon, MO 476 mi
Pella, IA to Spickard, MO 107 mi
Yukon, MO to Spickard, MO 312 mi
Yukon, MO to Pella, IA 357 mi

You're right that out of the three ranges, Midwest Benchrest would be the farthest from Portage, IN. However, this is not the case for every shooter. The point is, that these ranges will be drawing shooters from entirely different geographic areas. To wrap this up, there's not a conflict that I can see from either perspective (shooter/range owner) with scheduling and the other ranges. I'm not saying that shooters don't travel, but I don't agree with the premise -
Too much of a good thing ????
since this will make our sport more available to those less interested in a longer drive.

With a 7 week-old baby and a full time job, I won't be able to travel to all of the lower 48 going to shoots this summer (I'd really love to though!), but I plan on making as many as possible. If you can get a free weekend and have the chance to travel down this way, we'd love to have you. ;)

Robert
Midwest Benchrest

Gerry,
For a moment, I almost thought that you were complaining about having options.....:D From your post, I would venture that you have the option of travelling more than most. When you compare match results for last season between Pella and Aurora, there were an average of four individuals that drove from southern Missouri to Iowa with only two that went to every match. Unless I missed someone, when looking at the match results for Aurora last season, I didn't see the name of any consistent Iowa shooter on the list. At that rate, it wouldn't matter if the matches were scheduled for the same dates; but that's not what I want (as a shooter) since I plan on shooting at the other ranges as well. Just to keep the geography in perspective:

Portage, IN to Pella, IA 336 mi
Portage, IN to Spickard, MO 457 mi
Portage, IN to Yukon, MO 476 mi
Pella, IA to Spickard, MO 107 mi
Yukon, MO to Spickard, MO 312 mi
Yukon, MO to Pella, IA 357 mi

You're right that out of the three ranges, Midwest Benchrest would be the farthest from Portage, IN. However, this is not the case for every shooter. The point is, that these ranges will be drawing shooters from entirely different geographic areas. To wrap this up, there's not a conflict that I can see from either perspective (shooter/range owner) with scheduling and the other ranges. I'm not saying that shooters don't travel, but I don't agree with the premise -since this will make our sport more available to those less interested in a longer drive.

With a 7 week-old baby and a full time job, I won't be able to travel to all of the lower 48 going to shoots this summer (I'd really love to though!), but I plan on making as many as possible. If you can get a free weekend and have the chance to travel down this way, we'd love to have you. ;)

Robert
Midwest Benchrest

Robert, Thanks for the reply. 476 miles is closer than the Doe Run club, and
I did make a few of their matches. Will you be on the IBS 2009 Schedule?
I have seen clubs come and go over the years - I am 73. And, it takes a lot
of time and money to start a club and keep it running. Your location can
determine how many shooters you can draw. I hate to see a club go down,
and too many clubs can spread the crowds too thin. When the New Schedule
comes out I will see if I can get over to your range at least once. Merry
Christmas, Gerry

Back